• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. sdtom wrote
    Has anyone seen Largo Winch?

It isn't released until mid-December in France, it's world premiere, so I doubt anyone will say yes to that question for a few weeks yet.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    Well, I couldn't resist. I went back and found my video cassette and watched it again.

Our Man Flint is...well I don't know what Our Man Flint is. It's an alleged spoof of Bond. Yet it takes itself so seriously at times that you aren't always sure. It's as if they started out trying to make fun of Bond and then switched to an attempt to build a parallel film series. Part of the problem may be that, when viewed today, some of the more absurd elements (Flint's "better than the government's" gadgets, his absurd amount of knowledge) were later used in Bond films, particularly once Moore took the role. Viewed in the 60s, I imagine these elements would have been funnier based on the Bond series' more tempered approach. (The most excessive Bond film when this came out was Thunderball.)

There is a lot of what may either be silliness or inconsistency in this movei. Flint snaps his girls out of their trances by telling them, "You're not a pleasure unit" although his keeping four (soon five) women at his pad suggests the opposite ("Later, baby.") The "Un-American" eagle can pick him out of what is obviously a crowd of Americans. And so on. Coburn is good, with a hint of the sardonic in his deadpan portrayal. Sometimes it's a little too deadpan and you start believing him, though. Lee J. Cobb is amusing as the head of the government organization (Z.O.W.I.E), although again, you're never quite sure how to take him. The femme fatale (Gila Golan) is lovely, but a little wooden.

There are kitschy 60s references to spare in here - Flint's primary contribution to Austin Powers. Yet even they also seem to take themselves a little too literally at times. The music is largely a repetitive retread of Flint's Theme, which may have been a comment on the constant reworking of the Bond theme. It still manages to retain its freshness, however, a tribute to how well it's used. (Again, not unlike the Bond films.) This is a fun movie, especially if you're a fan of the 60s and possibly if you're a fan of Bond...although I don't think you really need to be to enjoy Flint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Just trying to fit the music into the film. Thanks Michael!!!!
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A Study in Terror (British) was less than. Even some of the John Scott score seemed out of place.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Watched Dawn of the Dead (the new version) last night.
    Ving Rhames is just awesome. I think it is one of the better zombie movies. Maybe because of the good character development...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008
    ah blah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    ah blah

Didn't like it then Tom? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not really
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS (1983) had a cast of Vincent Price, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, John Carradine. Sound interesting? It was the director Pete Walker's last film and I saw why. This film had Desi Arnaz Jr. in it. One of the few one star ratings I give out.
  2. omaha wrote
    Ving Rhames is just awesome. I think it is one of the better zombie movies. Maybe because of the good character development...

Dawn of the Dead remake: I like it too... Especially the last third is thrilling, I definitely had an Aliens kind of vibe, with the whole escape scene in the campers, it reminded me so much of the Ripley's rescue.

Saw WALL-E (BLU-RAY) yesterday. Man I was so looking forward to it due that I overestimated it a little, in part due to the hype... Don't get me wrong, it's still a fine film and I wouldn't have minded if the whole movie was like the first part, I mean the whole waste disposal robot left on earth for cleanup duties going on adventures is what attracted me from the start. After Wall-E and EVE leave earth it all goes into regular animated movie mode, lots of goofy characters and chaotic situations clearly to please the kids. Though I had a few giggles.

I will re-watch it, I should have a better time with it, once I accept it for what it is.

And the blu-ray quality is stunning, the format is invented for animation, believe me!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Incredible Hulk

Truly spectacular action movie. Great performance by Norton and surprsinlgy good direction by Leterrier (I have to admit I found really odd that they choosed him as director). The action sequences are awesome, specially the final combat between The Hulk and Abomination and the fight in the campus park.

4 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    I'd go to see it too if i wasn't giggling all the time with the thought of Norton becoming the Hulk; or with the thought of everything Hulk-esque shame
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interesting how your experience was so notably different from my own, Marselus.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    RV: The Mist

One of the better adaptations of Stephen King's horror works, by the director of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption, from one of King's best -and most Lovecraftlike- novellas.
    Very rich in mood, and powerfully evokes the helpless eerieness of the novella's setting where two dimension's collide: after a freak storm, some small-town folk barricade themselves in local supermarket against a very thick fog when it becomes clear "there's something IN the fog, and it's taking people".

Not without flaws: the religious maniac lady gets WAY too much speech time without anyone interrupting, which simply doesn't feel very realistic (especially in this day and age). And we get to see several "monsters" very clearly which moves the 'unknown terror' into a 'yucky horror' domain (which has never appealed to me). But the good outweighs the bad, as the acting is very good across the board, the terror and feelings of desperation are stark and uncompromising, and the ending... well, let's just say if you have read the novella: the ending here has a twist on that.
    And it's very, very bleak.

4 out of 5

Mark Isham's score is moody and scary and works a treat in the movie.
    I'm not too sure it would be a good listen away from it, though.

3.5 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote

3.5 out of 5

No, it's not. Which reminds me, Isham has fallen into a lack of inspiration lately and saddens me;
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote

One of the better adaptations of Stephen King's horror works, by the director of The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption, from one of King's best -and most Lovecraftlike- novellas.
    Very rich in mood, and powerfully evokes the helpless eerieness of the novella's setting where two dimension's collide: after a freak storm, some small-town folk barricade themselves in local supermarket against a very thick fog when it becomes clear "there's something IN the fog, and it's taking people".

Not without flaws: the religious maniac lady gets WAY too much speech time without anyone interrupting, which simply doesn't feel very realistic (especially in this day and age). And we get to see several "monsters" very clearly which moves the 'unknown terror' into a 'yucky horror' domain (which has never appealed to me). But the good outweighs the bad, as the acting is very good across the board, the terror and feelings of desperation are stark and uncompromising, and the ending... well, let's just say if you have read the novella: the ending here has a twist on that.

4 out of 5

Now we totally agree wink
    The best King adaptation (of a horror novel ). Darabont really knows how to read Stephen King (both King´s horror and dramatic novels).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

3.5 out of 5

No, it's not. Which reminds me, Isham has fallen into a lack of inspiration lately and saddens me;

I want to hear 'another' Black Dahlia. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

3.5 out of 5

I want to hear 'another' Black Dahlia. love

Who doesn't? sad
  3. omaha wrote

Dawn of the Dead is what a horror movie is all about, thrill, scare, gore, tension, character development (which you either love or hate) and raw power, it is a brilliant movie
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I'll go back to Val Lewton tonight
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    The Incredible Hulk

Truly spectacular action movie. Great performance by Norton and surprsinlgy good direction by Leterrier (I have to admit I found really odd that they choosed him as director). The action sequences are awesome, specially the final combat between The Hulk and Abomination and the fight in the campus park.

4 out of 5

punk Like a really good comic book fix!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

4 out of 5

Now we totally agree wink
    The best King adaptation (of a horror novel ). Darabont really knows how to read Stephen King (both King´s horror and dramatic novels).

cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2008
    The Body Snatchers with Karloff and Lugosi is a classic!!! Music by Roy Webb
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    RV: Blood in Blood out
    Last weekend saw Dolores Claiborne, and now this. Two Taylor Hackford gems in a row. I think I'm fast becoming a huge fan of him. Blood in Blood out was an EPIC! Truly a movie that warranted the three-hour running time. A pallet of characters like you wouldn't believe. Obviously a very depressing image of male human nature, but that's life. And this movie shows you an uncompromising view of it. And of course one of my all-time favourite scores by Bill Conti.

Also saw:
    The Omen
    Finally. The original one. That was indeed quite impactful, and I really enjoyed it. Maybe slowed down a little too much in the middle, and if it were me I would've spotted the monastery scene with a Goldsmith piece. Otherwise no complaints, and Goldsmith's score was just as every bit effective as I'd expected. And watching him talk on those DVD extras was awesome.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    The Body Snatchers with Karloff and Lugosi is a classic!!! Music by Roy Webb

If memory serves, I think this film started Lugosi's resentment against Karloff due to the latter getting the larger part? Karloff really is wonderfully creepy in this one (which has nothing to do with the alien invasion by the same name of some decades later).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Karloff as Gray was superb. RLS story.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Cast Away
    I really enjoy this film.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    omaha wrote
    Cast Away
    I really enjoy this film.

I wanted to expand on this

The direction and acting is top notch! Silvestri's sparing use of the score is perfect. The use of the silence, darkness, and the sound of the waves is very effective.

And the ending was well executed. One of, if not my favorite survival film.

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Agreed. Zemeckis is truly one of my favourite directors. Always has.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Cast Away is top-notch from start to finish, a truly captivating experience. And the score is one of the most heartfelt and stirring works Silvestri has ever done.