• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009
    You [probably] won't like The Informant. I've already told you this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, but i've not listened to it yet. Depends, there's a big possibility i won't like it but i am in for more descriptions. It's not that i always do not like cool, uplifting music though (if that's the case), i mean i am a sucker for Henry Mancini (for instance) but Marvin's probably not him wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

It doesn't half go on a bit.

You make it sound like a bad thing?

Depends on your point of view, I guess. Fine for a train journey, but it would have to be a bit more interesting than it is (at least, have a bit more variety) to warrant me spending 80 minutes of time at home listening to it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, but i've not listened to it yet. Depends, there's a big possibility i won't like it but i am in for more descriptions. It's not that i always do not like cool, uplifting music though (if that's the case), i mean i am a sucker for Henry Mancini (for instance) but Marvin's probably not him wink

It's a bit like Mancini, Barry, Hefti, Quincey Jones in their 60s cool vibe. I'd be very surprised if you liked it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    MICHAEL KAMEN - Brazil

Simply brilliant, charming, passionate and sexy, this is film music at its best.

Indeed, plus Kate Bush gorgeous version of the song cool tongue

Absolutely stunning, score and song.

beer

The song is very old by the way ( not written by Kamen )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's a bit like Mancini, Barry, Hefti, Quincey Jones in their 60s cool vibe. I'd be very surprised if you liked it!

I've yet to listen but from your description I think I will like it a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So do I! (Hope you're not disappointed after I've built it up.)
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    NP: Knife Edge (Guy Farley)

What a treat. Homages to Goldsmith, Barry and Herrmann are plentiful, but Farley makes the sound fresh again. And while the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra isn't comparable to the U.S. or London orchestras, they did a superb job with Farley's score. I'll have to buy it whenever my funds are a bit more stable.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009 edited
    Matt C wrote
    NP: Knife Edge (Guy Farley)

What a treat. Homages to Goldsmith, Barry and Herrmann are plentiful, but Farley makes the sound fresh again. And while the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra isn't comparable to the U.S. or London orchestras, they did a superb job with Farley's score. I'll have to buy it whenever my funds are a bit more stable.

An actual good Farley score!!??!! Can't wait to hear it.

9 - Deborah Lurie

Reasonably good score, if a tad generic, and Elfman's main theme isn't exactly memorable. Some decent action music in a few cues, esp. 'The Seamstress'.
    Looking forward to seeing this film next week.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Scarecrows - Terry Plumeri

This is stunning, I love it, easily one of the best scores of its type I've heard. Just superb - and the very first thing I've ever heard from this composer.
  1. The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition (Johnny Williams)

More asskicking than recent scores, though not as much as I'd like to remember. The so-called wonderful themes are repetitive if you've heard them 100 times already, and the action music is really mediocre if you compare it to the standard that Zimmer and co have let loose upon this world. And my big complaint about this double-disc presentation: there's too much Star Wars music. Too much of a good thing can totally ruin it, as it does for me. You know, I'm really thinking whether I should sell this or not... I'm getting really bored with it. Maybe I'll just give it away for free. Any takers?

The above was all a big fat lie, of course.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Listened :

Baaría - Ennio Morricone
    My favourite of 2009 so far. Fantastic.

Lo chiamavano Trinita - Franco Micalizzi
    A fun Italian western score from the 70's. The main title song is really addictive.

Barfuss - Various
    One of those soundtracks where I am actually glad they included the songs in addition to the score tracks. Short, but very melodic score tracks and great songs from a wonderful little movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

It doesn't half go on a bit.

You make it sound like a bad thing?

Depends on your point of view, I guess. Fine for a train journey, but it would have to be a bit more interesting than it is (at least, have a bit more variety) to warrant me spending 80 minutes of time at home listening to it.

Tough crowd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So do I! (Hope you're not disappointed after I've built it up.)

This was my 5,000th post!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Why not? I said i LOVE Mancini!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

9 - Deborah Lurie

Reasonably good score, if a tad generic, and Elfman's main theme isn't exactly memorable. Some decent action music in a few cues, esp. 'The Seamstress'.
    Looking forward to seeing this film next week.

Good sound, good orchestrations, interesting motifs here and there, an enjoyable but immensely forgettable experience once you've hit the stop button.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I liked 9 a lot. Generic yeah but still very enjoyable and good action material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CLINTON SHORTER - District 9

It's been ages since i've last heard a synth-enhanced scored and i liked it so much. It's on my frequent play-list and i find it a very soothing, emotional and esoteric listen with middle-eastern flavors, albeit unoriginal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/09/26/i … thamlisch/

That was my opinion D
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Nice review. I'm going to wait for this until I've seen the film, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm hoping to complete my Jeremiah Johnson review today. I'm still listening and taking in all of the nuances of what it has to offer.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    I'm hoping to complete my Jeremiah Johnson review today. I'm still listening and taking in all of the nuances of what it has to offer.
    Thomas

Have you seen the film Tom? Very gritty film, kind of 'Dances With Wolves'ish and very uncompromising. I liked it a lot.
  2. NP: House of Cards - James Horner

First Listen
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    A cup of hot, scented coffee, twilight filling the windows and candles glowing around the room... a nice book in hand and the world seems to be on track again. Music to complete the perfect moment...

NP: Chocolat ~ Rachel Portman
    Ashes To The Wind is my personal favourite.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Antineutrino wrote
    NP: House of Cards - James Horner

First Listen

SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN. You live further away from Intrada than I do and I bet it will be another month before I receive this. What's wrong with this f----- country?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009 edited
    Southall wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

First Listen

SWEET LORD IN HEAVEN. You live further away from Intrada than I do and I bet it will be another month before I receive this. What's wrong with this f----- country?

Where did you order? I ordered my copy not even from Intrada. confused
    My dealer receives it from Intrada and then ships it to me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Antineutrino wrote

First Listen

I always seem to get my CD's way before you do too!? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SHIPPING NEWS - Christopher Young

Lovely, gentle score full of melody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Great Raid - Trevor Rabin

Powerful orchestral material and some great emotional music. Great stuff!