• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

If God were to exist, he'd find a flaw. (You know, apart from disease, war, crime, birth deformities, pedophilia and all the rest of it.)

And then that non-existent God might say: "Oh, so you'd rather be a moralistic robot among robots with no ability to make your own mistakes, learn from them, protected from the possibility that you might stuff it all up. Sorry, you guys talk about freedom and choice so much I thought I'd leave a few things in your capable hands." wink

Yeah, you could be right! The same non-existent God might then have a crisis of confidence and ask Herself why She lets so many atrocities such as child rape and murder happen just so that those very same animals can learn their own morals for a seemingly pointless end game relative to the evil so malevolently carried out? She might even ask Herself why She is so worthy of worship if either She is unable to prevent such evil, or perhaps doesn't care? She might even go as far to respect those who see that such a being as Herself is not a particularly worthy being to put any kind of faith in and favour the non-believers for using logic, reason and the intelligence that She herself bestowed upon them? You never know!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    It seemed rather Morricone quirky to me. (Indeed, there is one theme that is such a Morricone tribute, it made me laugh to hear it.) With a hint of that quirky feel Mark Mothersbaugh did for other Wes Anderson films.

Oh-oh........you said the forbidden name for me. As much as i've tried, i've never been able to listen to Mark Mothersbaugh's music....at all. Can't stand it, at least the few stuff that i've tried digesting.

Me too I'm afraid. Does nothing for me at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote

If God were to exist, he'd find a flaw. (You know, apart from disease, war, crime, birth deformities, pedophilia and all the rest of it.)

And then that non-existent God might say: "Oh, so you'd rather be a moralistic robot among robots with no ability to make your own mistakes, learn from them, protected from the possibility that you might stuff it all up. Sorry, you guys talk about freedom and choice so much I thought I'd leave a few things in your capable hands." wink

Yeah, you could be right! The same non-existent God might then have a crisis of confidence and ask Herself why She lets so many atrocities such as child rape and murder happen just so that those very same animals can learn their own morals for a seemingly pointless end game relative to the evil so malevolently carried out? She might even ask Herself why She is so worthy of worship if either She is unable to prevent such evil, or perhaps doesn't care? She might even go as far to respect those who see that such a being as Herself is not a particularly worthy being to put any kind of faith in and favour the non-believers for using logic, reason and the intelligence that She herself bestowed upon them? You never know!

Ah, they always go to child rape. Like homing pigeons! shocked Or a high school debating team out for blood. wink

NP: The Life Aquatic (Mothersbaugh)

Because I'm not D.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BODY HEAT - John Barry

Man but what a theme!!! cool Brilliant score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2009/10/22/j … ubinstein/

My review of Jeremiah Johnson.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    NP:Golden Compass (Desplat)

Sublime.

(but give me another composer for fantasy scores, though)

'Sublime' doesn't go with your next sentence.

Yes, it goes. The real question is if you can understand it. I will put easier for you:

The Dark Knight (movie) is excelent, but give me Spiderman 2 (movie) any day.

NP:Hellboy II (Elfman)

punk punk punk punk for the golden army theme.

I really enjooooooooooooooooooooy this Elfman as much as I enjoyed Wanted.

Elfman redimed himself with this two scores.
  2. Rent-A-Cop (Jerry Goldsmith)

Such a quirky and fun little score from The Magic Man. The theme is another to put inside the 'Goldsmith Hall of Themes'. And I adore 80s Gremlins 2 style action music. I wasn't even familiar with the music nor the film, luckily somebody made me notice this. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. NP: The Fantastic Mr Fox (Desplat)

Not sure I'm seeing the problem... the whistling theme is darn catchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: THE FIVE MAN ARMY.... Morricone I'm debating about doing a review on this one or not. The theme is great but there isn't a lot else. Perhaps I'm missing it and I'll continue to listen.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    sdtom wrote
    NP: THE FIVE MAN ARMY.... Morricone I'm debating about doing a review on this one or not. The theme is great but there isn't a lot else. Perhaps I'm missing it and I'll continue to listen.
    Thomas

Let's do it Tom! I would like to read your opinion about it, so keep listening!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I read the comments that our resident Morricone expert had to say (Peter) and I'll do just that. The theme is so addicting!!!!
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That theme is darned addictive! I'm not overly keen on the rest of the score though there are still good moments.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PAINTED VEIL - Alexandre Desplat

Very good background listening for right now.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SNEAKERS - James Horner

Exelent score with a few trademarks that would become more popularised later through scores like A Beautiful Mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Alex D

I'm in a slightly more jovial mood this evening so am enjoying this much more. Though if I had just downloaded the Morricone bits, I think I'd have all I really need.
  4. Southall wrote
    Fantastic Mr Fox - Alex D

I'm in a slightly more jovial mood this evening so am enjoying this much more. Though if I had just downloaded the Morricone bits, I think I'd have all I really need.

Agreed. That and the Majorette are the best parts. I love the way both composers (Morricone and Desplat) use syncopation to make things so darn catchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Twilight - Carter Burwell

I'm eagerly anticipating Desplat's take on this franchise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Surely one of the loveliest scores ever composed.
  5. It anticipated the greatness of THE CIDER HOUSE RULES beautifully. Jerry must have been inspired by the thought of Rachel Portman's work-to-be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    That theme is darned addictive! I'm not overly keen on the rest of the score though there are still good moments.

I have to agree it is in a template that I've heard before.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jurassic Park John Williams

Because I'm showing off to people who are drunk.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Jurassic Park John Williams

Because I'm showing off to people who are drunk.

Yeap! Raptor impersonations get em every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Prisioner of Azkaban (Williams)

I love it, I love it, I love itttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Bring Williams back to the franchise!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009 edited
    JAMES HORNER - house of cards

A classic case of "don't judge the book by its cover". Surprisingly emotional, lyrical at places, melancholic and beautiful, this soothing listening experience is a must for Horner followers and lovers of good thematic music as well.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: GHOSTS OF GIRLFRIENDS PAST... Rolfe Kent

My first listen and the answer is maybe. It didn't make me stop what I was doing but it has caught my attention a little bit.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LE MANS - Michel Legrand

Excellent, snappy, cool jazz score....love it! The only downside is a couple of tracks have 'motor racing car sounds' slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Cool jazz? shocked

Welllllll! lick
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A very enjoyable score Martijn, grabbed my attention for sure. I've said before that I think Legrand, and Lalo Schifrin, are the only two film composers who truly excel in jazz scoring in film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE BIG COUNTRY - Jerome Moross

A true classic in every sense and one of the greatest film scores of all time, easily in my own personal top 10 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    A very enjoyable score Martijn, grabbed my attention for sure. I've said before that I think Legrand, and Lalo Schifrin, are the only two film composers who truly excel in jazz scoring in film.

Are you only talking about living ones? There are some dead ones I'd add to the list.