• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. 1962 is a really difficult year - and all of these titles mentioned above are very worthy scores for a choice. I'll have my selection up by the end of the day.

One thing that has been delaying my selection for this year has been listening to the new recording of Tiomkin's The Alamo and seeing if it would replace my own selection. It's a very accomplished recording but I have difficulty warming to his style sometimes. So my previous 1960 selection is "safe"!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. 1962 - How The West Was Won - Alfred Newman

A score that is almost as wide in scope as the Cinerama format it was originally presented in! As heard in the 2-CD Rhino version it comes in more as a musical as an orchestral film score with all the (period) songs used. A great main title theme starts things off and, for me, sits up there as one of the greatest themes around never mind a great western theme.

I do have to be in the right mood to listen to this one - and I rarely have time to listen to it from start to finish - but the breadth of feeling this score kindles is immensely satisfying.

Looking at all the other scores around this year it's another very difficult choice: Birdman of Alcatraz (Bernstein), Cape Fear (Herrmann), Freud (Goldsmith), Sodom and Gomorrah (Rozsa), To Kill A Mockingbird (Bernstein) & Two For The Seesaw (Previn) from "Hollywood" as well as foreign scores such as King Kong vs Godzilla (Ifukube) and Sato's Sanjuro are also worth a mention.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010
    Hmmm....OK.

I've had the 2CD set for many years, and there's no doubt that the instrumental Western music is engaging (especially the overture). However, I've always found a great number of the songs GRATING and now that I've also become more and more alienated from that type of rambunctious late-Golden Age music, I've put the CD up on my sales list.

But to each their own!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I too find the songs grating but the score is very good.

Still, I wouldn't have chosen this personally.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    For me, another contender for 1962 would be Andre Previn's fantastic score to The 4 Horseman of The Apocalypse.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    To Kill A Mockingbird is my choice
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    To Kill A Mockingbird is my choice

It's a lovely score too. At a push this may well have been my choice too Tom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2010 edited
    Absolutely.
    That's why my absolute favourite is Walk On The Wild Side (followed closely by Newman's absolutely epic How The West Was Won by the way).

I am really curious what Alan's choice will be. It's really starting to heat up now as more people are starting to take an interest and voicing their opinion!

EDIT: I didn't notice there was a new page, hence my post was mostly in respinse to Tom's last post on the previous page.
    Pleasantly surprised to see Newman's absolutely phenomenal and ultimately listenable and enjoyably rousing and moving score to How The West Was Won as Alan's favourite.
    I've dearly loved and appreciated this score for MANY years: it's one that works on many levels (the visceral not being the least of them). The Entr'acte with Ken whatisname's choral work is just to die for. Sheer, bloody genius.
    Love this score. LOVE it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2010
    Walk on the Wild Side is a nice score but it is still pretty generic jazz that was performed at the time. I do give some emphasis toward being original and To Kill A Mockingbird still gets my nod.
    Thomas
  3. 1963 - Cleopatra - Alex North

I know I'm going to come in for a lot of stick on this selection; particularly as there's Elmer Bernstein's The Great Escape in this year as well. It's a great theme, but it's repeated so often in the score and it's been tainted by the main theme's use by some brass-playing England football supporters.

I've been listening to both Bernstein's score and North's - and the latter score just seems more "meaty". North composed a couple of highlights themes (Caesar/Cleopatra & Antony/Cleopatra), both romantic (in their own ways) but both tinged with sadness.

It's a brooding score in many parts littered with pockets of (relatively) lighter music (love themes). A lot of people will be turned off by the more modern-styled North-isms heard in tracks such as "Moon Gate" and a lot of the battle sequences.

A definite powerhouse of a score worthy of some attention.

Other notable titles from this year include John Barry's From Russia With Love with that wonderful title song and Ronald Stein's brilliantly over-the-top theme for The Haunted Palace. There's Mancini's theme for The Pink Panther and Herrmann's score for Jason and The Argonauts.

And definitely worth a mention is the appearance of Ron Grainer's wonderful theme to Doctor Who (a theme that's been horribly mutilated in the latest incarnation of the BBC series airing at the moment.)
  4. Things are worse than I thought! No comment at all. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010
    We're just stunned into silence. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    We're just stunned into silence. wink

Haud yer wheesht!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm very surprised you didn't choose THE BIRDS? shocked ( This variation on a joke is so old I'll get my coat )

Mancini's Charade was also this year and my own choice would have been Jerry Goldsmith's THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER ( though, of course, this has never been released ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I could never get into North's Cleopatra. Like so many other North scores it's just too harsh and -like you said- brooding for me. To me it's quite unapproachable and rather intellectual music, which simply doesn't connect with me (at least not on an emotional level).

But as said, it's an issue I have with nearly all North scores, so it's very much a matter of personal preference (obviously smile ).

My pick, for the record, would without a doubt have been From Russia With Love. To my mind still the best Bond score Barry's done overall (although I prefer the actual main themes to Goldfinger and On her Majesty's Secret Service). But with gems like The Golden Horn, 007, the rousing Opening Titles and the magnificently names James Bond With Bongos, this score just offers me one delight after another.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    All I can say is this is a personal list. I like the Cardinal, Lillies of the Field, From Russia With Love.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    beer <--to Martijn for what his choice would have been.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    no argument from me either
  6. The song for From Russia With Love is one of my favourite Bond songs and tracks like "007" are pure Barry Bond (on steroids?) but, for me, John Barry doesn't quite nail things with this score: but it's not long before he gets it right. wink
  7. sdtom wrote
    All I can say is this is a personal list. I like the Cardinal, Lillies of the Field, From Russia With Love.
    Thomas

It's a favourite saying of yours for the vast majority of my selections! I'm hoping that it's still interesting for you though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

It's a favourite saying of yours for the vast majority of my selections! I'm hoping that it's still interesting for you though.

It is most interesting Alan. Please don't misunderstand. I keep reminding myself that this is your list and there will be differences in what you think from Tim, Martijn, and myself.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2010 edited
    sdtom wrote
    there will be differences in what you think from Tim, Martijn, and myself.

Of course with the added proviso that whatever anyone thinks differently from myself is just plain wrong.
    But that goes without saying.
    Even though I just said it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sorry ali baba
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no idea which score I would pick for 1963, but definitely NOT CLEOPATRA. Too harsh for me. And obviously not John Barry.

Maybe Nino Rota's IL GATTOPARDO? Mancini's PINK PANTHER? Something like that (again it's the problem of knowing the release dates of films, which is NOT something I'm good at).
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    Maybe Nino Rota's IL GATTOPARDO? Mancini's PINK PANTHER? Something like that (again it's the problem of knowing the release dates of films, which is NOT something I'm good at).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:1963_films
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    ^
    I use the same to confirm / re-affirm film dates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    ^
    I use the same to confirm / re-affirm film dates.

So do I, but it's just a small fragment of the films produced that year, and mostly mainstream films. There's bound to be a French New Wave film or an Italian neorealist film etc. with brilliant scores that I keep missing.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    There's bound to be a French New Wave film or an Italian neorealist film etc. with brilliant scores that I keep missing.

That's always the worry I have as well when I come to do this sort of list. Maybe when I revisit this again in another 5-6 years FSM/Intrada will have released so many "mainstream" scores they'll be doing things like a French New Wave boxed set - with a limited run of half-a-dozen? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think most New Wave films have been scored by Delerue, so no particular concern on limited releases there (I think they actually *have* been released in six or seven different compilation forms already wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    I think most New Wave films have been scored by Delerue, so no particular concern on limited releases there (I think they actually *have* been released in six or seven different compilation forms already wink )

Yes, some, but far from all.

Some of the New Wave scores, especially the Godard ones, were often chopped up and moved around, so I think they could get new life as a coherent listening experience. Antoine Duhamel's score for PIERROT LE FOU, for example (an often-referenced example of mine), which has this lovely little scherzo that Godard simply turns on and off during one particular sequence.
    I am extremely serious.