• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I miss it, that doesn't mean I'm not glad.

Exactly! Nothing wrong with a little reminiscing of the good ole days!

-Erik-

True. I guess I'm just a little more optimistic about the present and the future because I'm a better person. That's really my point here.

You might be a better person but I really can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I usually a VERY optimistic person but when it comes to the future of film music I have an open mind but I'm extremely pessimistic!

-Erik-

That's because film music today IS pretty crap, barring a handful of superb composers. Hard to be anything but pessimistic. (IMHO, of course.)

I fail to see anything wrong with reminiscing about happier times. The grass is always greener and so on, I know that, but there's nothing anyone can tell me that would convince me that (new) film music is as enjoyable to James E Southall in 2010 as it was 10-15 years earlier. In 1998 (chosen at random) I got five new scores from Jerry Goldsmith, three from James Horner, two from John Williams, two from Elmer Bernstein, two from Thomas Newman, six from Ennio Morricone, two from Danny Elfman - so that's a new score I would really, really, really look forward to every two weeks! Fuck me, those were the days. For me. I know it varies for others.

I'm crying for you sister, so hard on your luck...
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2010
    Now Playing: Married to it.

A pleasant surprise that stands out from Mancini's other comedy scores. I'll also be watching the film soon, which will probably enhance the experience further.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Actually I'm rather disappointed to find out now that "The Circle Game" is not a Mancini composition. Still, his arrangement of it throughout the score are very good, as is the rest of the score, but it's still a bit of a sad shocker.

Now put in Straw Dogs by Fielding.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Which was that?

This

That is amazing! And which's one the Jacob's theme everyone wanted from season 5? Link please? I know all the themes by heart, but didn't have the time to sit down and learn which one corresponds to which name.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jacob's Theme

Or everything here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks!

n.p. THOMAS NEWMAN - the good German

I didn't get it at all when it came out but after years and also watching the film twice, this score really is one of the last properly symphonic "old-fashioned" and thematic scores we got from any composer. It echoes the old cinema and all its graces, in every note, even the sound recording and engineering itself. Stunning, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I've said it before: I really hate Thomas Newman.

But The Good German is something I can really, really get into. Great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    HeeroJF wrote

But The Good German is something I can really, really get into. Great score.

thomas newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote

That deserves to be on someone's forum signature; it's such a bad, biased and illogical statement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Jacob's Theme

Or everything here.

So that's Jacob's theme eh? Pretty similar to the light theme. But why do i remember it in the season 5 cd , towards the end? Weren't people complaining that it was left out from the release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote

uhm

As I said quite recently, Newman is one the greatest composers to have worked in Hollywood. His albums may not always make for the most easy of listens, nor do they always retain interest in the listener... but his ability to score any scene effectively is nigh on unmatched. And then there's his themes. Not to wax too lyrical here, but he's created some of the most beautiful themes in cinema history!

Shame you "hate" him. Seems a mighty strong negative reaction to a fine composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN is an integral part of modern film music, everyway you look at it. It's one of those names that partly defined film music as we know it today. The statement is pretty illogical, at least to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jacob's Theme

Or everything here.

So that's Jacob's theme eh?

You didn't know Jacob's theme?? Blimey, it was played enough during season 6! dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Let me rephrase my statement:

Thomas Newman is FANTASTIC.

I just really don't enjoy his music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jacob's Theme

Or everything here.

So that's Jacob's theme eh?

You didn't know Jacob's theme?? Blimey, it was played enough during season 6! dizzy

I know all Lost melodies in my ears, most of them i sing along as they play. But i don't recall which one's used where, at least not for everyone and particularly in the last 2-3 seasons where things weren't completely....normal smile I am the opposite to Anthony you can say smile But anyway, my question is why are people barking about the lack of the theme from cd season 5? Isn't that on that cd, during the final tracks? At least this is what i remember but i might be mistaken.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    Let me rephrase my statement:

Thomas Newman is FANTASTIC.

I just really don't enjoy his music.

Phew. I can call off the angry mob carrying pitch forks and fire sticks.

Good save. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Let me take this one step further:

I think Randy Edelman is a TERRIBLE composer.

But I shamefully find myself enjoying some of his music immensely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're looking to get mocked and / or attacked? Good, Gilles won't be alone now wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Too many tracks. too few themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Obviously you haven't heard the GOOD GERMAN.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Obviously you haven't heard the GOOD GERMAN.

Nope. But I like to say Newman is Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    . . wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - braveheart

Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous.
    Christodoulides wrote

Gorgeous.

One of the first scores I bought. The love theme is a perfect track to make love with a girl. . But the theme really has growed on me is the "patriotic" one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap. That score is filled with gorgeous themes, whatever you choose is wonderful really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    . . wink

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Christodoulides wrote
    You're looking to get mocked and / or attacked? Good, Gilles won't be alone now wink tongue

Heh, well I never mind a good bit of criticism. I wouldn't be a Horner fan otherwise. But I'm just stating that being a highly intellectual and profound composer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be producing listenable stuff (like T.Newman and Shore's non-LotR stuff), and yet sometimes a very light and uncomplex composer like Edelman can be endlessly fun (like Dragonheart, Anaconda, Daylight...)

NP: Ice Age 3

Buck's Theme is, I believe, Powell's most complex and longest-lined theme to date. After listening to this, CANNOT get it out of my head for days. That and also the criminally-underused "Buck's Return" theme heard in the track of the same name and the end credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP: A Dark Knight (Hans Zimmer)

Oh God, it's one of my most played tracks ever. and my favourite Zimmer adagio.

What this track offers:

Batman's "adaggio"
    Batman's new theme
    Batman's Adaggio reprise
    Batman's new theme reprise.
    joker's theme dramatic rendition
    Batman Begins heroic theme statement
    Batman 2 notes motif with heavy electronics, percusion and brass ( it makes me hot)

punk punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Would it be much trouble to provide track times when all these themes and motives appear? As effortlessly as the Ice Age 3 themes have slipped into my mind, the new Batman themes have somehow blind-sided me, both in Batman Begins and Dark Knight. I find myself struggling to pick out any thematic material at all. And yet I'm genuinely interested in picking these scores apart and appreciating them more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HeeroJF wrote

Heh, well I never mind a good bit of criticism. I wouldn't be a Horner fan otherwise. But I'm just stating that being a highly intellectual and profound composer doesn't necessarily mean you'll be producing listenable stuff (like T.Newman and Shore's non-LotR stuff), and yet sometimes a very light and uncomplex composer like Edelman can be endlessly fun (like Dragonheart, Anaconda, Daylight...)

Oh, i so agree, i always approach a new score as unbiased as possibly, at least i try; no matter who wrote it. But while i do agree about most of Shore's post-lotr stuff (although before LOTR he made some very good scores, in recent years he seems a bit dry), still T.Newman's output is almost 99% of the times full of personality.