• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2010
    It's a brilliant score for sure!
  1. NP - Bandolero! - Jerry Goldsmith

There is something about this main theme that I just don't like. It reminds me so much of something but I can't remember what that something is. I can almost imagine a song being sung to this tune by Puff 'n Stuff (anyone know that old British children's show?).
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    NP: Hachiko - A Dog's Story - Jan A.P. Kaczmarek, Road to Perdition - Thomas Newman

Hachiko was another solid piano driven score by one of the best writers of piano in film music, Mr. Kaczmarek. Road to Perdition did absolutely nothing to change my opinion of Mr. Newman.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

A fine score for a warm and lovely evening. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Take a Hard Ride - Jerry Goldsmith

Of all the Goldsmith Westerns I've been listening to lately, this is my favorite. Much more fun than 100 Rifles, which was what I played last.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SIDEWAYS - Rolfe Kent

A fine score for a warm and lovely evening. cool

Love that one.
    NP: The Edge (regular album) - Jerry Goldsmith

It's a good score, but I'm quite happy just with the regular album and not the expanded one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    KevinSmith wrote
    NP: The Edge (regular album) - Jerry Goldsmith

It's a good score, but I'm quite happy just with the regular album and not the expanded one.

This score doesn't really need an expanded version, but since I never bought the original one, I got it anyway largely to support La la's effort. And it was a good deal too at only 15 bucks.
  3. KevinSmith wrote
    Road to Perdition did absolutely nothing to change my opinion of Mr. Newman.

What opinion was that?
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    KevinSmith wrote
    Road to Perdition did absolutely nothing to change my opinion of Mr. Newman.

What opinion was that?

I don't really care for Mr. Newman, most of his 'best' scores have not made any big impact on me. My 'favourite' would probably be Angels in America.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Newman is one of the finest composers ever to have worked in Hollywood. That's as much a fact as the earth is round. (But then I guess if his music's not for you, it's not for you.)
  4. Have you heard Meet Joe Black, Kevin? The Shawshank Redemption? I agree that much of the bulk of his scores don't impact me, either, but the man writes the best finales I've ever heard! His finale to Cinderella Man is stunning also. If you haven't heard the finale tracks for those scores I would suggest a quick YouTube search for them. They are all outstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010
    yeah

And if you have heard them, you're officially insane.
  5. "The Brave Little toaster"
    (David Newman)

One of my personal favorite Newman scores. And so help me, I really, really enjoy Van Dyke Park's songs (wonder why this occassional film scorer didn't score this, too?).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: LEGENDS OF THE FALL - James Horner

Bliss. cool
  6. Oh yes, possibly my favourite James Horner score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thomas Newman is one of the finest composers ever to have worked in Hollywood. That's as much a fact as the earth is round. (But then I guess if his music's not for you, it's not for you.)

Like all the genuine greats, Newman has a unique 'voice', a brilliant composer IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Like all the genuine greats, Newman has a unique 'voice', a brilliant composer IMO.

Yes, in a lot of ways, he's pretty much the anti-John Williams or James Horner in that his music is more reserved and held back (with some exceptions, of course). I think his music is perfect for a quiet stroll or night in.

Picking favorites among his oeuvre is pointless as I've never heard one I didn't like from him, but Road to Perdition is nearest and dearest to me. Revolutionary Road is another one...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

And like all the genuine greats he is also one of the most influential; I expect he will remain so for many years to come.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Battlestar Galactica - Stu Phillips

Just enjoying the dramatic fun of the original Battlestar score.
    Great main theme. A classic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Somewhere in Time - John Barry

Gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Perfect Storm James Horner

Waiting for replies for temporary summer job applications, so in the meantime I'll soak in the sun and listen to one of my favourite scores.

It's a hard life.
    sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote

[blue]Waiting for replies for temporary summer job applications, so in the meantime I'll soak in the sun and listen to one of my favourite scores.

One of the (many) Horner works that I love to listen since minute one until the end without skipping a single second. Another one would be Legends of the Fall. Horner at his best.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Unofficial compilation album of Medal Of Honor series - Michael Giacchino

I love Labyrinth Of The Minotaur! cool

(somewhat it reminds me of Batman meets Mouse Hunt... dizzy )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  8. Steven wrote

Waiting for replies for temporary summer job applications, so in the meantime I'll soak in the sun and listen to one of my favourite scores.

It's a hard life.
    sad

Good luck with the applications...In the meantime, I realize that the more I listen to The Perfect Storm, I realize that to me, it's the perfect score. I watched the movie last week and I wished there was a complete score somewhere because even the unreleased music was perfect...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Steven wrote

It's a hard life.
    sad

I started a new job working in a restaurant on Monday and I already fucking hate it so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Miya wrote
    NP: Unofficial compilation album of Medal Of Honor series - Michael Giacchino

I love Labyrinth Of The Minotaur! cool

(somewhat it reminds me of Batman meets Mouse Hunt... dizzy )

Reminds me of John Barry's 007 theme. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Steven wrote

It's a hard life.
    sad

Good luck with the applications...In the meantime, I realize that the more I listen to The Perfect Storm, I realize that to me, it's the perfect score. I watched the movie last week and I wished there was a complete score somewhere because even the unreleased music was perfect...

The Perfect Storm is a GREAT score... and I'd say that the original album presentation is GREAT as well. I'm not in much of a hurry to hear a complete presentation.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    LSH wrote

I started a new job working in a restaurant on Monday and I already fucking hate it so much.

Ooooh. Restaurant work? No thanks. (I've applied for one myself... I just hope I hear back from the others first. I want an iPhone 4.)

Erik Woods wrote

The Perfect Storm is a GREAT score... and I'd say that the original album presentation is GREAT as well. I'm not in much of a hurry to hear a complete presentation.

Me neither. The album is as perfect a listen as I could hope for - not a single moment I'd want cut out. And at almost 80 minutes, that's the sign of a truly great score.

As much as I LOVE Avatar (perhaps marking a small shift in Horner's style?), it doesn't feel as operatic as his older scores. The only thing lacking from that score is a flow that Horner is so adept at, and that's one of the reasons I love The Perfect Storm so much. It's not a score I could take one track out of and put in a compilation! Blasphemy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    As much as I LOVE Avatar (perhaps marking a small shift in Horner's style?), it doesn't feel as operatic as his older scores. The only thing lacking from that score is a flow that Horner is so adept at, and that's one of the reasons I love The Perfect Storm so much. It's not a score I could take one track out of and put in a compilation! Blasphemy!

Are you sure that the lack of flow is not because of the apparent temp track? Horner isn't just copying and pasting directly from his old scores into the Avatar score, he had to add Adiemus and Hans Zimmer to his repertoire as well.