• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Bland and self-serving. Yes, that more or less sums them up.

Thatcher was certainly a focus of strong feelings in the country. But no matter how strong those feelings are I can't agree with those who are apparently gathering in Glasgow to "celebrate" her death.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2013
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am hoping that comments here will not degenerate to the levels that I see on Twitter and Facebook.

I have little interest in politics but I'm reading of people who will celebrate her death. At that basic level that can't be right? Are people actually lumping her in with the likes of Hitler, Hussein, Ghaddafi, etc?

There is already two threads about her on FSM, fancy a wager on how soon both threads will get locked? wink

Too late. Both are now locked.

Woah, fsm is such a fucked place sad
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hard to imagine that I'll see again in my lifetime a Prime Minister who rises from as humble beginnings as Thatcher. Pity, really, that her successors have destroyed the mechanisms for doing so!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I am hoping that comments here will not degenerate to the levels that I see on Twitter and Facebook.

I have little interest in politics but I'm reading of people who will celebrate her death. At that basic level that can't be right? Are people actually lumping her in with the likes of Hitler, Hussein, Ghaddafi, etc?

There is already two threads about her on FSM, fancy a wager on how soon both threads will get locked? wink

Too late. Both are now locked.

Woah, fsm is such a fucked place sad

The only surprise is that First Breath hasn't created a "Favourite score from a Margaret Thatcher movie" thread. His vote would no doubt go to the score for some obscure film performed exclusively by a domestic animal accidentally rolling over the keys of a synthesiser, but my vote would go to The Iron Lady.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013
    I didn't hate Thatcher but I certainly have no love for her either, I do however agree with Ken Loach regarding her funeral...

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/ken-loach-wa … 17524.html
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2013
    I was invited to this last night ( I'm happily in a habit of not going out to celebrate the death of an old woman ), I'm wondering if the people causing trouble were even born when Thatcher was in power? If not then they should bloody well grow up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-22077072?SThisFB
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    Tommy Pearson & Ben Foster are saying on Twitter that the LSO have announced death of Sir Colin Davis.

http://lso.co.uk/sir-colin-davis-1927-2013

(I had originally written that it was Carl Davis. I apologise for the mistake.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Sir Colin Davis, not Carl Davis.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Sir Colin Davis, not Carl Davis.

Phew. I was worried there for a moment. Not that the death of Colin Davis is something to be relieved about (I'm not familiar with him myself), but I've been a fan of Carl's for years.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Sir Colin Davis was the director of the London Symphony Orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited
    Ooops! shame

Sorry everyone.

I have changed the original (and wrong) post that I made earlier.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    I'm probably the only person on this forum who likes country music - there, I've said it - and I'm very sad to see that George Jones, a real legend, has passed away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2013
    I do like SOME country music, but I wasn't familiar with Jones.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Southall wrote
    I'm probably the only person on this forum who likes country music - there, I've said it - and I'm very sad to see that George Jones, a real legend, has passed away.

You seem to be forgetting about my intimate relationship with LeAnn Rimes.
  5. I just found out Ray Harryhausen, aged almost 93, has died today. I haven't watched any of his stuff yet, but some of members of this forum may be interested in this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I just found out Ray Harryhausen, aged almost 93, has died today. I haven't watched any of his stuff yet, but some of members of this forum may be interested in this.

Sorry to hear that. I've never been a Harryhausen buff like many others in these forums (not really my kind of films, the ones he worked on) -- but I've always appreciated him as a pioneer in special effects. The Stan Winston of his day!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013 edited
    I am! This means a LOT to me sad

I can't say it's entirely unexpected given his age but I am immensely saddened. The man was/is a special effects giant, a true colossus who's influence is near incalculable. I doubt you'll find any modern day sfx wizard who doesn't cite him as an influence and there's more than a few directors too, Tim Burton, Joe Dante and Steven Spielberg all come to mind.

Ray enhanced my childhood and has given me so many hours of enjoyment over the decades, I raise a glass to you Ray, legend and genius beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013
    Thor wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I just found out Ray Harryhausen, aged almost 93, has died today. I haven't watched any of his stuff yet, but some of members of this forum may be interested in this.

Sorry to hear that. I've never been a Harryhausen buff like many others in these forums (not really my kind of films, the ones he worked on) -- but I've always appreciated him as a pioneer in special effects. The Stan Winston of his day!

You could arguably say that there would never have been a Stan Winston without Ray Harryhausen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2013 edited
    What's more, I believe Stan Winston himself has said that, in one of those featurettes on a DVD once, where they showed Harryhausen's work to cite the origin of what they were doing. Winston also contributed to the documentary Ray Harryhausen: The Early Years Collection (2005).
  6. Timmer wrote

I can't say it's entirely unexpected given his age but I am immensely saddened. The man was/is a special effects giant, a true colossus who's influence is near incalculable. I doubt you'll find any modern day sfx wizard who doesn't cite him as an influence and there's more than a few directors too, Tim Burton, Joe Dante and Steven Spielberg all come to mind.

Ray enhanced my childhood and has given me so many hours of enjoyment over the decades, I raise a glass to you Ray, legend and genius beer

I hope you don't mind me using your words Tim but you summed things up so well.

My own childhood seems to have been filled with Ray's brilliant genius. His work may even have had a hand in my love of Bernard Herrmann's music. A double thanks to Ray Harryhausen!!

I know that my children have been exposed too much to modern CGI effects to appreciate the effects work of Ray Harryhausen but it is their loss.

I always have a great affection for films featuring the work of a grand pioneer of films.
  7. Very sad news that. Harryhausen's films have been part of my childhood. I was deeply into Greek and Roman mythology then and Clash of the Titans was one thrilling film experiance! Never saw the remake.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2013
    I too am saddened to hear of Harryhausen's passing.
    He has contributed greatly to entertaining generations of fantasy film fans worldwide.
    An artist of the highest order!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

Very little I could add to this, Tim.

Indeed, aside from the giant that he was in the history of cinema (his role simply cannot be overestimated), I really like your reference to him on a personal level. As you, I hold the dearest, fondest memories of Saturday mornings and afternoons fillled with utter delight in a myriad of fantasy worlds the likes of which, their feel, format and style, has been ultimately defined by him. And so he becomes an integral part of my childhood, and of me.

Thanks Ray.
    Here be monsters.
    Wonderful, marvellous monsters.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    :like:
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013
    Goodnight Ray Manzarek, off to join the lizard king...

CRYSTAL SHIP

sad
  8. RIP
  9. The god of e-piano. His influence was immense.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  10. I had to look up who he was.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2013 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I had to look up who he was.

Here's his MOST FAMOUS INTRO

Here's your coat.

OUT!...>>>
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2013
    Iain Banks.....Iain M. Banks............ is no longer sad