• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012 edited
    Today I have mild fever, sore throat and a bit of headache... so I needed something quiet,
    so I listened to Kikujiro by Joe Hisaishi and now listening to Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman.

Actually I tried to Hans Zimmer's Inception earlier this evening, but it didn't work well in this situation biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012
    Miya wrote
    Today I have mild fever, sore throat and a bit of headache... so I needed something quiet,
    so I listened to Kikujiro by Joe Hisaishi and now listening to Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman.

Actually I tried to Hans Zimmer's Inception earlier this evening, but it didn't work well in this situation biggrin

He, he....I can imagine.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

A brilliant swan song Bond score for Barry to bow out on, a Bond score that's up there with the very best!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

A brilliant swan song Bond score for Barry to bow out on, a Bond score that's up there with the very best!

Couldn't agree more.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: How To Train Your Dragon - John Powell

No words are needed... just watch and listen... That scene right there is one of my most cherished cinema moments of all time!

:goosebumps&tears:

-Erik-

what happened with the sound mixing? wink

JOHN CARTER Michael Giacchino

Mmm...It's big, loud and themathic. It has everything you can imagine on it. But I find it a little bit annoying. I don't know, Maybe I'm not in the right mood.

Again the sound mixing is AWFUL for sure, what happen with these guys!?¿?¿?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TRANSFORMERS (Steve Jablonsky)

Great power anthem score!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: WALKABOUT - JOHN BARRY

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    NP: BLACK GOLD - JAMES HORNER

Haven't quite made my mind up about this one. Needs to sink in a bit more.

Track titles are a delight as usual. One Brother Lives, One Brother Dies is a particular highlight. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    LSH wrote
    NP: BLACK GOLD - JAMES HORNER

Haven't quite made my mind up about this one. Needs to sink in a bit more.

Track titles are a delight as usual. One Brother Lives, One Brother Dies is a particular highlight. biggrin

I really liked the clips I heard, enough to make me buy it soon.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: WALKABOUT - JOHN BARRY

cool

Classic score! I shudder to think how a film like this would be scored nowadays unless it was someone like Thomas Newman.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I've not seen the film, but I agree!?

Love the choir in this one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a very good film, well worth your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

Mmm...It's big, loud and themathic. It has everything you can imagine on it. But I find it a little bit annoying. I don't know, Maybe I'm not in the right mood.

Actually, Wallin's recording and mix is strong on this one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Actually, Wallin's recording and mix is strong on this one.

-Erik-

I don't know...the percussion sounds "too far" and the brass not strong enough to my ears. After that I played "the lorax" that even being a really weak score has a really wonderful mixing.

Did you like John Carter?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Of course you are going to get two different sounding mixes with two different engineers. But Wallin finally let the orchestra breath. The orchestra sounds much more spaced out... it isn't all concentrated to the centre of the sound field the way most Wallin recordings are mixed. It's not the best sounding recording I've heard but it's better then some of the flat, lifeless recordings that we have been getting!

As for the score itself... it's the best of the year so far.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ROCK SOLID THEMES - SELECTED ELECTRONIC MOVIE ANTHEMS (various)

Brilliant fan-made compilation of 80's synth anthems. Funky, melodic, catchy, ethereal stuff -- one of my most-played albums.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Tyler Bates has just entered my Top 20 listened-to composers for the last month! Admittedly, it is only 5 tracks. But even so!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    I haven't heard any score by Tyler Bates. Should I be worried?
  2. Cristian wrote

No, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's much more interesting music to fill your time with! But if you are looking for something to listen to, I'd go with the recent Conan The Barbarian 3D score. Then move on...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cristian wrote

Wish he went back to his roots of the really ingenious and original THE TWELVE-STRING SAMURAI sound. Then I'd pay more attention to his stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Cristian wrote

No, I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's much more interesting music to fill your time with! But if you are looking for something to listen to, I'd go with the recent Conan The Barbarian 3D score. Then move on...

Thanks for the recommendation. It seems I'm not missing anything great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    plindboe wrote
    Fair game (John Powell)

Yep, not liking it. This guy does way too few animation scores.

Peter slant

Not bad as a background listening score, for me anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Wish he went back to his roots of the really ingenious and original THE TWELVE-STRING SAMURAI sound. Then I'd pay more attention to his stuff.

Ahem, that was by Brian Tyler.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Cristian wrote

Be glad you didn't. I think that there are about only 20 minutes of Tyler Bates music that anyone could enjoy, nor be barfing at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Killzone 3 - Joris de Man

Still enjoy this score very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Dammit! Confused them again....

Same applies to him, though. Wish he went back to that sound rather than endless percussive loops.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Cristian wrote

Be glad you didn't. I think that there are about only 20 minutes of Tyler Bates music that anyone could enjoy, nor be barfing at.

I really liked his score to Dawn of the Dead. shame

-Erik-
  3. If you want a melodic score by Bates, listen to The Way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Cristian wrote

I really liked his score to Dawn of the Dead. shame

-Erik-

There were some good parts there. Good movie though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Dammit! Confused them again....

Same applies to him, though. Wish he went back to that sound rather than endless percussive loops.

Columbus Circle sounded like a good orchestral score.