• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote
    I haven't heard any score by Tyler Bates. Should I be worried?

Wish he went back to his roots of the really ingenious and original THE TWELVE-STRING SAMURAI sound. Then I'd pay more attention to his stuff.

Ahem, that was by Brian Tyler.

Wasn't Tyler's a six-string samurai?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Wish he went back to his roots of the really ingenious and original THE TWELVE-STRING SAMURAI sound. Then I'd pay more attention to his stuff.

Dammit! Confused them again....

Same applies to him, though. Wish he went back to that sound rather than endless percussive loops.

Columbus Circle sounded like a good orchestral score.

It certainly does! There was just over 30 minutes available on his site (was it his?) to listen to and that sounded great. The new Varese release takes that solid 30 minutes and adds some more. Very much looking forward to hearing this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    Cristian wrote

Be glad you didn't. I think that there are about only 20 minutes of Tyler Bates music that anyone could enjoy, nor be barfing at.

I really liked his score to Dawn of the Dead. shame

-Erik-

Me too! I also as mentioned by Yonathan on the last page like his score for THE WAY, besides those I also really enjoyed his version of Roy Budd's GET CARTER theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Wasn't Tyler's a six-string samurai?

I wasn't gonna say anything...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Lorax - John Powell

Getting into this so slowly. Might have to watch the movie.
  3. Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cristian wrote

Dammit! Confused them again....

Same applies to him, though. Wish he went back to that sound rather than endless percussive loops.

What better evidence of stylistic anonymity. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Man Who Would Be King - Maurice Jarre

Epic! Action-packed! Full of adventure! Crap sound!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012
    Under the Volcano - Alex North

At his best, this guy was spectacularly good. And this is one of his best - one of the greatest unheralded treasures in my collection.
  4. NP: The Beat My Heart Skipped (Desplat)

One of the strongest minimalist scores yet written. A thoughtful, grave work for strings and piano that provides a good contrast the composer's more playful form-driven English-language scores. I think I've listened to it even more than Birth.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE OMEGA MAN - Ron Grainer

Great score, the likes of which will very unlikely grace any kind of sci-fi film again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PEACEMAKER (Hans Zimmer)

Some cool highlights, but overall a bit too noisy for my taste. The beautiful power anthems get buried!
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Timmer wrote

Great score, the likes of which will very unlikely grace any kind of sci-fi film again.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I never warmed up to that one.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PEACEMAKER (Hans Zimmer)

Some cool highlights, but overall a bit too noisy for my taste. The beautiful power anthems get buried!

IMHO, it's one of my all time favorite Zimmer score. It's noisy, dense and wonderful to listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I can't get past that noisy opening track!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    It's really good when it settles into a groove or when it has those deep, Slavic choruses and stuff. But the onslaught of percussion, cymbal crashes and mad brass intervene a little too often -- without any real direction (the same trap Harry Gregson-Williams often falls into).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

punk

Thirded.

In fact, when was the last time we got a honest feeling groovy+orchestral score? I can't name one in the last ten years, only some faux ones.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ATONEMENT - Dario Marianelli

Wonderful score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    In fact, when was the last time we got a honest feeling groovy+orchestral score? I can't name one in the last ten years, only some faux ones.

Tower Heist... just to name one of many!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

Yes, Christophe Beck is a master of that sound.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Never heard this one before. Listening to the clips now it does sound worth listening to more. A bit of a Taking of Pelham 1-2-3 in the rhythms - which is always a good thing for me. Payback anyone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

Yes, that's a pretty good score.
  8. Two new CDs in my collection, but played only one of them today:

John Williams - Far and Away

Brilliant Irish-tinged adventure score from the master. Land Race is a masterpiece.

The other CD I bought and will check out tomorrow (I know the score from other means) is Goldsmith's Legend. Now listening to the ethereal beauty that is...

Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Two new CDs in my collection, but played only one of them today:

John Williams - Legend

Brilliant Irish-tinged adventure score from the master. Land Race is a masterpiece.

The other CD I bought and will check out tomorrow (I know the score from other means) is Goldsmith's Legend. Now listening to the ethereal beauty that is...

Hans Zimmer - Beyond Rangoon

Funny you should play that latter one, as it's just playing on my stereo right now. Cosmic coincidence!

But I'm curious about the John Williams/LEGEND thing, though? Don't you mean Jerry Goldsmith? Or -- since you mention "The Land Race" -- FAR & AWAY by Williams?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Yes shame
  10. Beyond Rangoon became one of the most personal scores in my collection. I wish Hans returned to the sound, in fact, when I finally get to talk to him again, I will precisely tell him that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The departed (Shore)

Couldn't be further from LOTR, yet it's excellent music, so shows a bit about his versatility. 3 very listenable themes as far as I could identify.

Rating: ****

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Beyond Rangoon became one of the most personal scores in my collection. I wish Hans returned to the sound, in fact, when I finally get to talk to him again, I will precisely tell him that!

Just tell him to do more asian stuff. He seems to succeed spectacularly every time he incorporates asian elements.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Beyond Rangoon became one of the most personal scores in my collection. I wish Hans returned to the sound, in fact, when I finally get to talk to him again, I will precisely tell him that!

Just tell him to do more asian stuff. He seems to succeed spectacularly every time he incorporates asian elements.

Peter smile

Not only Asian. ETHNIC-themed scores. That's where he excels the most, IMO. That and the old power anthems. Although, to be fair, he has impressed me with more textural-based scores in recent years too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2012
    I would be VERY happy NOT to hear a power anthem EVER AGAIN! Zimmer is film musics Simon Cowell....FACT!

Other than that I quite like Zimmer's music, well, some of the time.