• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2011
    Revolver - E Morricone

Fantabulously stylish action score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Stavroula wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I am being honest! Pursuit Of The Falcon is awesome but the high adventure of "Sir Francis And The Unicorn" beats anything Williams penned this year!

-Erik-

You have intrigued me very very much Erik! So much I've gone and bought it! I will be listening to it later today! smile

Don't forget about my radio show. I've had lengthy suites from that album and many, many others up for a month now.

http://www.cinematicsound.net/?p=1441

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: TOTAL RECALL - JERRY GOLDSMITH

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Machine Gun McCain - E Morricone

Nice, laid-back western score.
  1. Southall wrote
    Revolver - E Morricone

Fantabulously stylish action score.

I think I just know the main theme from that one. A beauty.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. PawelStroinski wrote
    Jerry Goldsmith - Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

The original release. I bought it during my trip to Paris, so I am emotionally connected to it. Good score and one of those I own, so I'm keeping with my Goldsmith mood.

He is so missed.

Perhaps one of thee most minor quibbles of all time, but...

There was one cue on that original Epic Records release, I think "Open the Gates" that you could hear the mtronome ticking away at times; one part where the music had a quite lull, I always tapped along with the metronome -- I loved it there. It was disappointing to when LLLR included the original content of Epic on CD 2 of their, but they didn't include "as is" with mastering, they removed the metronome in that cue (and the version on CD 1), too. In fact, some of the "oomph" was gone, too.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2011
    Apt Pupil - John Ottman

A darker, more menacing cousin score to The Usual Suspects.

Prince Valiant - David Bergeaud

An old fashioned medieval score with a noteworthy main theme (even if the brass section is synthesized).

Hook - John Williams

One of his best. Filled with wonderful orchestral fantasy writing and memorable themes.

The Firm - Dave Grusin

All piano score with some funky blues.

The Snow Files - Mark Snow

A good compilation of the various lesser known scores from Snow`s career (and a suite from the X-Files).
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The amati girls (Conrad Pope)

It could be argued that it's repetitive, but with such lovely themes and not a single bad track, it's a wonderful album.

Rating: ****
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Southall wrote

The main theme song does indeed sound westerny, but it's actually a crime/thriller movie. Nice easy-listening music throughout. Not a score I've truly fallen for, but it does have some rather good material.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    DreamTheater wrote
    SMILLA'S SENSE OF SNOW - HARRY GREGSON-WILLIAMS & HANS ZIMMER

I got this way back, remember not being overly impressed, but as the years have passed everytime I return to it there's a special ambience that is created that I like. Very low key, yet it always keeps my attention the whole way through.

The first CD I ever bought by Gregson-Williams. Never really liked it. Second track is ok, rest is booooring. Perhaps I should give it away some day in the "Giveaway" thread. Though I'd feel guilty for aflicting others with this album.

Peter slant
  3. The boot of scores from the Batman/Superman Adventures lines up.

"In Brightest Day" (Superman: The Animated Series; Michael McCuistion)

Excelent, excellent Tv scoring for an apparece of a new Green Lantern. Blows J.N.H.'s movie score, and Christopher Drake's score the new "Green Lanter: The Animated Series" that recently aired it's second episode, out of the water. Terrific theme for the GL.

"Judgement Day" (Batman; Michael McCuistion)

A nice dark score, though the dark synth vocals (which I've heard on other TV work before -- the exact same ones, in fact) detracted a little from the enjoyment.

"Fish Story" (Superman; Lolita Ritmanis)

Aquaman makes an appearence. Yeah, I don't care either, but a good fun score by Ritmanis.

I love that Bruce Timm stuck with some of Shirley Walker's "Batman: The Animated Series" for just about every incarnation of Batman and Superman, and some other superheros, since then, even until today, though I've not liked some of his recent choices (sorry Christopher Drake, Ron Fish, Frederik Wiedmann).

I also didn't care for the move away from orchestra players to scores almsot entirely, or completely synth built (like in "Justice League").

I would have loved for all, but especially three or four, of the B:TAS composers to have been carried around to various projects. I don't mean to be harsh, but I wish the Dynamic Music Partners of Walker's core team, McCuistion, Ritmanis, & Carter, had done what Shirley did for them which gave them the constant stream of work and fanbase, give other composers chances.

Anyway, I hope eventually we get scores from S:TAS, The New Batman Adventures, "Justice League" -- they were television scoring at some of it's finest.

"In Brightest Day"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afV1h-xfZOI
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

The main theme song does indeed sound westerny, but it's actually a crime/thriller movie. Nice easy-listening music throughout. Not a score I've truly fallen for, but it does have some rather good material.

Peter smile

Shows what I know! I thought the whole thing, with the guitars etc, sounded westerny.

Amusingly, while I was alphabetising my Morricone CDs yesterday (as you do!) I had filed Gli Intoccabili under G and then I filed Machine Gun McCain under M and then I thought "hang on a minute!" and realised they were the same thing. I bought the same score twice and hadn't even realised - clearly I must have never even listened to one of the versions before!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Musica Per Film - Morricone

I can't get out of a Morricone mood at the moment. This outstanding compilation for piano, violin, viola and flute is a fantastic album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Musica Per Film - Morricone

I can't get out of a Morricone mood at the moment. This outstanding compilation for piano, violin, viola and flute is a fantastic album.

The solo piano version of "Investigation of a Citizen..." is a joy to behold!
  4. NP: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Desplat)

He didn't really need to knock it out of the park again this year, but a few tracks on the WB site, I'm inclined to think he might have done it once more. smile
  5. Southall wrote
    plindboe wrote
    Southall wrote

Peter smile

Shows what I know! I thought the whole thing, with the guitars etc, sounded westerny.

Amusingly, while I was alphabetising my Morricone CDs yesterday (as you do!) I had filed Gli Intoccabili under G and then I filed Machine Gun McCain under M and then I thought "hang on a minute!" and realised they were the same thing. I bought the same score twice and hadn't even realised - clearly I must have never even listened to one of the versions before!

"Gli" means "The" (plural) so "Gli Intoccabili" should be filed under I. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Desplat)

He didn't really need to knock it out of the park again this year, but a few tracks on the WB site, I'm inclined to think he might have done it once more. smile

Which score did he knock out of the park this year? I genuinely don't know as I haven't heard any Desplat scores this year.
  6. James Horner - Legends of the Fall

My favourite James Horner score. Yes, the Dances with Wolves were probably a heavy temp-track influence, but beautiful themes, great orchestrations and pure Horner action powerhouse that is Samuel's Death.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary Symphony Koji Kondo

One of the best film or game music albums of 2011!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Darkest Hour - Tyler Bates

This is possibly the worst thing he's ever done. That in itself is quite an achievement.
  7. So, a -* rating?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It has an appropriate name at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gremlins Jerry Goldsmith

I've always loved the second score, but upon hearing this score properly for the first time (thanks to Intrada), this has since become my favourite of the two. Crazy, whacky, zany, charming, magical. A brilliant brilliant score.

The 80s is by far my favourite decade for Goldsmith scores. love
  8. Yes, that Bates' score is truly atrocious.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES (Bruce Broughton)

The 2CD recording sessions bootleg. I would probably have bought the ltd. release if I'd had the money at the time. It's a bit too long and has no structure whatsoever (obviously), but the music itself is great -- fan favourite fodder with traditional, romantic, orchestral music en masse.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'd love a proper release of that!
  9. Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Desplat)

Which score did he knock out of the park this year? I genuinely don't know as I haven't heard any Desplat scores this year.

Not the HARRY POTTER park, alas. For me, TREE OF LIFE, A BETTER LIFE and in particular, LE FILLE DU PUISATIER, were the best music. The themes from BETTER LIFE and IDES OF MARCH were highlights in particular. I haven't heard CARNAGE, and while I like parts of LARGO WINCH 2, it's not as strong as I'd hoped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Il Principe Del Deserto - E Morricone

Probably a bit too long (some of the suspense music in particular could be ditched) but there are some wonderful moments in this, particularly the ravishing main theme.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011
    I've had a day of composers with the first name starting with the letter D:

Hoffa - David Newman
    The Goonies - Dave Grusin
    Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - David Hirschfelder
    Charlotte's Web - Danny Elfman

Pretty good listening.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.