• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2014
    Well, I adore fantasy myself, so I'm a proud geekboy in that regard. Not waiting-in-line-outside-the-theatre-in-costume-type geekboy, but a fan in my own sort of way.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2014
    It's a mystery to me that we've never had a

WILLIAM SHATNER

thread.

The above clip is pre-Star Trek, from an episode of THE MAN FROM UNCLE. Check it out wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I just saw Hobbit II. Same as Hobbit I I loved every minute. Fun films, great scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I find those films pretty entertaining as fantasy adventures go. There's a rumor they may in fact be based on the works of J.R.R. Tolkien but I don't think it shows too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Aside from the fact that I loathe these films with everything that I am or ever will be and would rather drive a nail through my hand than watch them again, even objectively I thought the special effects were awful. Clearly a lot of work went into them, but it all looked like a video game, with some very bad looking scenes - especially the laughably bad barrel scene (which seemed to make a few awkward cuts to what looked like a GoPro camera). Not to mention the jarring juxtaposition between real location shots and shitty looking green screen scenes.
  3. I don't think the effects looked awfull. (Watched the film on DVD with a simple flat TV.) Yes they look like a video game but that's because video games look like movies these days.

@Edmund:

Yes, I heard that rumor too. But seriously: What really amazed me yesterday is that all those story extensions really do work (IMO). I would never have thought that possible. The story breathes the spirit of Tolkien every minute of its duration.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    The fact I saw the second movie in 3D high frame rate certainly didn't help. Even the real stuff looked fake.

And I'm sorry but this statement does not justify anything.

Captain Future wrote
    they look like a video game but that's because video games look like movies these days.

The question is why do movies look like video games?
  4. Yeah, the effects work is surprisingly and disappointingly shoddy in places. The original Rings trilogy relied a lot more on sets and locations, costumes and prosthetics, and it really shows. So much of what's in the Hobbit movies is pretty clearly not actually, physically there.
  5. Maybe. I didn't notice. I was busy with being absorbed by the film.

Besides: I saw a 70s sifi flick one of these days. You know, you really see those were plastic model star ships.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    I don't think the effects looked awfull. (Watched the film on DVD with a simple flat TV.) Yes they look like a video game but that's because video games look like movies these days.

biggrin

Nice try wink
  6. I watched this the other day and thought that some of the effects were pretty poor. A bit like the STAR WARS franchise, these "prequel" films are a pale comparison with the excellent original trilogy.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    I watched this the other day and thought that some of the effects were pretty poor. A bit like the STAR WARS franchise, these "prequel" films are a pale comparison with the excellent original trilogy.

I don't think the Hobbit films represent quite as massive a step down in quality/disappointment as the prequels did, but I can definitely see the comparisons, unfortunately...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The quality seems proportional to the time between the originals and the prequels. Had these films been made 16 years after Return of the King, then I'm sure they'd have been as bad the Star Wars prequels. But as it was 9 years between original and prequel, simple logic tells us they are at least 56.25% as bad as the Star Wars prequels. That's still pretty bad. Fact.
  8. If that works for reboots too, that also explains why Amazing Spiderman wasn't really that different in quality for Sam Raimi's Spiderman, and in some ways, an improvement. (Different strengths, different weaknesses.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    Volker, I´m right there with you.

I´ve been watching all the specials from Part 1´s Extended Edition over the course of the last two weeks (the amount of work going into the Hobbit production is mindblowing) and will see the excellent (!) Part 2 again tomorrow night on a couple of friends´ big beamer screen, all in preparation for Hobbit Con this weekend, and all I want to say is:

If you don´t like these movies, just don´t watch them, go away, and read the book again. There, it´s easy.

If you like them: Screw the critics and have fun. What would we´ve given for fantasy movies like this back in the days?
  9. franz_conrad wrote
    If that works for reboots too, that also explains why Amazing Spiderman wasn't really that different in quality for Sam Raimi's Spiderman, and in some ways, an improvement. (Different strengths, different weaknesses.)

Could you expand on that? I am actually going to see Raimi's first sequel today. I loved Webb's film, especially the "teenage angst" elements.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. I thought The Amazing Spider-Man was a vast improvement over Sam Raimi´s trilogy as a whole, if just because Andrew is an incredible Peter Parker, his chemistry with Emma is ... well, great, of course, and Horner´s score is just fantastic.

I´m looking forward to the sequel, but I´m sad to see Horner go, even if I´m rather Zimmer-friendly, as you all know. I´m surprised you all seem to like the score, so it must be really special, which raises my hopes even more. I´ll see...
  11. So you're going to see Spiderman 2 with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst today?

I think that Raimi's does teenage angst well in the first two films. I think Webb does the fun of Spiderman well in the one film I've seen. There's a confidence to Garfield's Parker that's a little easier to 'want to be' as an audience member. And while both films got the love angle right in the first film, Parker and Stone have a lot more chemistry, and the first kiss is a beauty... the film won me over right there. And there's no American flag love, from memory.

(Ok, it's pretty clear I like Webb's film more. But then a fan of 500 Days of Summer probably would.)

I think Raimi's gets points for being first from a lot of people (few believed a Spiderman film could work until that one came), but one day that won't matter and Webb's film won't be marked down as harshly as it was for following in Raimi's footsteps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If you don´t like these movies, just don´t watch them, go away, and read the book again. There, it´s easy.

I've never read the book, and have no desire to. I'd rather read Twilight than Tolkien.
  12. Steven wrote
    I'd rather read Twilight than Tolkien.

shocked

shocked shocked shocked

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
  13. My God, man. I'm still reeling. Jesus. vomit
  14. Stirring the hornet's nest, Steven?

(I don't know, maybe Twilight is actually good. I only ever hear people here talking about it, and only ever in the negative.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    Stirring the hornet's nest, Steven?

(I don't know, maybe Twilight is actually good. I only ever hear people here talking about it, and only ever in the negative.)

Same here. Though the people talking negatively about it is older folks (like us). Teens are more positive.

Never read a sentence of the books or seen a minute of the films.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. I've seen a large stretch of New Moon on a plane, which despite my appreciation of Desplat's music (as music), is dramatically inert. Proof for me that Chris Weitz has his limitations as a director. (If Golden Compass wasn't proof enough.)

The first Hunger Games, on the other hand... now that guy can direct a film. More interesting challenge for the protagonist as well compared to the relatively passive Bella. (But I get that girls need a heroine who showcases a life rather like the one they'll lead: wondering if they've chosen the right person to live with.)

I tried reading one of the HG books. Didn't come to life for me on the page, despite the interesting use of restricted POV. A bit teen-oriented. (And again, good on them, every audience needs something for them.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I read the Hunger Games books over a few days a couple of years ago when I needed some escapist entertainment. I'm not the target audience but I thought they were well written for those who are and they served their purpose for me.
  16. I had a go at the first Twilight book, and while it wasn´t for me, I certainly got why teenage girls loved it. Bella´s thoughts and thought-processes sounded quite legit to me. But I only read the first 50 or so pages before I quit.

Tolkien is, of course, very hard to read if you hate, well, books. biggrin

And that´s all I´m gonna say.
  17. franz_conrad wrote
    So you're going to see Spiderman 2 with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst today?

I think that Raimi's does teenage angst well in the first two films. I think Webb does the fun of Spiderman well in the one film I've seen. There's a confidence to Garfield's Parker that's a little easier to 'want to be' as an audience member. And while both films got the love angle right in the first film, Parker and Stone have a lot more chemistry, and the first kiss is a beauty... the film won me over right there. And there's no American flag love, from memory.

(Ok, it's pretty clear I like Webb's film more. But then a fan of 500 Days of Summer probably would.)

I think Raimi's gets points for being first from a lot of people (few believed a Spiderman film could work until that one came), but one day that won't matter and Webb's film won't be marked down as harshly as it was for following in Raimi's footsteps.

500 Days of Summer is one of my all-time favourite comedies!

I think the strength of the Webb movie for me is that it takes a while for the action to really kick in. For a while it does play like that kind of indie teenage drama. Maybe I wouldn't call Marc Webb an auteur just yet, but I can see that he could have noticed interesting bits to the life of Peter Parker.

Raimi's final shot of Spiderman finding a place to land at just ever so conveniently by the flag was just a bit too much indeed. Webb's idea of doing a POV shot of the flight is a great idea. I think generally the Garfield Parker is a bit better, because it really cashes in on Parker's awkwardness a bit better than Maguire, or at least that little bit more radical - Maguire was just a bit of a nerd, Garfield's shyness is almost pathological.

Martin Sheen vs. Cliff Robertson is a tough one, but I like that Uncle Ben got a bit more air time in Webb's film. Though I must say that I found the whole revenge thing a bit unresolved or at best ambiguous. It's as if either the director or writer lost interest in it after a while, though I was shocked to find out that Raimi went somewhat against the canon with that. In Raimi's film I liked the bit that Nolan would use in Batman Begins later - taking the criminal's POV to heighten the suspense and don't really show where Spider-Man is.
  18. And, of course, the chemistry between Stone and Garfield is so good, that they've been a couple since prep smile .
  19. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I had a go at the first Twilight book, and while it wasn´t for me, I certainly got why teenage girls loved it. Bella´s thoughts and thought-processes sounded quite legit to me. But I only read the first 50 or so pages before I quit.

And that´s all I´m gonna say.

About 2/3 of my female teenage students love these books. I have sampled them an I can see why. It makes me glad to see teenagers with their nose in a book. When I was that age I read STAR WARS and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA novels. So I guess Twilight is alright indeed.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I love books! But I hate Tolkien (I tried Lord of the Rings, but gave up before they even left the shire.)