• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    Interstellar

Finally got to see it, thanks to my mate Blue Ray. It's exceptional in many ways, let down a little bit in a couple (the whole Matt Damon thing seemed too predictable and a very Hollywood interlude in a high-gloss film and the final act was probably a bit too 2001) - easily the best blockbuster I've seen in ages. The score is even better in context than I had expected. One of the marks of a truly great film score is that it becomes impossible to imagine the film scored any other way. Ennio Morricone is the only living film composer I think might have done something as special.

Same here.
    This film is brimming with Odyssey: 2001, 2010 and even 3001 should any one here have ever read that novel.
    Sooooo much eye candy!
    I loved Zimmer's score in context. It's bound to become a classic scifi score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015 edited
    A saw Intersellar a few weeks ago. Great viz. Great PRACTICAL effects! Great score. But I found that it was missing a genuine emotional punch. I was told by friends that as father I would be a blubbering mess after this film. I was crying but that was because this bloated epic was THREE HOURS long. And I had to watch Anne Hathaway for a good chunk of it.

I didn't buy the father/daughter relationship. That was rather sloppy actually. McConaughey was a dick to his son. Not a fan of the ending. You think they'd learn their lesson how not to screw up an ending by watching Contact. Actually, I'd rather watch Contact again.

A lot of editing and a stronger script would have helped this film immensely. I probably won't watch it again.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2015
    I've still not seen it but I wish I'd not heard so much Nolan, Zimmer tosh BS talk because I'm going to watch this with a more critical eye than I had wanted. Despite both of their best efforts I do think Zimmer's score was the best of 2014, it ain't the best thing since made up magic sky wizard but I do like it a lot.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    I've still not seen it but I wish I'd not heard so much Nolan, Zimmer tosh BS talk because I'm going to watch this with a more critical eye than I had wanted. Despite both of their best efforts I do think Zimmer's score was the best of 2014, it ain't the best thing since made up magic sky wizard but I do like it a lot.

Agreed.

It's my second favourite film of last year (and pretty fantastic!), but it's not the Second Coming of moviemaking.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I had the opportunity to watch "Bend of the River" which had a fine score by Hans Salter.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  2. I caught some of a rare TV movie called "The Outside Woman" (1989).

I say "some", because the film hasn't been released and I had tow rely on two ten or so minute clips from the film on youtube.

It's seems to be well done, acted, and has a good level of interest. And a ncie little score by Jerrold Immel (unreleased); the credit was missing from his IMDb page, but I submitted it last week and IMDb took it.

According to online source, people are selling illegal copies on VHS, taped off of TV.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015
    RW: 50 Shades Of Grey

As dull as the title inadvertantly suggests. Bored me to fucking tears...
  3. Why'd you even?
  4. Just finally saw The Hobbit BOTFA

I loved every minute not least because of the incredible score.

Volker
  5. Captain Future wrote
    Just finally saw The Hobbit BOTFA

I loved every minute not least because of the incredible score.

Volker

Funnily enough we watched this again tonight: the first time since seeing it in the cinema. Far too much fighting in the last third of the film. Not sure I remember the Dune-inspired "earth eaters" being in the book.

Thinking ahead to the extended edition, surely Jackson can't add any more fight scenes?

And seeing it again confirmed my lukewarm feeling I had for the score when I saw the film originally: I can't think of any memorable musical set-pieces of the same quality as heard in The Lord of The Rings.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015
    I find it to be disastrous film, to be honest, and that goes for the score as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. STAR TREK DS9: What You Leave Behind (1999)

A great conclusion of a very strong show. It just occurred to me that maybe DS9 has been the Star Trek show with the strongest overall cast. It also occurred to me that I could do with another ST TV show.
    Oh, and man, do I love that title theme by Dennis McCarthy!

alien Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    My favourite Star Trek series, that one. I'd like to watch it again.
  7. Southall wrote
    My favourite Star Trek series, that one. I'd like to watch it again.

I remember when this first aired, I bailed out quite early on because it seemed so slow and uninteresting. Did it take a few seasons to get going?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes. Some rubbish in the first couple of seasons (and some good things too!) but it really hit its stride in the third.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015
    I agree with James. DS9 was great, the odd crap but on the whole far better, at least IMO than all the other Star Trek shows.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. The Ghost And The Darkness

Just watched it again in eager anticipation of the new Intrada CD. I know it was widely derided by critics but I've always had a great time watching it, endlessly rewatchable too. And what a score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    The Ghost And The Darkness

Just watched it again in eager anticipation of the new Intrada CD. I know it was widely derided by critics but I've always had a great time watching it, endlessly rewatchable too. And what a score!

It was OK, but the fake-looking CGI lions always put me off.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I don't think there are any CG lions in the film actually. There are quite a few composites of real lions into shots though.
  10. And Stan Winston animatronics. Watching it again I was really impressed with a lot of the behaviour they were able to achieve with the real lions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    What? I remember a bunch of awkwardly animated lions jumping around. Could be a combo of real footage and CGI, of course.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's been a long time since I've seen it ( I've seen the film twice ) and I don't remember seeing any CG Lions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's been a long time since I've seen it too, but that was THE most striking thing that I DO remember.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. I remember the film too. I'm sure it was a badly executed copy and paste job rather than CGI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Could be.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Blade Runner (1982) - Ridley Scott

I did not see this film in some years. I forgot just how good it is.

“I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate."

^ This is a "When I first met your father he was already a great pilot" - moment. It indicates a big back story without really telling much. I would like to know the back story of those four rogue replicants.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015
    Films don't get much better than that.

By the way, came back from press screening of MAD MAX: FURY ROAD earlier today. Great film, although not QUITE as visionary as the fantastic trailers would suggest.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Anyone here old enough to go and see The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema when it was first released in 1980? And how many had the Roger Christian short film, Black Angel, play before the main feature?

I have only very vague recollections of this short fantasy film and I was intrigued to read the other year that thought-lost film had been rediscovered and had played at a couple of film festivals.

Now, Roger Christian has uploaded the film to YouTube - https://youtu.be/5L8pHKP-vv4 - and, having watched it, I recognise very little of it. Being in my mid-teens at the time and being keen to see the newest Star Wars movie I was probably a bit impatient for the "main event" so didn't take much notice of this short film.

But, watching it back now, it's an intriguing thing to see. Anyone else remember it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    Of course I saw Empire in the cinema (we few, we happy few!). But I fear Black Angel must have been a UK thing: it never played in The Netherlands.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  14. Martijn wrote
    Of course I saw Empire in the cinema (we few, we happy few!). But I fear Black Angel must have been a UK thing: it never played in The Netherlands.

Wikipedia mentions only the UK, Australia and Scandinavia as regions for the release: so, a very limited release indeed.