• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone here old enough to go and see The Empire Strikes Back in the cinema when it was first released in 1980? And how many had the Roger Christian short film, Black Angel, play before the main feature?

I have only very vague recollections of this short fantasy film and I was intrigued to read the other year that thought-lost film had been rediscovered and had played at a couple of film festivals.

Now, Roger Christian has uploaded the film to YouTube - https://youtu.be/5L8pHKP-vv4 - and, having watched it, I recognise very little of it. Being in my mid-teens at the time and being keen to see the newest Star Wars movie I was probably a bit impatient for the "main event" so didn't take much notice of this short film.

But, watching it back now, it's an intriguing thing to see. Anyone else remember it?

YES! I remember it and remember it very well. I looked for this on YT years ago to no avail and am glad to be able to see it again now.

I'm also sure I talked with you about this years ago Alan?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I first saw STAR WARS and INDY as letterbox versions on illegal multi generation copies on VHS cassettes. Those tapes went from hand to hand among my buddies. The quality was abysmal. Even so I would not want to miss the experience. I remember a warm summer night, when close friends - people I still know today - came over to my place and we watched the SW trilogy in a row.

Later I owned the British windscreen VHS cassettes of the unaltered trilogy. The first time in cinema were the 1997 special editions. (Which I like and most of you don't.)

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015
    Yes, because most of us would appear to have some sense.

I like the cleaned up images and improved audio, that's all great. That's treating a classic with respect. But the CGI arsewankery and the utterly pointless tinkering he's continued to inflict on those movies is reprehensible. You don't change a painting once you've finished, you let it stand on its own merits for generations to enjoy as it was originally intended.
  2. Appearance can be deceiving. wink

I would not mind owning cleaned up versions of the original unaltered films. (Those versions must have existed at some point in the production process.) Anyhow I am fine with most of the CGI additions, but not with all of them.
  3. Timmer wrote
    I'm also sure I talked with you about this years ago Alan?

We may well have done, but as I hardly remember anything of this film my contribution to the discussion was probably quite limited! I love the look of the Black Angel.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015
    More outings for the Vikings coming up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Kingdom_(TV-series)

The books are an excellent read and I hope the TV series lives up to that, particularly that author Bernard Cornwell bases as much of his fiction in fact as is known possible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2015 edited
    There has never been ONE good film or tv version of vikings so far, so I don't dare to hope. But thanks for the heads-up.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    There has never been ONE good film or tv version of vikings so far, so I don't dare to hope. But thanks for the heads-up.

I really enjoyed the first two seasons of VIKINGS though I could pick lots of holes in it ( I've yet to see season 3 ), great cast and love that guy who plays Ragnar Lothbrock.

I was trying to pinpoint when dafty Hollywood Vikings first appeared? Prince Valiant maybe??

What is it you would want out of Viking screen portrayal?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

If I were to hazard a guess... definitely a non-narrative structure. Vivid visuals. Synth music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    :like:
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

If I were to hazard a guess... definitely a non-narrative structure. Vivid visuals. Synth music.

That was done already -- with Refn's VALHALLA RISING. Didn't care for it at all.

What I want is what Mel Gibson had planned for a long time -- a genuine, well-researched portrayal a la his PASSION OF THE CHRIST. Enough with the Hollywood vikings already (and yes, that includes the VIKINGS tv series). We need to get down and dirty. And the actors would need to speak genuine old Norse. I want it to be super-realistic.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    What I want is what Mel Gibson had planned for a long time -- a genuine, well-researched portrayal a la his PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Except for the Latin/Greek thing (among other things probably).

Then again, it is a comicbook film.
  4. Thor wrote

What I want is what Mel Gibson had planned for a long time -- a genuine, well-researched portrayal a la his PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Well researched in a bible-student kind of way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Well researched in a bible-student kind of way.

Sure, if that's what it takes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well no, because Vikings were real. It would simply take historical research.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015
    Historical research, Biblical research -- the point is I want them to stick close to what has been written, and make it as real as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Historical research, Biblical research

I'm glad you draw a distinction. wink But yes, I see what you mean.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    And the actors would need to speak genuine old Norse. I want it to be super-realistic.

I hear where you're coming from, I always have a problem when Hollywood goes all "ve haf vays of making you talk" Nazi German clichés but does anyone know what old Norse sounds like? I could site adaptations of Henry V, no one spoke English back then ( In Sheakespeare's or Henry V's time ) tones like Laurence Olivier or Kenneth Brannagh. Most high born Brits spoke French as a first language, god knows what common English sounded like when spoken.
  5. An English literature student friend of mine said that Shakespaerean English sounded quite close to what we know today as American accent. There are attempts at reconstructing how that English sounded like... it's on youtube, from what I've heard.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. That's what I learned when I took some classes in English Literature back in University. If you pronounce Shakespeare's text in American English words rhyme that otherwise do not. That's funny considering the style of English the RSC cultivates today.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited
    I've never heard anywhere that it sounded like "American" English?

On this it sounds like various regional English accents, particularly the West country, Cornwall in particular comes to mind.

In this one a number of accents are cited including American.

Very interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    And the actors would need to speak genuine old Norse. I want it to be super-realistic.

I hear where you're coming from, I always have a problem when Hollywood goes all "ve haf vays of making you talk" Nazi German clichés but does anyone know what old Norse sounds like? I could site adaptations of Henry V, no one spoke English back then ( In Sheakespeare's or Henry V's time ) tones like Laurence Olivier or Kenneth Brannagh. Most high born Brits spoke French as a first language, god knows what common English sounded like when spoken.

I guess no one will know EXACTLY what it sounded like, but by studying the Futhark and the sound each rune represented, one can get a basic idea. It sounded very much like Icelandic does today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=542kb9SxBW8
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What? They sang spoke? wink

A shame Mel Gibson never got his film off the ground but I wouldn't have expected it to be a very accurate portrayal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    I guess no one will know EXACTLY what it sounded like, but by studying the Futhark and the sound each rune represented, one can get a basic idea. It sounded very much like Icelandic does today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=542kb9SxBW8

Totally unconnected with this conversation a friend just put this up on FB.
  7. Well, Hamlet should certainly not sound like some Texan hill-billy, even in a historic critical production. It's rather that American English was more conservative in it's development than British English. American dialects were not as much effected by the British standardisation called "Received Pronunciation" that came about via Caxton's printing press and later the King James Bible. (A close parallel to the development of Standard German.) Or so I understand.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Come again???? confused
  8. Shakespeare's English was rhotic.
  9. And erotic.