• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    The middle act, with all its steampunk elements, is really good. The first and last, however, not so much.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Currently on TV: Independence Day (1996) - Roland Emmerich

This film is so heavily bonkers that it's actually fun to watch.

alien Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Currently on TV: Independence Day (1996) - Roland Emmerich

alien Volker

Hand it to the Germans to make something so completely (and deliciously) over-the-top in terms of American patriotism (Wolfgang Petersen's AIR FORCE ONE being another example)! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Air Force One is the only action film I've seen where rather than rooting for the protagonist I want to give him a hug!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I have The Temple of Doom on the same list as "Star Trek: Nemesis":

The Never Fucking Again list.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015
    Captain Future wrote

alien Volker

The definition of bloated big budget rubbish! I can't stand this film though I can watch crap like bloated big budget rubbish like 2012, just a personal thing I guess. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

alien Volker

The definition of bloated big budget rubbish! I can't stand this film though I can watch crap like bloated big budget rubbish like 2012, just a personal thing I guess. wink

Ah, but you didn't see ID4 as a 19-year-old on a gigantic 70mm screen in Oslo with audience reactions through the roof! wink

Beside my personal connection, though, I've always considered it an extremely welldone satire -- done very subversively through a commercial, accesible "pop corn" format. But that's a suspicion I have; I have no idea if Emmerich & Devlin actually had that in mind.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. The difference between something like ID4 and the modern blockbuster is that Emmerich's film actually has humour. It doesn't have a stick up its own ass. While the seriousness works for me in a Batman film (which does have its elements of dry humour and even some scarily funny moments in The Dark Knight), in Man of Steel the dead serious approach was something that hurt the film for me and, in a way, showed me that they didn't really have much of a heart when making it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    In general, I prefer films that take themselves extremely seriously (no surprise there), but I have a soft spot for the films of my formative years that did not. This is one of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just came back from JURASSIC WORLD. Don't worry, I'm not going to spoil anything. However, I can say that the opening of the film was the highlight for me. There's a whole 'getting to see the island' sequence that is carefully edited to the hits of John Williams' theme. Wow, cool. It also puts into the relieff that dreary score by Giacchino, which once again comes off as a sequence of random chords. I seriously can't see what you guys see in him. Baffled.

As for the film itself, let me just say it's better than the trailer suggests, but also with LOADS of warts, so it wasn't completely off. I'll refrain from spoiling anything at this point.

There are a few more of Williams' secondary themes too -- like the 'mystery chords' on horn, some tribal percussion that sounds kinda like THE LOST WORLD and the "Remembering Petticoat Lane" theme (I think) for a particular reference scene.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm like a moth to a flame. Dinosaurs mean I'll see it later this week.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I would be surprised if you didn't.

You'll probably not like the gen-modified Indominus Rex thingie, and although that is the protagonist of the dinos, plenty of other creatures that roam about.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

This.
    And I have zero problems with gen-or-otherwisely-modified dinos.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

This.
    And I have zero problems with gen-or-otherwisely-modified dinos.

biggrin applause
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

You'll probably not like the gen-modified Indominus Rex thingie.

Nah! Not bothered. The Spinosaurus from JP III has already been proved anatomically wrong in more recent years so I have no probs with boffins fucking around with genetics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015 edited
    Riding the monmentum of Jurassic World Dutch TV is broadcasting every single dinsoaur film they can get their claw...hands on. Just finished watching Jurassic Park again.
    Like Star Wars and Raiders it's one of those films that even if I HAVE the DVD ready and available in my collection (which I do), I STILL keep hanging in when I find it's on.

What a great movie this is. Not a single note is wrong.
    And the T-Rex rescue ending is just SO iconic! When the docs and the kids drop off the skeleton and are menaced by the two velocirpators I caught myself whispering "wait for it....waaaait for iiiittt"
    trex
    Love it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015 edited
    It ain't perfect, and would have been better without the kids (or less of them)... but it is a damn good film with some truly great scenes. Spielberg's great whatever he does, but I want him to return to popcorn films. Screw that new Cold War film, I couldn't care less.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015
    Well, maybe it's gonna have aliens.
    Or dinosaurs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It should have been Robopocalype...it should have been Robopocalype cry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...or an old testament artefact containing sky wizard powers.

Actually I want to see this one. Spielberg has had a few misfires IMO, Lincoln being his worst and it ranks alongside Warren Beatty's Reds as the most boring film I've ever had the misfortune to sit through.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, imagine if he'd made that for release this year and then John Williams hadn't scored it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to Bridge of Pies, particularly when they're doing the steak and stilton one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    On second thoughts REDS did at least get interesting for the 10 minutes Jack Nicholson appeared.

Lincoln is numero uno most boring film of all time but I admit I have never seen Andy Warhol's 24 hour epic of a stationary camera focused on The Empire State Building.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oddly, I quite enjoyed Lincoln. It was led by such great performances, it kept me glued. So yeah, maybe I'll catch Bridge of Spies on TV one day and end up enjoying it. But until that time, I'm not happy. Not happy at all. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm not happy either. SCREW YOU. SCREW THE LOT OF YOU.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Oddly, I quite enjoyed Lincoln.

okay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Lincoln was fine. Reds will be fine.
    We're all fine here. Now. Thank you.

Now can we talk about dinosaurs again?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Now can we talk about dinosaurs again?

Abso-bleeding-lutely!

Sanity is restored.