• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015
    Haven't seen this one yet Bregt but I have seen Andersson's two previous films which are the earlier parts of his loosely defined trilogy - defined mostly by their similar stylistic approach to storytelling. He's very much an acquired taste, no doubt, but I thought You, the Living in particular had a real touch of genius about it. Your description of this has me excited about something that seems along very similar lines. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2015 edited
    Bregt wrote
    A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (En duva satt på en gren och funderade på tillvaron) by Roy Andersson

Well, that must've been one of the oddest movies I've seen. My girlfriend said it was the most depressing movies she's ever seen and didn't liked it at all. No moving camera, just about 40 "portraits" of scenes with often the same characters, or people who return, even though they're no part of the "main story". Some of these scenes are rather hilarious, fascinating and spectacular ([spoiler]the song at the bar, the entrance of the army in an other bar[/spoiler]) but usually are distant and very bleak. One of the last scenes is actually quite harrowing, followed by a call for questioning by one of the main characters.

It's perhaps a bit a sad look on life, that people often say the same things just to fill gaps, and when someone raises a question that is not part of this "routine", someone answers that he should be quiet because people need to work tomorrow. This is followed by a funny scene at a bus stop.

Odd thing this. Not sure what to think.

Anyone else has seen it?

Yes, of course, and I did like it very much.

However, it can't compare to his earlier masterpieces EN KÄRLEKSHISTORIA [A SWEDISH LOVE STORY] (1970) and SANGER FRÅN ANDRA VÅNINGEN [SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR] (2000). Especially the latter is a mindboggling piece of art, analyzed and applauded in most circles.

Even though his films contain lots of static shots, there's always so much going on inside the frame. And the way he explores DEPTH in the image is always fascinating.

Mostly, though, I absolutely ADORE his absurd sense of humour. Very much up my alley, comedy-wise.

But I can understand why people more attuned to classical storytelling (and not accustomed to this particular form of Scandinavian humour) might find his films offputting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thor wrote
    Even though his films contain lots of static shots, there's always so much going on inside the frame. And the way he explores DEPTH in the image is always fascinating.

Yes. Very true. All look like perfect pictures, and often there's a window or door entrance through which an other story can be seen or is continued. But most of them are rather cold coloured in this movie.

Mostly, though, I absolutely ADORE his absurd sense of humour. Very much up my alley, comedy-wise.

But I can understand why people more attuned to classical storytelling (and not accustomed to this particular form of Scandinavian humour) might find his films offputting.

Most of the time I had a grin on my face. It's absurd and so odd sometimes. Funny. But also depressing. The two main characters are sometimes funny but at the same time so sad. dizzy Kaat loves all kinds of movies but I guess this time she thought this was not a good idea to spend the evening. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scandinavian media is 99% depressing anyway.
    I think it's due to a lack of palm trees.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Scandinavian media is 99% depressing anyway.
    I think it's due to a lack of palm trees.

Or a lack of Martijn?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Which will remain at a steady 100%.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PETER CUSHING
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2015
    The Book Thief

Wholly unengaging and dull, which is some achievement for a film about what it's about.
  1. Southall wrote
    The Book Thief

Wholly unengaging and dull, which is some achievement for a film about what it's about.

That explains the music then.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. If it wasn't a Williams score in question I'd have thought Thor had hacked Alan's account just for the purpose of posting yet another inflammatory opinion.
  3. Yes, it's an opinion. 'Inflammatory'? Well, that's just the way you want to deal with the opinion.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited
    Speaking of inflammatory...

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

The fourth Indy film gets a lot of flak for being the worst, and deservedly so. But this isn't far behind. The cons outweigh the pros by a wide margin. It has: a great score, a young Harrison Ford and an excellent mine cart scene. That's about it. I've never understood why this one has ever been held in high regard apart from those things?

I love watching Indy, and I love seeing him be a hero. Those aspects of the film have me punching the air. But the film itself is shite. Utter shite. And I'm always disappointed whenever I return to it, because my memory of it fares so much better than the movie itself.
  4. Spielberg himself is very critical of the film, the only (for him) good aspect being the fact that he met his wife there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015
    I seem to remember him being quite fond of the score, going as far to say it's the best 'travel music' he's ever heard. (I don't have the source on that one, just a vague recollection from an interview...possibly on the dvd.)
  5. I've heard of opinions that this score features Williams' best action writing (a friend of mine tends to make this claim).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's one of my favourite Williams scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As it is mine. One of the few scores where more is more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Temple of Doom is a fantastic film. FAN-FUCKING-TASIC. Both Lucas and Spielberg took ballsy risks with this movie (ie: Thugee cult), which I applaud. It wasn't just a retread of Raiders. The script is witty (the opening scene dialogue is brilliant). Fantastic performances. Brilliant action sequences. Most hate Willie but I like her as the anti-Marion. The classic damsel in destress. Short Round is also under appreciated. People hate him just because he's a kid but he has instant chemistry with Ford. The cinematography is gorgeous. The score is a masterpiece. The editing is first rate. It's the only Indy film where Indy is a true hero and actually saves the day.

As Willie says at the beginning of the film... "Anything Goes." Once you come to that realization then the film just works. And works brilliantly!

Steven wrote
    I seem to remember him being quite fond of the score, going as far to say it's the best 'travel music' he's ever heard. (I don't have the source on that one, just a vague recollection from an interview...possibly on the dvd.)

It's from the behind the scenes interview on the DVD box set.

-Erik-

PS - Crystal Skull on the other hand is just plain old rubbish!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. I was never as big a fan of the Indy series as of Star Wars. RAIDERS is the undisputed masterpiece. TEMPLE, for all its qualities, is too dark and brutal for my taste. CRUSADE is a highly enjoyable film but is partly a rehash of the first one. (More than Star Wars here.) SKULL I found to be an OK film but nothing more than that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Temple of Doom is a fantastic film. FAN-FUCKING-TASIC. Both Lucas and Spielberg took ballsy risks with this movie (ie: Thugee cult), which I applaud. It wasn't just a retread of Raiders. The script is witty (the opening scene dialogue is brilliant). Fantastic performances. Brilliant action sequences. Most hate Willie but I like her as the anti-Marion. The classic damsel in destress. Short Round is also under appreciated. People hate him just because he's a kid but he has instant chemistry with Ford. The cinematography is gorgeous. The score is a masterpiece. The editing is first rate. It's the only Indy film where Indy is a true hero and actually saves the day.

As Willie says at the beginning of the film... "Anything Goes." Once you come to that realization then the film just works. And works brilliantly!

Steven wrote

It's from the behind the scenes interview on the DVD box set.

-Erik-
    S - Crystal Skull on the other hand is just plain old rubbish!

You said it Erik, everything about that film is classic Spielberg, the opening scene, the fun, comedy and wit of the action and adventure, and let's not forget the music that adds life to the adventure. It remains my most favorite Indy film, right after The Last Crusade cheesy
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited
    While Spielberg himself has often quoted the violence as the big drawback of DOOM, that was never an issue to me. No, the big problem with DOOM is its frenetic, cartoon-ish pace (a problem that Spielberg also coped with in 1941, which even had Chuck Jones of Looney Tunes fame to create gags). There isn't much of the maturity left that defined RAIDERS and definitely LAST CRUSADE. But SKULL reverted back to some of it.

That being said, I like the film a lot. Partially out of nostalgia, of course, but also because it has so many inventive setpieces where Spielberg, Williams, Kahn & co. can use all the tools at their disposal.

The score is fine, but also quite whimsical. Which is why the original album is pretty much perfect, while the expansion is abysmal and totally undermines the score's many values. I always have this opinion, of course, but in this case the difference between the two is EXTREME.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Temple of Doom is one of the very few complete scores where I actually feel like the pace never flags and there's something of interest going on from beginning to end! I mean seriously - what would you skip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agreed. I don't often prefer expanded editions but this is a rare one which enhances the listening experience so absolutely I'd never be tempted to revert back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Before I heard the expansion, I had a feeling that this was one of the rare cases where it was warranted. But when I heard it (first the bootleg, then the real deal), I quickly realized it was, in fact, the opposite. This is one of the worst cases -- EVER -- of how a score's quality is completely undermined by the presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. :newsflash: Man discovers evidence of a deeply-held belief. :newsflash:
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I just watched the new, long awaited Girl With the Pearl Earring / Guardians of the Galaxy team-up.

"I am Greet!"
  10. Thor wrote
    Before I heard the expansion, I had a feeling that this was one of the rare cases where it was warranted. But when I heard it (first the bootleg, then the real deal), I quickly realized it was, in fact, the opposite. This is one of the worst cases -- EVER -- of how a score's quality is completely undermined by the presentation.

Okay...but WHY? Like I said, what would you skip? What material drags it down?
  11. I in fact never listened to the album presentation of DOOM. That used to be an obscure pricey Japan release. Can you reconstruct the playlist from the Concord content without editing cues?

Edit: Yes, you can.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  12. Tomorrowland

Yeah, it's flawed, but I had fun at this. The three leads have great chemistry, the film looks great and has some wonderful visual ideas (that anti-gravity swimming/diving pool!) and I'll gladly support anything that is a) an original property (Disney and Epcot aside), b) has a retro-future steam/diesel/clock-punk aesthetic and c) acts as a counterweight to the doom and gloom of much of today's media, even if the film is more than a little hamfisted in how it conveys its message of how HOPE IS A GOOD THING, DAMMIT.

Giacchino's score is a great fit, but I still feel as though he struggles to reconcile his neoromantic (or neo-Williams) orchestral inclinations with the simplicity of his themes. The one that everyone says sounds like the Holy Grail theme from The Last Crusade (isn't it the Henry Jones Sr. theme?) suffers the most from this I think, especially when Giacchino tries to put it through a brassy The Rocketeer-like variation. Like the film, I think he perhaps tries a little too hard and it doesn't come natural the way the best such uplifting music does. I feel bad denigrating it, though, being such a melodic, thematic, orchestral and all-around "good-film-music-y" score and all.