• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Riding the monmentum of Jurassic World Dutch TV is broadcasting every single dinsoaur film they can get their claw...hands on. Just finished watching Jurassic Park again.
    Like Star Wars and Raiders it's one of those films that even if I HAVE the DVD ready and available in my collection (which I do), I STILL keep hanging in when I find it's on.

What a great movie this is. Not a single note is wrong.
    And the T-Rex rescue ending is just SO iconic! When the docs and the kids drop off the skeleton and are menaced by the two velocirpators I caught myself whispering "wait for it....waaaait for iiiittt"
    trex
    Love it!

An interesting point would be comparing it with Spielberg's earlier films in terms of pure story structure: the 1980s classics went from darkness to awe and wonder (that also covers Close Encounters, which is 1977, obviously).

In Jurassic Park, the atmosphere (except the opening) goes from a sense of wonder to darkness. As sweet as Spielberg likes to be, at the end all the characters look like they'll go through some PTSD. I think it actually foreshadows the maturation of the director, if not proves it already (and before Schindler's List). In fact, the dark elements of earlier adventure/family films Spielberg made are quite underrated in terms of how they lead to the wonder-ful conclusions.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. Thor wrote
    It also puts into the relieff that dreary score by Giacchino, which once again comes off as a sequence of random chords. I seriously can't see what you guys see in him. Baffled.

That bafflement is reciprocated. I'm listening to Jurassic World at the moment and I'm enjoying it. It could be my most rewarding Giacchino score in quite a while. And it's got the John Williams references as well!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    It also puts into the relieff that dreary score by Giacchino, which once again comes off as a sequence of random chords. I seriously can't see what you guys see in him. Baffled.

That bafflement is reciprocated. I'm listening to Jurassic World at the moment and I'm enjoying it. It could be my most rewarding Giacchino score in quite a while. And it's got the John Williams references as well!

Ha, ha...this year must be a record year in terms of how different opinions we have on whatever we're hearing. Can't remember it being like this before. Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2015
    With the sad passing of easy listening legend James Last I thought I'd put this excellent BBC documentary charting the history of easy listening, well made, insightful and worth your time.

THE JOY OF EASY LISTENING
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Just saw a documentary about the German terror group RAF on TV that was scored with Zimmer's INTERSTELLAR. That score has become kind of omnipresent in documentaries hereabouts.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Just saw a documentary about the German terror group RAF

Led by Guy Gibson no doubt. wink

sorry shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. If they wanted to add a twist of dramatic irony (and terrible punmanship) they should score that documentary with some Ron Goodwin or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    If they wanted to add a twist of dramatic irony (and terrible punmanship) they should score that documentary with some Ron Goodwin or something.

applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015
    Just saw Tomorrowland today. Went in with low-ish expectations and left having enjoyed the past two hours. It's preachy, but hell, why not! And Giacchino's fun score works very well on the most part.

Just on Temple of Doom, I think it has some truly great scenes and moments and .....SCORE!
    Every freakin' note is brilliant fun! The old album presentation is fine but for decades I'd been waiting for cues that were omitted from the LP. Sadly still waiting for a couple to one day get released in deluxe form.
    My beef is that too many parents let their kids watch this treating it like a Disney family film when it contains human sacrifice and immolation in a truly horrific way. I was sixteen when I first saw it and that stuff messed with me big time! So, if that scene was pulled back perhaps I'd like the film even more.
    Yes, the end of Raiders is gruesome but it's done with awesome spectacle (and to the "baddies").
    But I guess I'm just biased because I LOVE Raiders and would never dare pick on my all time favorite film!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited
    It messed you up at 16!? Crikey. I probably watched this when I was half that age! As long as it isn't too psychological, which Doom isn't, I think gore and violence is fine for kids.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Temple of Doom is a hoot, the best viewing I saw was at Glastonbury Festival in the open with a very lively crowd who booed, jeered and cheered the exploits from beginning to end, easily the best movie viewing experience I've had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's a good "Bad Movie", so yeah... I suppose seeing it with other people is a great way to see it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It's a good "Bad Movie", so yeah... I suppose seeing it with other people is a great way to see it.

Loads of boozed up ( and other things ) people wink

For my own entertainment I far prefer Raiders and Crusade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    It messed you up at 16!? Crikey. I probably watched this when I was half that age! As long as it isn't too psychological, which Doom isn't, I think gore and violence is fine for kids.

Had I been much younger it might have had way less impact on me. But at sixteen I was very shocked at seeing people burning alive (far more than ripping someone's heart out. Go figure!) and watching it so graphically (despite its obvious fakeness). I would say it may have been related to the fact that I knew of a couple of people at that time who were horrifically burnt in car and house fires and here I was watching it for "entertainment". I guess that's why I felt the way I did about "that" bit. But there's still much to enjoy in the film too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Yeah, that about sums it up - a good 'bad movie'. As for seeing it with other people, I've become more and more weary of that over the years. Maybe it's because I've been "spoiled" with press screenings etc., but the best film experiences are NOT the ones in regular, public cinema screenings anymore. Too many people without social skills (lighting up the room with their cell phones, chatting, kicking in the back of my seat, friggin' eating their smelly dinners etc.)
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I saw a film in a cinema in America once. A traumatic experience.
  5. Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, that about sums it up - a good 'bad movie'. As for seeing it with other people, I've become more and more weary of that over the years. Maybe it's because I've been "spoiled" with press screenings etc., but the best film experiences are NOT the ones in regular, public cinema screenings anymore. Too many people without social skills (lighting up the room with their cell phones, chatting, kicking in the back of my seat, friggin' eating their smelly dinners etc.)

My favourite press screening experience was Snyder's Man of Steel and the audience laughing in two moments:

1. When Kevin Costner dies
    2. Russell Crowe saying "I am your father".
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015
    Just watched Exposure Jihad: A British story

Revealing, enlightening and powerful. On ITV it's well worth catching up with if you have access to iplayer or it's on ITV + 1 right now.
  6. Anyone watching the documentary, ATTENBOROUGH'S BIG BIRDS on BBC2?

It has one of the most intrusive and terrible scores that I have ever heard. Waiting to see who it's composed by.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    This fellow, apparently.
  7. Yes, James Barrett it is.
  8. Anyone watching (or has watched) the Swedish drama Jordskott?

I watched the first episode last night and it was a bit intriguing. There also a bit of the supernatural about it, seemingly related to wood/forest. Any opinions from anyone who has seen it?

The second episode is tonight (on ITV Encore) and I will tune in to see how it develops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015
    Three episodes in and I'm not sure about it. It hasn't gripped me the way the other recent Scandinavian imports did. But there's something there, certainly. I'll keep going with it.
  9. Southall wrote
    Three episodes in and I'm not sure about it. It hasn't gripped me the way the other recent Scandinavian imports did. But there's something there, certainly. I'll keep going with it.

Cheers James. I thought that I was the only person who had even heard of it!

I'm still trying to fathom what this is going to turn out to be: either a abduction/murder-solving mystery or a Mother Earth saving the planet from humans/abduction/murder-solving mystery.

There's certainly something intriguing about it that's keeping me watching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015 edited
    Against all my instincts and expectations I really enjoyed The Lego Movie.
    Its off-the-wall jokes, breakneck pace and fantastic animation (everything moves as legos are supposed to move! Including blocks flying about making little bwrrrrrrp sounds, as we made when we built flying machines when we were young) make for a fantastically fun adventure!

Of course it's still geared towards youngsters, so its critical view on social structures (starting off really promising with the truly awful and brilliant "Everything Is Awesome"song the little lego people sing when they go about their humdrum day, doing the same thing day in, day out) gets diluted to your standard 'we're ALL special'" message at the end. But hey, it's a minor quibble for so much fun. And the makers really get what legoes are about: you fit everything together to make it cooler and better!

On a slightly maudlin' note, yeah, you can really tell film makers today are in their mid to end thirties.
    This is not vintage to me.
    This is.

Hey, still a good movie.
    Everything is awesome!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hated THE LEGO MOVIE. Not only because I didn't care much for Lego while growing up, but because I felt it was a noisy and aggravating affair. I'm well aware of what they were trying to do (the satire aspect and all that), but it was simply not for me. However, your enthusiasm was shared by the editor of the film magazine I work for.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    I didn't care much for Lego while growing up

slant I dunno, man...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he....I know. I was an odd kid. Found Lego boring. I DID have an interest in Playmo, though, and as I grew older, action figures became the big thing for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I was totally into Lego Space back then. And I got this for Christmas. That was like living in a dream. I invented adventure stories in those days that would have filled dozens of space opera films. One of my fondest childhood memories.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.