• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014
    Speaking of kids in movies... Jurassic Park girl Lex (Ariana Richards) is a professional artist now. Don't like her style but she's a good painter:
    http://www.galleryariana.com/the-artist/
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    I have seen The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies. I enjoyed it but I think Desolation of Smaug was better. Some things were stupid and many things were good. I did a marathon saturday. I watched all three movies. Yum.

By the way I just listened to the preview clips from the score and I think the score of BOTFA is better than DOS. So I'm happy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje wrote
    Speaking of kids in movies... Jurassic Park girl Lex (Ariana Richards) is a professional artist now. Don't like her style but she's a good painter:

It's obvious she's painted photographs. Yeah, talented painter and not my style either.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregje wrote

Interesting. I love keeping track of child actors who went away, and of course with JP being one of my alltime favourite films, it's extra intriguing.

I agree with you -- the pictures seem rather kitschy, but there's lots of talent there.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Bregje wrote

Interesting. I love keeping track of child actors who went away, and of course with JP being one of my alltime favourite films, it's extra intriguing.

I agree with you -- the pictures seem rather kitschy, but there's lots of talent there.

I quite like the approach she uses in her paintings, particularly in the landscapes and seascapes. But, there's something forced and unnatural about the portraits that I don't like: the poses of her subjects just don't seem relaxed. And, yes, a very talented painter.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    That is why I'm pretty sure these are from photos.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    My initial reaction after googling her to see what she looks like these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Well, I already had a small crush on her back then. We're about the same age.

Another 'child actor' from my time in the 80s and 90s that I googled not too long ago, was Tina Majorino who played the girl in WATERWORLD. She's still a cutiepie too. But except for NAPOLEON DYNAMITE, she hasn't done a lot of stuff since then, and it's mostly TV.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The composer history of that movie is really quite depressing. Started out as Powell, which would have been a fantastic new direction for his career, really something he'd never tried before. Then Christopher Young's name came up, which would have been awesome as well, of course - a big action-packed project with an edge of dark fun, that seems perfect for Young. Then it was Marco Beltrami, a more predictable choice perhaps, but still someone who would thrive in a Mad Max environment I think. And finally...Junkie XL. And yeah, I won't judge before I hear the score blah blah blah yeah whatever I mean COME ON. Look at those three composers who came before him. sad

Before Junk[ie XL] there was a rejected score by Elliot Wheeler.

Powell was announced back in 2003.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2014 edited
    RV: Be Cool (2005)
    A sort-of sequel to the superior Get Shorty, this film follows the exploits of loanshark John Travolta who now, for no apparent reason, feels like breaking into the music production business.

I'd summarise the plot, but it's really waferthin (cute R&B singer needs release from contract with Evil Producer to do a gig with rock legends Aerosmith. Yeah...), and without any consequence.

The film features a star-studded cast (Travolta, Uma Thurman, Harvey Keitel and a slew of cameo appearances) and it's clear the actors are having fun...but it all comes across as a bit of an insider party where we're not invited.
    In the words of another reviewer: "the film is so laid back it actually falls over".

There are some funny moments, but overall it's all rather lukewarm.
    Very best items:
    - The insanely over-the-top stereotypical black 'posse' with their black SUVs, gold-grip guns, rippling muscles in baggy shirts, rap beats blaring, sort of led by the slightly psychotic rapper André 3000.
    - Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson in a VERY surprising role as a homosexual bodyguard. I really applaud him for doing that, knowing the world of preofessional entertainment wrestling is NOT a very gay-friendly environment. (On the other hand, he's The Rock, world heavyweight champion at the time...who the hell was gonna dare say anything? wink )
    - An excellent funky, swinging Powell score. Really, it totally outclasses the film! It's just too bad the soundtrack is mostly one-minute cues, but still: a great and fantastically entertaining listen! I miss that Powell. sad

So: skippable movie.
    Buyable soundtrack.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. STAR WARS Rebels: Spark of Rebellion

This was the first SW feature I saw with the Disney logo opening it. I enjoyed the film. It's was way better then that silly pilot they did for Clone Wars back then. This one instilled that warm SW feeling in my guts. The series promises to be a fine bridge from one trilogy to the other.
    I also started the 6th season of Clone Wars. It looks gorgeous.

STAR.WARS.Will.Rule.Forever. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2014
    Key & Peele

A recent discovery for me, apparently they've been going since 2012. They're brilliant. Lots of sketches on YouTube.

The Mr. T sketch is one of my favourites.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They actually started working together on Mad TV.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, sorry, I meant their current show. I first saw them in Fargo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    Last night I went to see Mr Turner (trailer).
    Nice film, beautiful images and a funny movie too because of his character.

Did anyone see The Theory of Everything? Is it any good? The trailer makes me cry already.
    The trailer also made me think of A Beautiful Mind in many ways though...
    I think I just have to see it for myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2014
    Brian Pern: A Life in Rock

A silly, amusing three-part BBC mockumentary about an ageing rock star. Lots of good cameos, including one by David Arnold, and the most unexpected appearance of Jerry Goldsmith music at the end, Ave Satani accompanying the second coming of Peter Gabriel.
  4. Bregje wrote
    Last night I went to see Mr Turner (trailer).
    Nice film, beautiful images and a funny movie too because of his character.

Did anyone see The Theory of Everything? Is it any good? The trailer makes me cry already.
    The trailer also made me think of A Beautiful Mind in many ways though...
    I think I just have to see it for myself.

I've seen it. It's not as close to A Beautiful Mind as The Imitation Game is. Stephen's such a cheeky character that it changes the dynamic a bit. I don't think I put spoilers in the review on this page:
    (Although there is at least one part of the true story I mentioned)
    http://daisychainrearranged.blogspot.ca … o.html?m=1
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2014
    My Christmas day viewing:

A Grand Day Out
    The first Wallace and Gromit. A bit more "basic" than what followed, but witty and delightful. As always when I watch these things I wonder why the music hasn't been released. Not even a Silva recording of the exceptional main theme. I award this film three stars (out of four).

The Lego Movie
    It's creative and witty for the most part but doesn't quite stay consistent throughout and ends up going on a bit too long. Still, it's funny and entertaining. I award this film four stars (out of seven).

Star Wars
    This is brilliant. If I hadn't seen it so many times I probably wouldn't notice most of the nit-picks. John Williams provides the best "score what you see" film score there's ever been. When people equate what Howard Shore did for Middle Earth with this, they're out of their minds. I award this film five stars (out of five).
  5. Southall wrote
    When people equate what Howard Shore did for Middle Earth with this, they're out of their minds.

Then that makes me christmas_drunk

Seriously, I think they're about on equal footing, but my own nostalgia and fandom and geekery is far stronger with Lord of the Rings than with Star Wars, so that probably plays an enormous role for me.

I watched Die Hard on Christmas, which has come full circle and become a cliche, but I don't care. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I watched How To Train Your Dragon 2. Everything about it was done well - the effects, the cinematography, the editing - John Powell gave us the best score he's ever written - but at the end of it, I didn't feel like I'd been entertained. It felt like a more mature film within a wrapper of a kids movie, and I can't quite put my finger on which age range it was intended for.
  6. For me the How to Train Your Dragon scores are on that same pedestal with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, so by now I think my insanity can be officially confirmed.
  7. Southall wrote

John Williams provides the best "score what you see" film score there's ever been.

Sorry, but that's fanboy nonsense. Like Korngold, Hermann, Rozsa, Waxman and others had never existed, like Williams was not standing on their shoulders when he wrote STAR WARS.

His leitmotiv-Wagnerian musical story telling is one possible way of scoring among others. What Shore does is technically quite coparable. If you like his music is up to you.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

John Williams provides the best "score what you see" film score there's ever been.

Sorry, but that's fanboy nonsense. Like Korngold, Hermann, Rozsa, Waxman and others had never existed, like Williams was not standing on their shoulders when he wrote STAR WARS.

Well, at least you weren't patronising about it.

In what possible way is saying that I think Williams's score is the best one that's been written in that style suggesting that I am not aware of its fairly obvious lineage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    His leitmotiv-Wagnerian musical story telling is one possible way of scoring among others. What Shore does is technically quite coparable. If you like his music is up to you.

My point was that Shore's strict adherence to the technique is at odds with Williams's more fluid interpretation.
  8. Southall wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote

Well, at least you weren't patronising about it.

Yes.

In what possible way is saying that I think Williams's score is the best one that's been written in that style suggesting that I am not aware of its fairly obvious lineage?

IMO you really can't make such "absolute" statements or can you? I mean, why is STAR WARS better than BEN HUR or NORTH BY NOTHWEST? That SW is among the best "leitmotivic" scores ever written is something we will probably all agree on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    Key & Peele

A recent discovery for me, apparently they've been going since 2012. They're brilliant. Lots of sketches on YouTube.

The Mr. T sketch is one of my favourites.

*cough*

Brilliant indeed. It's not all their sketches that work for me, but the ones that do I find absolutely hilarious. They are both great actors and their parodies of films and film clichés are spot on. I also enjoy their use of music, and they have used Two Steps From Hell in many of their sketches.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha! I obviously missed this. Good man! beer (Leave it to Thor to poo poo it. biggrin )

I think their show has a great look to it, always very cinematic. And no laugh track, which we get a lot of in Britain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have no clue what you're all talking about.

But in general, I gravitate towards British comedy (or more absurd types) than the more concrete, point-based American variant.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Poo poo!
  9. Captain Future wrote
    IMO you really can't make such "absolute" statements or can you?

When talking about art surely it's implicit that everything is our opinion or do we need to preface everything we say with, "in my opinion"?