• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Timmer wrote
    Also known as A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS wink

Great choice Cobweb.

I notice on YouTube that someone has overlaid Yojimbo with Morricone's score for A Fistful of Dollars.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2014
    Nothing surprises me regarding rescoring on YT clips.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    I have a score from a Japanese animation film included in the remainder or my chart.

Princess Mononoke is my guess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I have a score from a Japanese animation film included in the remainder or my chart.

Princess Mononoke is my guess.

It's no 38, so this riddle will be solved rather soon.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yojimbo is an excellent choice - though I only have the complete Toho CD version.

The Toho CD remains an essential disc because it is the complete YOJIMBO (and those 3 volume sets are one of the largest CD tributes to any film director).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote

Great choice Cobweb.

Thanks.

Even though YOJIMBO is known as the inspiration for the more famous Sergio Leone opus, the instrumentation of YOJIMBO (saxophones, harpsichord, percussion & brass) is rather similar to Edwin Astley's TV music for the hour-long DANGER MAN episodes.
    So if you like DANGER MAN, you'd probably like YOJIMBO - and vice versa (depending on which you have heard first).
  3. Cobweb wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Yojimbo is an excellent choice - though I only have the complete Toho CD version.

The Toho CD remains an essential disc because it is the complete YOJIMBO (and those 3 volume sets are one of the largest CD tributes to any film director).

The CDs were available individually and I have about 5-6 of them. They can be difficult to listen to though, with their short track lengths and multiple similar versions of cues.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Great choice Cobweb.

Thanks.

Even though YOJIMBO is known as the inspiration for the more famous Sergio Leone opus, the instrumentation of YOJIMBO (saxophones, harpsichord, percussion & brass) is rather similar to Edwin Astley's TV music for the hour-long DANGER MAN episodes.
    So if you like DANGER MAN, you'd probably like YOJIMBO - and vice versa (depending on which you have heard first).

Yep! Not too dissimilar at all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2014
    A bit slow this week. I'll get # 35 up soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2014
    i'm starting to think about 1964
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  4. sdtom wrote
    i'm starting to think about 1964
    Tom

1964 was a very good year!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ..for frank Sinatra.
  5. ... and for The Beatles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not so good for Peter Lorre, though.
    OK, working on my 11-20 list (yeah, I'm behind. shame ) to be up shortly.

BTW massive shout-out to Cobweb for including Brian May's fantastic Thirst!
    And just when I thought that would be pretty much the only time our apparently conversely asymptotic tastes collided, he pops in an album that is actually in my top 50 as well: Antony And Cleopatra!
    Go, Cob!
    biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    ..for frank Sinatra.

very good
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Not so good for Peter Lorre, though.
    OK, working on my 11-20 list (yeah, I'm behind. shame ) to be up shortly.

Am I getting deja-vu here? dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Don't be mean! cry I'm tryin' here!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    so when is the list going to appear
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014 edited
    Right about...now?

11 Star Trek - Jerry Goldsmith
    What can be said that hasn't been said a million times before? Goldsmith's magnum opus is less about Star Trek per se than it is about creating a fullblooded, coherent symphonic love song for the majesty and miracle of space and human endeavour. I never tire of listening to this score. Never.

12 King Of Kings - Miklos Rozsa
    Rozsa's most powerful foray into the world of the Bible is as close to a religious experience as I'll ever get. Rozsa translates the hope of a saviour and a new beginning, the enduring strength and warmth of a loving all-father into a music that easily bridges the gap between our own understanding of the natural world and that of ultimate surrender to faith.
    It is incredibly seductive, and incredibly beautiful.
    And why Rozsa's The Lord's Prayer hasn't immediately been taken on into canonical church music, I'll never understand.

13 How The West Was Won - Alfred Newman
    What a hell of an achievement! Maybe the greatest score ever composed for a western, this score just bristles with Knock-out themes in a truly massive scope. This is a SCORE for an EPIC, and it will not let you forget it.

14 La Revolution Francaise - Georges Delerue
    While the whole of the score is truly stnning in its moody beauty (a well known Delerue mark of excellence, of course), it's really so high on my list for the stunning La Hymne A La Libertée which really should replace the French national anthem.

15 Farewell To The King - Basil Poledouris
    Allegedly Poledouris' most John Barry-esque score? Me, I can't hear it. It's just a wonderful, relatively restrained score that offers a surprisingly rich scala of emotions, making it a score to relisten to time and again.
    And of course fantatsic themes abounding.

16 All The Pretty Horses - Marty Stuart; Kristin Wilkinson & Larry Paxton
    By all accounts a terrible movie...but the folksy score and its pervading theme really got to me (and yes, the actual lullaby plays an important role in it). While not overly original, the blatant emotional impact of the chord progressions just never fails to touch me. It just works. Every time.

17 Django - Luis Bacalov
    Tied, for me, with Morricone's For A Few Dollars More for best western score ever. It keeps taking unexpected emotional turns while still without a doubt deeply beholden to the then-standard Spaghetti Style. But it's quirky, moody and powerful...with a HELL of a theme.

18 The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift - Brian Tyler
    Surprise entry! biggrin I just absolutely love the unrelenting energy of this score, which is genuinely exciting and fresh (much unlike the movie or its myriad spin-offs, sequels, prequels and remakes). A fantastic energetic score that I never tire of, although I'm certainly exhausted at the end of each listen.

19 The Lord Of The Rings - Leonard Rosenman
    I love Shore's scores. I really do. And there may well be a tinge of childhood nostalgia to this entry...but damn, it's such an evocative score. It really emphasises the other-worldness of Middle Earth without becoming (too) avant-garde, while still sporting some lovely themes...and one of the most menacing and unsettling action cues in history.

20 Experiment In Terror - Henry Mancini
    An overlooked little gem in Mancini's huge oeuvre. The score sports several "listener friendly" entries in the lounggey pop/jazz mode we know so well from the composer, but half of the album is of a very dark and menacing nature, with one of Mancini's finest non-fluffy themes ever.

Right!
    On to 21-30
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014 edited
    A great list Martijn.

About the only one on your list I don't care for is the Brian Tyler score though it certainly has its moments.

Loved what you said about Star Trek TMP, I wish I'd said something along those lines. ( # 6 on my list )

Farewell To The King is one that very nearly made my top 50. It is Barryesque and I hear it clearly.

Really pleased to see someone choose Rosenman's LOTR score, it really is excellent and I too probably have the nostalgia factor with this.

As for the Delerue score, I'm looking forward to ( very soon now ) binning my CDR.

Everyone else: I'll get # 35 up by tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    What can be said that hasn't been said a million times before? Goldsmith's magnum opus is less about Star Trek per se than it is about creating a fullblooded, coherent symphonic love song for the majesty and miracle of space and human endeavour. I never tire of listening to this score. Never.

The only drawback to this score is it encourages you to watch the film it was written for.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    As for Henry Mancini, I always thought it was a shame he never got a crack at a Bond film. IMO Mancini was the only equal of John Barry when it came to writing songs for film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

The only drawback to this score is it encourages you to watch the film it was written for.

I don't mind. I enjoy it. Critics at the time dubbed it Star Trek The Motionless Picture and that's pretty accurate really but at the same time it gave Jerry Goldsmith the kind of canvas most film composers can only dream of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I love the imagery to be fair, and it introduced the newer version of the original Enterprise, the best one. But Christ does it go on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I tried re-watching it a few times, thinking it couldn't possibly as static and poorly developed as I remembered.
    It really is though.

I prefer even to re-watch Star Trek V (which for all its flaws at least got the character interaction absolutely right).
  6. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote

True. I really have to revisit this great film. wink
  7. Great list Martijn! I have to admit that I am not familiar with 5 scores you named. I'll look them up on Spotify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    True. I really have to revisit this great film. wink

biggrin
    Here's the thing: I love many of the visuals (and we've greatly expounded on the music).
    But I just think, going by the original series (and, mercifully, the rest of the film entries), they got the interaction (especially between the three main leads) completely off.
    There's no warmth, wit or strength in it, and that, more than anything else, very much lessens my enjoyment of the film.
  8. I always liked the film, it's obvious flaws notwithstanding. I love the director's cut that IMO greatly improves it. It's a wonderful story poorly executed but it is the "purest Roddenberry" save "Insurrection". I think they tried to show how the characters had involved given the time that had passed since the end of the 5 year mission. I think that is a bold step and in my perception there is no shortage of warmth, wit or strength.
  9. Hey Tim, will it be a doubble entry next monday?