• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Personally, I am quite detached about any portrayal of Scotland in Holywood. I'm not sure there's much that's factually accurate about anything that you see on screen and what's used in the music comes way down in any annoyance list that there may be.

Traditional bagpipes are very limiting when it comes to playing "proper music" and, as Thor says, to 99% of the audience, it sounds Scottish and that's what the film-makers are looking for. It's all make believe up there on the screen and why should the music be any different.

It's interesting to hear Antonio Sanchez' percussion only score for Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - I wonder if anyone would try a bagpipes-only score for a film? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014 edited
    Whether Uilleann pipes or bagpipes, my next fave upstages both by using drainpipes played under water!

43: QUILLS (2000) by Stephen Warbeck, on RCA CD (2000).

Warbeck is yet another composer on my Top 50 who is not a favorite composer with respect to his overall output ... but he accomplished a singular and 'way out' opus with QUILLS.

QUILLS covers a musical spectrum from the innocuous to the lurid ... and from period instruments to unorthodox non-instruments.

Review, if you will, the following lineup of performer credits from the QUILLS soundtrack album, some of whom are listed as member of The Lunatic Band:

Artwork By [Art Direction For Rca Victor] – Caroline Ulrich
    Bass – Tim Harries
    Brass [Serpent, The Lunatic Band] – Dave Powell
    Cello – Nick Cooper
    Clarinet [Bass], Performer [Damnoni] – Martin Robertson
    Composed By [Score], Producer – Stephen Warbeck
    Concertmaster – Rolf Wilson
    Conductor [Score Conducted By] – Nick Ingman
    Contractor [Music Contracted By] – Isobel Griffiths
    Copyist [Music Preparation By] – Andrew Green (4), Graham Read
    Drums [The Lunatic Band] – Paul Clarvis
    Guitar – John Parricelli
    Lute [Cittern, The Lunatic Band], Mandolin [The Lunatic Band] – Graeme Taylor, John Parricelli
    Orchestrated By [Assisted By] – Andrew Green (4)
    Orchestrated By [Orchestrations By] – Stephen Warbeck
    Other [A&r Direction] – Bill Rosenfield
    Other [Creative Executive] – Michael Knobloch
    Other [Music Supervised For Twentieth Century Fox] – Robert Kraft
    Percussion – Gary Kettel
    Performer – Lunatic Band, The
    Performer [Filophone], Performer [Whirring Stick] – Paul Clarvis
    Recorded By [Score], Mixed By [Score] – Chris Dibble
    Reeds [Shawms, The Lunatic Band] – Keith Thompson (2)
    Strings [Piano Strings], Performer [Pole-cheng] – Stephen Warbeck
    Trombone [Bass], Didgeridoo [Didjeridu], Pipe [Pipes, Drain Pipes] – Richard Henry
    Trombone [The Lunatic Band], Performer [Bucket, The Lunatic Band] – Richard Henry
    Violin [The Lunatic Band] – Dermot Crehans*
    Violin, Soloist – Dermot Crehan
    Whistle, Clarinet [Bass] – Sarah Homer

Curiously, when the Medieval serpent is utilized in a film score, the resultant soundtrack usually resides on my favorites list (such as Bernard Herrmann's WHITE WITCH DOCTOR and Jerry Goldsmith's ALIEN).

But much more than simply the serpent's presence places QUILLS into my Top 50.

Initially lulling the listener into a false sense of security, Warbeck's QUILLS sounds as if it could be a score from a Jane Austen adaptation. During its mid-section and throughout the remainder of its program, QUILLS possesses music which would not be out of place in a Hammer Horror. smile

The inspiration for the instrumental innovation was, in part, due to director Phil Kaufman.

The QUILLS soundtrack surprised and pleases me so much because it demonstrated that, in Y2K, a film score be as original as classic vintage scores like PLANET OF THE APES or ALIEN.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014
    I'm not familiar with Warbeck beyond his ( very good ) score to CHARLOTTE GRAY.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014 edited
    No Brian May?

#44 MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - MAURICE JARRE

I remember being quite surprised to find the choice for the third instalment of Mad Max wasn't to be scored by director George Miller's regular composer Brian May but by French legend Maurice Jarre. The original album wouldn't have made it on to my list because it included the Tina Turner 1980's power anthems which I've always detested, thankfully Tadlow released a fabulous 2 disc of the complete original score that really opened up this awesomely percussive score. Poignant, powerful and rocking, this is brilliant fantasy scoring at its finest. It's also great to have the original albums three "suite" tracks which were edited together but makes for a personal nostalgic listening experience for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2014
    I've always struggled a bit with Jarre sr., but I loved this film. Never really taken the time to delve into the score alone, though. Maybe now's the time.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. No 44:

Caravans (1978) by Mike Batt

In this list this is the only score of which I never saw the movie. I never seems to air on German TV. However, the score by Mike Batt is outstanding. That goes not only for the iconic main theme. The "radio version" has become an instrumental standard. The entire score is moody, melodic and just fun to listen to. I'm a big fan of Batt and I dig his film music. I wish there would be more.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I have but a few Maurice Jarre scores in my collection. I am not his biggest fan in general but there are scores I love, like Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia or Dead Poets Society. Mad Max is a tad too noisy for me. Too much percussion. Of course "percussion" is Jarre's second name. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jarre does seem to divide people the most when it comes to big name composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

44. BLACK BEAUTY (Danny Elfman)

Elfman is never happier than when he can write 'sad' music, he says, and that is evident in this as well. A strong, bittersweet atmosphere runs through it, combined with hints of a pastoral, "English" sound. The film -- directed by his then-girlfriend Caroline Thompson -- is not very good, but the score is among his very best. I remember first discovering it in the late 90s or early 2000s. It was only available as a rare and OOP Giant Records release at the time, and I had to go through hoops to acquire a copy. But I managed, and I was immediately taken by a different side of Elfman that he hasn't explored very often before or since. It was also the first time I realized that Elfman is an incredibly versatile composer.

I know that the score was recently reissued on an expanded version, but as you might imagine I have no interest in that. The old Giant release is a perfect representation.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A good choice. A score I enjoy a lot.
  4. Timmer wrote

Really? There's a certain German guy whose name means "room" that comes to mind as perhaps having a shot at beating Jarre at divisiveness...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Timmer wrote

Really? There's a certain German guy whose name means "room" that comes to mind as perhaps having a shot at beating Jarre at divisiveness...

I'm really not sure how I overlooked that overwhelmingly MASSIVE fact, Edmund? dizzy

Nup, still haven't figured out what it is. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote

Ha, ha...you should slow down. This is getting way out of hand.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote

biggrin applause

Nothing. NOTHING! is written in stone* when it comes to our own personal film score/film music album choices. There's already choices of my own that I'd like to re-juggle and I'm sure when I've done the 50th there'll be choices I'd like to exchange. I think we're all "loose" like that. wink

*Except for Cobweb's choices. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And before I forget ( because I didn't mention it ), great choice by the Captain on CARAVANS, bloody darned good score with a corking main theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seconded!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Nothing. NOTHING! is written in stone* when it comes to our own personal film score/film music album choices.
    *Except for Cobweb's choices. biggrin

Hey, I'm a 12-tone guy not a 12-stone fellow. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014 edited
    As a preface before my #44, I forgot to mention that I would have ranked Jerry Goldsmith's COMA as my 43rd fave, but I disqualified it because both the MGM LP and the FSM CD have disco numbers which I skip over when I listen, plus the FSM combines COMA with non-Goldsmith scores for THE CAREY TREATMENT and WESTWORLD.

Similarly, my #44 would have been Toru Takemitsu's 1978 EMPIRE OF PASSION - except that I own neither the original LP nor its reissue in a massive Takemitsu CD compilation. Very effective music, but I never seemed to have come accross the opportunity (nor the funds) to acquire this title. My Criterion Collection DVD will have to suffice me ... so, my actual #44 is ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2014 edited
    #44: THE VILLAGE (2004), by James Newton Howard on Hollywood Records CD.

This is the most recent title within my Top 50. Yet, THE VILLAGE is by now 10 years old.
    I feel that a film or an album should age and ferment - as with fine wine - before being labeled as 'classic'.
    While there may be a few new releases whose music I like, I shy away from calling something an instant classic and prefer instead that a musical work endure the passage of time so that the music's character and value can be assessed at critical distance.

JNH's THE VILLAGE is, thus far, my favorite film score and album from the 21st century.
    Since THE VILLAGE is of a relatively recent vintage, I expect members here to be very familiar with it and I won't discuss it at length.

The aspect of this soundtrack which I love the most is its concertante form - that is, a instrumental soloist (in this instance a violinist) interacts with and apart from the orchestra.
    THE VILLAGE is the sort of film score which I think is rather difficult to successfully pull off. It could be regarded as a Concerto for Violin and Orchestra by soundtrack collectors yet be viewed as film music by classical music lovers. THE VILLAGE is both, and there's not many of its ilk throughout the history of movie music.

I even fancy that THE VILLAGE ignited a mini-trend of having a virtuoso soloist perform in film scoring sessions (consider Howard Shore's EASTERN PROMISES or JNH's THE HAPPENING for cello and orchestra).
    Desplat's THE PAINTED VEIL has pianist Lang Lang as its 'star' and this no doubt was a factor in having its soundtrack album appear on Deutsche Grammophon (not a label known to be associated with film music!)

Is this a genuine trend? Probably not, but it was very nice while it lasted.

James Newton Howard is not Ralph Vaughan Williams, and THE VILLAGE is not "The Lark Ascending".
    But THE VILLAGE may very well be the closest thing to a romance for violin and orchestra that was issued forth from the world of film music.
  6. I love that score, and it's a worthy addition to your list. It's funny you don't mention that most strongly bears it's influence - Christopher young's CREATION.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Surprise choice there, Cobweb. I certainly did not expect something as 'commercial' as that, judging from your previous choices. Cool!

By the way, there are several film composers who have nurtured a relationship with Deutsche Gramophon in recent years. Perhaps the biggest name is Max Richter, who in addition to being a concert composer has also done his fair share of films over the the last few years, with soundtrack on DG. Actually, he's a composer that should be up your alley, but I'm sure you're already familiar with him.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I badly need to see THE VILLAGE. I can hear the score is very good music, still it never registered with me the way it obviously does with many other film music connoisseurs. So I need to hear it in context.

Volker
  8. Wasn't expecting that - i.e. a score I've actually heard and one that I can actually enjoy - from you, Cobweb. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb hits the popular button eh? biggrin wink

It's an excellent score.
  9. Yeah, a masterpiece.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014 edited
    And just so I know where I am...

My list so far from 1 - 46

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    TRUE CONFESSIONS - Delerue
    LIFEFORCE - Mancini
    JANE EYRE - Williams
    THE FILM MUSIC OF - C. Gunning
    SOMMERSBY - Elfman
    THE DARK CRYSTAL - Jones
    WATERSHIP DOWN - Morley
    THE FURY - Williams
    TOTAL RECALL - Goldsmith
    KING KONG - Barry
    CONAN THE DESTROYER - Poledouris
    MAD MAX BEYOND THUNDERDOME - Jarre
    RED SONJA - Morricone
    THE TIME MACHINE - Garcia
    YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - Barry
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    I was listening to THE VILLAGE yesterday. I turned it off halfway through and played some Vaughan Williams instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bah!!! What humbug! The Village is really lovely!
    My third favourite JNH.
    Right after Arvo Pärt's Snow Falling O...oh...wait... shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    applause