• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    I'm not the biggest football fan but for some reason the world cup I just enjoy to watch, because of the matchplay but also the drama and entertainment surrounding it. Favorite matches I saw so far were Spain-Netherlands, Brazil-Mexico and Australia-Netherlands. Lots of excitement. The tournament has been great if it weren't for some highly questionable penalty decisions early on.

As for Belgium, they always start terrible, if you want to score against them you have to do it in the first half hour. Still, highly enjoyable second half against Algeria.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    At least you have a team in the tournament.

Neither Norway nor any other Nordic country is in it this year. Disconcerting.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    No, for me it is more about creativity, ingenuity, original choices, quick plays and technicall skills. Not too physical. It's not accidental that Zinedine Zidane is my alltime favourite footballer.

Because Zidane never let passion and intensity get to him. tongue

Okay, that was a cheap shot, and I can certainly see where you're coming from. I love to see that kind of thing as well. But even an "ugly" game can be extremely engaging and suspenseful if both sides are really throwing themselves into it like Holland and Australia (and Chile) were. In fact, I prefer that kind of thing to, say, the detached and cool way Spain has played in the last few years. Sure, it's more technical (and it works, or rather worked), but after watching the ball bounce from Iniesta to Xavi to Alonso to Silva back to Iniesta to Alonso to Busquets to Ramos to Silva to Xavi to Iniesta again...I think it's pretty dull, to be honest (but not as bad as Italy's catenaccio - and yeah, I'm aware they don't play that as much anymore, but still). Give me a team that makes mistakes, but also puts the pressure on, plays offensively and tries to get things done, any day of the week.

What I really don't like to see is when both sides seem unwilling or unable to take chances, fight or be creative and technical. There's a huge difference between Brazil-Mexico's 0-0 (which was pretty eventful despite being scoreless, and being one myself, I love matches where the keeper ends up being a hero) and Nigeria-Iran's 0-0 (which can be summed up thus).

But in the end, it's all football and I pretty much enjoy watching any game, technical or not. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrancis
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    At least you have a team in the tournament.

Neither Norway nor any other Nordic country is in it this year. Disconcerting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014
    So, anybody watched Greece last night? It was 1 in the morning here so I didn't. I listened a bit on the radio. My boyfriend told me we played way too defensive and that after Katsouranis was expelled we were better. It comes as no surprise to me. I can't understand why the coach keeps calling the same players all the time! I mean we have better ones for sure. And I hate it when a team is constantly on the defense ! Anyway, one more game and we'll know!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  2. That's always been Greece's strategy...defense. I agree that they desperately need some fresh blood and ideas, though.
  3. Tschüss England! See you! Take Care! wave
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014 edited
    Maybe 'tshüss' to Italy too. What they did tonight was utter shite.

This is the tournament of South America. Europe pretty much sucks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Germany and the Netherlands have looked decent and France too, but yeah, generally, South Americans have been the most impressive - and, surprisingly, not the two South American teams you might have expected! (I know Brazil didn't lose either game and Argentina won their only one so far, but they were hardly brilliant.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I thought the Netherlands was good in the match against Spain, then rather mediocre against Australia (even though they won). Germany I haven't seen yet and France I'll see for the first time tonight.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote
    Europe pretty much sucks.

Really? Netherlands wobbled a bit against Australia, but other than that they, Germany and France strike me as by far the most assured and confident sides so far.

Costa Rica is a great story this time around, though. They were the one team everyone wrote off in that group of death and now look what's happened! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2014
    I don't understand how Costa Rica can be so good in football with all those dinosaurs running around.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I prefer Starbucks.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Thor wrote
    I don't understand how Costa Rica can be so good in football with all those dinosaurs running around.

A lot of practice in running. Makes for great developed leg muscles.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Germany were shockingly superior against Portugal in every phase of the game! They defended magnificently and attacked with pace. But they have a tendancy to open tournaments with a blast, then fatigue a little throughout the competition, while other nations, such as Italy, tend to develop their game throughout the competition and deliver their strongest games when the stakes are at their peak. The psychology of these things are sometimes fascinatingly consistent.

I'm glad to see France performing again. Even as finalists in 2006, their game was weak. The weight of their performances then relied on defensive organisation and a revitalised Zidane who navigated his team to some of the most intelligent football ever played, however passive their game was. Now they're suddenly the best counter attacking team in the tournament, and no longer as interested in dominating possession as they used to. What a radical and vital transformation! New coach Deschamps seems to have made some important cultural changes. But I do hope they defend a little less naively when the "real" opponents come in the playoffs...
  6. Looking forward to a World Cup without the bias of the TV presenters and pundits.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. markrayen wrote
    But they (Germany) have a tendancy to open tournaments with a blast, then fatigue a little throughout the competition

Good timing. Germany has a tradition of struggling with their second group match in major tournaments, it would seem. Although their draw against Ghana just now was less due to a poor German performance (nowhere near as good as vs. Portugal, though) than it was due to a vastly superior Ghanaian one (again, compared to Portugal). A truly suspenseful match, with a result that reflects the strong performance by both sides. But it was good to see that, unlike Spain against Chile, Germany pulled themselves together, fought back and equalized in the end (thanks to good old Miro Klose...it's hard for me to imagine a World Cup without him at this stage, even though I know this is his last).

This is turning into an odd World Cup. Teams like Spain, Portugal and England are beaten, only for the victors in all cases to go on to struggle against comparative lightweights like Australia, Ghana and Costa Rica. It seems to me like there are quite a few changes afoot in how national football is looked at, which sides are considered superior and so on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Finally a see-worthy match! Germany-Ghana was great (except for a few down periods, like the beginning of the second half). More of that, please!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. I apologize for the performance of Belgium (1-0 against Russia). Definitely one of the weakest games I've seen on this Cup and one of the weakest they played in a long time. Everybody says we have got great talent, but if they play so cramped you get football like this. The last 10 minutes they showed what they can do, but you see that our biggest loss is Benteke, our target spits of Aston Villa who was injured months before the Cup. With Lukaku we have to play counter football, and when we have to make the game we lack a spits who can hold the ball.

Reason why we suddenly scored out of a counter the moment we received some room (just like the 2-1 of Mertens against Algeria)

Anyway, we're qualified, but that's the only positive thing about this game. Because we didn't deserve to win this game.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014 edited
    I agree that the last 10 minutes where good and that was mostly because Kevin Miralas got in. I remembered him from when he was playing in Olympiakos the team I support here in Greece. He is super! As for teams who don't deserve to win... that's football!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  9. Stavroula wrote
    As for team who don't deserve to win... that's football!

No kidding. Italy in particular (and, back when it used to work in 2004, Greece, sorry Stavi tongue ) have practically made it into an artform and Belgium have proven themselves pretty handy at it too. wink

But what I really came here to post about is one of the most surprisingly entertaining games of the Cup so far, Algeria-S. Korea (4:2). It started with a truly disastrous first half for Korea (probably the worst performance I've seen by any side in the cup so far, including Spain vs. Holland) in which they went down by three, but the coach must have given a hell of a speech in the changing room because Korea came charging back onto the pitch in the second half with every intention of turning the game around. Within five minutes they had pulled one back, but then Algeria struck with their fourth. To their immense credit, Korea never gave up and netted a second, but it was just too much to catch up with. Truly a game of two halves.

Now just waiting for USA-Portugal to start. smile
  10. CRAP! Portugal steals away the second US victory in the last possible second. slant

Still, it would have been pretty lucky for the US (again). At least now a tie between my two teams will be enough to ensure what I thought would be impossible - that both advance to the round of 16. Although I don't think the two former colleague coaches will agree to that, somehow. wink and it wouldn't be right. So the best I can hope for is that desperate Ghanaians and Portuguese come to a tie themselves on Thursday, which would seal the deal no matter what. smile

Excellent goal from Jermaine Jones! Best long-distance goal of the cup so far (not that there have been a whole lot). cool
  11. Stavroula wrote
    I agree that the last 10 minutes where good and that was mostly because Kevin Miralas got in. I remembered him from when he was playing in Olympiakos the team I support here in Greece. He is super! As for teams who don't deserve to win... that's football!

Yes Mirallas played indeed for Olympiakos. And one of my heroes played for your team as well Stavi. Par Zetterberg (he came of Anderlecht, the team I root for). Do you remember him? Very technical attacking midfielder of Sweden. Retired now.
  12. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    As for team who don't deserve to win... that's football!

No kidding. Italy in particular (and, back when it used to work in 2004, Greece, sorry Stavi tongue ) have practically made it into an artform and Belgium have proven themselves pretty handy at it too. wink

The Thing is Edmund, everyone is baffled why we're playing so poorly. So result wise. We played amazing games in the qualification rounds, offensive technical and demanding football. One of the reasons why so many people (even the big names) saw us as an outsider. We honestly don't know why it goes so poorly now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Yes Mirallas played indeed for Olympiakos. And one of my heroes played for your team as well Stavi. Par Zetterberg (he came of Anderlecht, the team I root for). Do you remember him? Very technical attacking midfielder of Sweden. Retired now.

Do I remember Zetterberg?! Are you kidding me?! I had a crush in him when I was young and innocent! I remember how cool and reserved he was when he arrived but we had him climbing fences to celebrate goals with Olympiakos fans in no time!!!
  13. Stavroula wrote

I had a crash in him when I was young and innocent!

Why was?

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014 edited
    Well, thank you Volker for reminding me that I still am young and innocent! Godess Stavi
    I mean I don't look my 32 years and I have never been convicted for anything! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014
    I apparently coincided my trip to Romania with two games of my own country. Or perhaps this was not by accident. Who knows. Need to find an excuse for the game on Thursday.
    Kazoo
  14. Stavroula wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Do I remember Zetterberg?! Are you kidding me?! I had a crash in him when I was young and innocent! I remember how cool and reserved he was when he arrived but we had him climbing fences to celebrate goals with Olympiakos fans in no time!!!

you had a crush on him? wink Well he was handsome indeed. smile Good to know you know him because he was (and still is) my hero. No faker, no guy who goes for lots of show, but a wonderful technical footballer with an amazing free kick