• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2014
    Undeserved penalty kick (Robben clearly dived), but overall a deserved win after the Netherlands dominated the match in the second half.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. So I'm a little late, but Germany manages to scrape through against Algeria with a worrying performance, not necessarily by the team (that too), but rather by Jogi Loew. Why, why, why would you put a complete nobody like Shkodran Mustafi - who played poorly against Ghana to boot - on right defense when you've got Philipp Lahm on your team? ESPECIALLY when you consider that our team is absolutely lousy with strong central midfielders - Khedira, Kroos and Schweinsteiger. Lahm really doesn't need to play there (and was wobbly against both Portugal and Ghana), and I have no idea why Loew continues to insist on it.

I hate to say it, but Mustafi's injury yesterday was one of the best things to happen to our team. With Khedira in mid and Lahm on right, our team was immediately more stable and confident. I hope Loew finally realizes that when we've got one of the five best fullbacks in the world, it might be a good idea to actually play him as a fullback. rolleyes
  2. Well Thor, I don't know if you were watching, but you would have loved Belgium's performance against the USA. Lots of very quick and clever combinations, intelligent passing. If it wasn't for Tim Howard (or you could say, their own poor conversion rate) they'd have won it 4:0 or higher. A deserved win, much though it pains me to wave my (completely unrealistic) dream of a Germany vs. USA final goodbye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014 edited
    I saw the match and I agree with you. Granted, there were periods with more "gung ho" than actual clever gameplay, but both teams combined their high tempo with great combinations and a more open match than the other playoff matches I've seen so far.

No offense to my Belgian friends here, but I was actually rooting for the US a bit -- if only because I want the sport to gain more widespread popularity over there (and you'll need American success for that). And the effort they put down after they got their first goal in the second extra half, was just insane. I could picture an upcoming Hollywood sports film in my inner eye, had they been able to score and win on penalty kicks.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Thor wrote
    No offense to my Belgian friends here, but I was actually rooting for the US a bit

You are crazy.

It was the first game I saw (I didn't see the other games because I was in Romania or not awake at the time) and one of the most exciting football games I've ever seen (but I haven't seen many). The last 15 minutes was nailbiting television. Pity for the goal against the Belgian team. I will be in London for the quarter final game. Not sure if I'll have the time to watch but it will be legendary!
    Kazoo
  3. I sadly didn't see the game, but everyone who did said it was a game for the history books. A wonderful full on action game that finally showed the world what the Belgian team is capable off. Kudos for USA who could have killed us way at the end, but honestly we were the better team and deserved to win this game.

Let's hope they play equally well against Argentina and we could have an equally entertaining game. May the best team win.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014 edited
    Tim Howard is the big thing on the web today smile #ThingsTimHowardCouldSave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    No offense to my Belgian friends here, but I was actually rooting for the US a bit

You are crazy.

It was the first game I saw (I didn't see the other games because I was in Romania or not awake at the time) and one of the most exciting football games I've ever seen (but I haven't seen many). The last 15 minutes was nailbiting television. Pity for the goal against the Belgian team. I will be in London for the quarter final game. Not sure if I'll have the time to watch but it will be legendary!

Of course he is crazy. Wtf US and football (er, 'soccer') ever have in common?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. We're among the 16 best teams in the world, for pete's sake. Over countries like Spain, Portugal, Italy and England. Can't we finally put that tired cliche to bed? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014
    No, it needs years to pass for it to go away and Americans to stop snubbing Soccer in general.
  5. Years have already passed. Stop generalizing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2014
    Nothing has passed dear Ed. The average American will mock soccer and everything European.
  6. And I guess the average Frenchman eats baguettes and wears striped shirts, and the average Englishman wears a monocle and drinks too much tea, and the average Canadian says "eh" and is way too polite, and the average Russian is a vodka-swilling communist? Spare me.
  7. The everage American is a latino immigrant who regards the European welfare systems as the thing to aim for. That's why those Tea Party types are all hysteric.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    And I guess the average Frenchman eats baguettes and wears striped shirts, and the average Englishman wears a monocle and drinks too much tea, and the average Canadian says "eh" and is way too polite, and the average Russian is a vodka-swilling communist? Spare me.

Yes yes Americans don't follow closely their stereotypes at all. America is changing by the day http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander … where.html

Anyway enough with the us soccer team.

Germany's team was great yesterday but Brazil lost their past glory by long. At times close to the end of the match they looked kinda pathetic. Imagine their stress if they make it to the final.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014
    So sorry for Neymar yesterday. It's always hard to see players get hurt that much.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2014
    Brassssiiiiiiiiiiil!!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. Our sports commentator is a master. He called Messi Maradona. Twice. Once per half.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2014
    I can say from my observation, a person who is neutral on soccer, that the ESPN coverage of the games was more than adequate and Howard has had an impact on the USA soccer. In six weeks all will be forgotten as the NFL starts up another season, the baseball pennant races heat up, and college football begins but for now Howard is a hero.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014
    What is the consensus on who will win.
    Tom smile
  9. I'm pulling for Germany, and I don't think their odds are bad by any means. Unless FIFA is really adamant about getting Brazil to win, in which case they could play the game of their lives and still get three penalties called against them and that's it.
  10. FIFA refused to look into the foul that took Neymar out and they refused to cancel the yellow against Thiago Silva.

Brazil has lost really crucial players for this particular game.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    a vote for Brazil?
    Tom smile
  11. Germany wins by one goal ahead.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, Brazil has been totally unimpressive in this cup, so my vote goes to Germany too. That being said, I somehow want Brazil to make to the final in their own tournament. And I also want European teams to succeed. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm fine either way.
    I am extremely serious.
  12. I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Germany-Holland final (although it all depends on how well the relatively inexperienced Dutch defense can shut down Messi). Then at least we'll still get the Brazil-Argentina match, even if it's only for third. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can Brazil pluck a peak-form Pele out of the ether to come back from 5-0 down?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  13. Oh man...not sure I want Netherlands to get through to the final! Still...gotta keep the faith...
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I somehow want Brazil to make to the final in their own tournament.

Any signs of the lord Jesus return to Earth yet?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014 edited
    I suppose, if Germany win the world cup, it'll make up for their manager never having won an Oscar.

Muller agrees that he should have been given it for Shawshank.