• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2015
    Almost gave up on Sinister by Christopher Young. Such a great composer who has rarely put a foot wrong regardless of the type of film he composes for, especially horror. And YET this may be his only ordinary such score. All electronic, it grates and comes pretty close to plain awful and unlistenable which is something I've never experienced before with this composer. Perhaps I'm in the wrong mood, but this was really difficult to listen to.

Now onto The Maze Runner - John Paesano

The opening track with that emotive, powerful 5 note theme is fantastic. Has a vaguely Last of the Mohicans feel (not in terms of actual notes though). Some of Paesano's action music is quite impressive though the obligatory connecting scenes are scored with less skill.
  1. Sinister is a rare score where the best thing about it (by FAR) is the remix. And I'm not (just) saying that to be facetious - that remix really is quite cool. cool
  2. christopher wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    christopher wrote
    THE PELICAN BRIEF - James Horner.

This score, on the whole, is not one of his strongest, but it's full of Hornerisms and has, I think, one of his greatest unsung compositions: "Airport Goodbye". I don't know if I've ever heard anyone praise this track in the years I've been online.

wave Right here!

wink

-Erik-

I stand corrected! I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates this score. smile

Yeah that's one of his more underrated ones. I love the action music and it's cool that he developed it further two years later with Apollo13 .
  3. NP - BOPHA!- James Horner

I had never even heard of this until a couple days ago. It's not too good so far.
  4. James Horner - Field of Dreams

Revisiting this score for a long overdue review for my Polish site.

Since the tragic news, I've been exclusively listening to Horner scores. It's a weird reaction, but I'm coping with the situation by... writing. First, on the day of his passing, I wrote an in memoriam for the website of a magazine I'm collaborating with, then for a friendly site I wrote a long-promised review of The New World (published today) and will write two reviews for next week. As it is the score I know less, I have to reacquaint myself with the music (which I had a little phase for some months ago).

The first review though will be In Country. I will watch the film today. Field of Dreams is set for tomorrow (I haven't seen it yet).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It is a difficult film for me to watch, Field of Dreams. Emotionally flooring and I'm amazed I react like that (I rarely do to Hollywood films). What I wouldn't give for another day with my father...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Braveheart - James Horner

Stunning piece of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Like you guys, I've been listening to a lot of Horner (although not exclusively), and even acquired a great bunch of NEW Horner albums I've been meaning to pick up for ages. This particular composer death has had a weird effect (unlike any before), and will probably only be matched by those of Williams, Elfman, Goldenthal etc.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes... weird effect for me too. Goldsmith was old and ill, Bernstein was even older, Barry wasn't that old but had been inactive for years... I was sad when all of them died. But not like this. For whatever reason this one has really hit me.
  5. Southall wrote
    It is a difficult film for me to watch, Field of Dreams. Emotionally flooring and I'm amazed I react like that (I rarely do to Hollywood films). What I wouldn't give for another day with my father...

I've not seen this film since my father died. I have a feeling that it may resonate with me more the next time I watch it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE NEW WORLD (James Horner)

What the fuck is up with the bird chirping? If I wanted that, I'd bought a "moods" CD instead. Otherwise, fine score.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. A masterpiece IMO. "All is Lost" and "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted" are among my favourite cues by Horner.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2015 edited
    Jurassic World Giacchino

It's suddenly 'clicked' with me...I'll never get used to that effect. It's slightly infuriating, really. Anyway. I'm really enjoying this.
  7. So do I.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Karate Kid - Horner

Not a great one, of course, but it has great parts. "From Master to Student to Master" has that epic sweep he did so well.
  8. JUMANJI - James Horner

First listen.
  9. JUMANJI - James Horner

First listen.
  10. JUMANJI wasn't really my favorite kind of score. It has some good moments, but I don't think I'll return to much else.

NP - BICENTENNIAL MAN - Horner

This is exactly my kind of score. Lots of soft and gorgeous music. Multiple themes. It's a pity they keep making me think of other scores. I don't have a problem with Horner's recycling, but the frequency with which it happens on this album, and the breadth of scores it borrows from are distracting to me. I hear a familiar theme or orchestration and immediately begin trying to identify where I heard it first. Still, this is gorgeous stuff, and maybe after I familiarize myself with this one better I'll start associating those themes with this score as well and that won't be a problem anymore.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015
    Listening to a giant Horner playlist, about three and a half hours long.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Deadly Blessing - James Horner

Can't remember the last - it may have been the only - time I listened to this. Considering the film's subject, the main theme is just gorgeous.
  11. Wolf Totem Horner

I'm travelling on a boat in the middle of the Pacific and this is perfect, amazing accompaniment. The final track is playing at the moment and moving me beyond words...
  12. I've been listening to a lot of Horner since I heard the terrible news a couple of days ago. This morning I listened to 'Land before time' and 'clear and present' danger, both very different and wonderful. As soon as I get home I'll be watching the newly restored Apollo 13 blu ray which arrived shortly before I left. One of my favourite films which Horner adds to immeasurably, the launch sequence, the dark side of the moon sequence, the finale and end credits... Film composing and just composing in general at its absolute finest and heartbreaking. We will always have his music.
  13. Steven wrote
    Jurassic World Giacchino

It's suddenly 'clicked' with me...I'll never get used to that effect. It's slightly infuriating, really. Anyway. I'm really enjoying this.

This has clicked with me now too, initially I wasn't digging the action material and the integration of Williams material but now I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    I've been listening to a lot of Horner since I heard the terrible news a couple of days ago. This morning I listened to 'Land before time' and 'clear and present' danger, both very different and wonderful. As soon as I get home I'll be watching the newly restored Apollo 13 blu ray which arrived shortly before I left. One of my favourite films which Horner adds to immeasurably, the launch sequence, the dark side of the moon sequence, the finale and end credits... Film composing and just composing in general at its absolute finest and heartbreaking. We will always have his music.

When it comes to Horner I usually (well, prior to his death) binge on his music maybe every two months or so. The most recent time happened to coincide with his death, so the news obviously hit me even harder. Only days before, a mate of mine, who grew up with me and began an interest in film music at the same time, were chatting about James Horner and how much he had made a mark on our childhood and musical talents, and beyond. Next day, he was dead.

You are right though, his music will live forever. He was the composer who first got me interested in film scores. And, he did it better than most.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

This really is very fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's the best. It's one that I can never bring myself to listen to in compilation form, it needs to be heard as a whole.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015
    The Perfect Storm - James Horner

It's one of those early '00s Horner albums that stretched on forever and had really long cues so I dodged it. I regret that now because there's some really great music here. The action music in particular is wonderfully aggressive and reminds me of his '80s work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2015
    It's the action/adventurous cues that I love in this score. The swirling, undulating strings are so brilliantly effective! Awesome scoring. Just awesome!
  14. Captain Future wrote
    A masterpiece IMO. "All is Lost" and "A Dark Cloud is Forever Lifted" are among my favourite cues by Horner.

Volker

Yeah, some of the best "tragic writing" he's done since Braveheart.
  15. Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

This is the No. 1 most underrated score Horner has ever witten. The first track "The River - Crossing to Stalingrad" belongs on any Horner best-of playlist. I like it almost more than his other 2001 score A Beautiful Mind, my No.1 favorite from Horner.