• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017 edited
    It's about as good a score can be without being great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017
    Die Hard 2 Michael Kamen

My kinda score. Kamen's Die Hard scores are masterclasses of intelligent action/thriller scoring. Sweeping melodies are easy, but this is the sort of music I'd love to be able to write.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017 edited
    NP: IMAGES (John Williams)

This is about as avantgarde and wildly atonal as I go. Thankfully, there is some beautiful material that works as contrast now and then (reflecting the duality in Catherine -- Susannah York's schizophrenic character). I adore the film, including how the score works in it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2017
    Twister Mark Mancina

Don't really see what the fuss is about, but it is enjoyable in a plinky-plonky kind of way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2017
    One of my favourites. It's great! But the new album is shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Is it? That's what I was listening to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: IMAGES (John Williams)

This is about as avantgarde and wildly atonal as I go. Thankfully, there is some beautiful material that works as contrast now and then (reflecting the duality in Catherine -- Susannah York's schizophrenic character). I adore the film, including how the score works in it.

Brilliant score but one I rarely listen to.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Die Hard 2 Michael Kamen

My kinda score. Kamen's Die Hard scores are masterclasses of intelligent action/thriller scoring. Sweeping melodies are easy, but this is the sort of music I'd love to be able to write.

Sweeping catchy, stick in your head melodies seem to be very lacking these days.

Can anyone remember John Williams quote about simple themes being the hardest thing to come up with.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

Why? I love the new album especially the cue "Walk In The Woods." I've been waiting to hear that cue on disc since 1995.

Sure, the original album was wonderfully produced but I love the expanded treatment as well. Great score! Arguably the best thing Mancina has ever written!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Can anyone remember John Williams quote about simple themes being the hardest thing to come up with.

Yes, he was talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes, he was talking about Raiders of the Lost Ark.

-Erik-

Also, I believe he mentioned it while talking about the Pops repertoire and, specifically, Leroy Anderson. Can't find the interview, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2017 edited
    Steven wrote

Oh damn, that's what I was afraid of. The original album was great, with tracks flowing into each other, and I was hoping the expanded treatment would remain that same flow, but was fearing the first, coming from La La Land. Oh well, since I was never able to get that original score album I'll probably buy this version anyway.
  1. Steven wrote

Really? Why?
  2. NP: Passengers (2016) - Thomas Newman

As has been said by many before this is a quintessential Newman score. As such it's a pleasant listening experience all around. At the same time it's without genre sensibilities. That mustn't be a bad thing since it means at the same time that is isn't stereotype music. Still this album feels more like a semi symphonic concept album than a film score.
    The CD seems to be somewhat hard to get here in Germany. It took amazon.de a few days longer to deliver than usual and it is now out of stock altogether. Amazon.com in the States is distributing this as a CDR on demand. Amazon.de does not state anything to that extend nor does the product itself. So I assume, that what I got is a regular pressed CD. But I'm not sure.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I checked out a couple new scores today:

UN SAC DE BILLES - Armand Amar

This was pleasant. Not bad. Not great.

THE FOUNDER - Carter Burwell

This was present, but not much else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Onna Joshu Naotora Yoko Kanno

This sort of Japanese, Hisaishi-like music is very pretty, very impressive and makes for a very charming album, but it doesn't put me in the middle of the action. More of a wonderful symphony than an intriguing score. It's unlikely something I'll return to very often. But... don't get me wrong. This is very good.

I know what you mean. I'd go further and say it's like a series of little excerpts from different, unrelated concert works. At its best it's very good indeed but it's not a great complete listening experience, really.
  4. I just got Testament of Youth by Max Richter. This is my first score by Richter. It's very pleasant (and relaxing) to listen to, but not terribly memorable in terms of themes or anything. It also feels rather short, and like the end of the album is a very abrupt end. I thought the film itself was fabulously done and the music works so well in the film. I think I thought the score would be a little more of a stand-out on its own than it is. Anyone else heard much from Max Richter?
  5. I've been listening a lot to my own persona edited and arranged copy of the "Back to the Future" score.

There are a handful of people at the score boards who claim scores like these are just notalgia. For me it's about the score, not the nostalgic feeling. Almost every time I listen to it I find something new in the music.

Thank goodness for that 2CD set from Intrada with that alternate original score, it really helped smooth out my presentation. Otherwise it would have been a rough patch work.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2017
    Filmscoregirl wrote
    I just got Testament of Youth by Max Richter. This is my first score by Richter. It's very pleasant (and relaxing) to listen to, but not terribly memorable in terms of themes or anything. It also feels rather short, and like the end of the album is a very abrupt end. I thought the film itself was fabulously done and the music works so well in the film. I think I thought the score would be a little more of a stand-out on its own than it is. Anyone else heard much from Max Richter?

Yes, he's one of my favourite composers of his generation, and is already quite influential.

I have DISCONNECT, TESTAMENT OF YOUTH, VIVALDI RECOMPOSED and THE LEFTOVERS. While the first three are all good, it's THE LEFTOVERS which is truly brilliant. Gorgeous religioso music in a post-minimalist style. What's not to like?

I'm also somewhat familiar with some of his concert albums and sampled a few more score albums (which I do not yet own).
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Richter is a highly competent composer. I like to listen to him from time to time. Generally (post-) minimalist music is not my preferred style although there are some links between minimalist symphonic and sequenced electronic music.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2017 edited
    Oh yes, I love Max Richter. Especially his classical works like THE BLUE NOTEBOOKS, which originated his best known On The Nature of Daylight, or (FROM) SLEEP. His scores are very good as well, but do not necessarily give Richter the opportunity to create albums that flow as well as his classical albums (which is understandable, since he doesn't have any boundaries in his own work, as he has when working for others). For example, THE LEFTOVERS has wonderful themes and flashes of brilliance, but the album presentation is lacking since his music asks for long stretches instead of a bunch of short tracks.

Johann Johansson is in his work close related, by the way, just listen to his albums ORPHÉE or FORDLÂNDIA. I find it such a disappointment (and lazy) that none of the reviewers of his work like ARRIVAL seem to be making themselves acquainted with this side of his work, instead shouting that Johansson can't do anything but soundscapes (that's also why I was surprised Villeneuve went with Richter's Daylight in ARRIVAL since Johansson is more than capable of writing such a piece himself - I guess Villeneuve just really liked Max's piece and has it in mind from the early stages?)
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Why? I love the new album especially the cue "Walk In The Woods." I've been waiting to hear that cue on disc since 1995.

Sure, the original album was wonderfully produced but I love the expanded treatment as well. Great score! Arguably the best thing Mancina has ever written!

-Erik-

"Walk in the Woods" alone makes this new album a necessity. I'm so thrilled I finally can hear it away from the film punk Wonderful score, in a time when Mancina did only wonderful things.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. BobdH wrote
    Oh yes, I love Max Richter. Especially his classical works like THE BLUE NOTEBOOKS, which originated his best known On The Nature of Daylight, or (FROM) SLEEP. His scores are very good as well, but do not necessarily give Richter the opportunity to create albums that flow as well as his classical albums (which is understandable, since he doesn't have any boundaries in his own work, as he has when working for others). For example, THE LEFTOVERS has wonderful themes and flashes of brilliance, but the album presentation is lacking since his music asks for long stretches instead of a bunch of short tracks.

Johann Johansson is in his work close related, by the way, just listen to his albums ORPHÉE or FORDLÂNDIA. I find it such a disappointment (and lazy) that none of the reviewers of his work like ARRIVAL seem to be making themselves acquainted with this side of his work, instead shouting that Johansson can't do anything but soundscapes (that's also why I was surprised Villeneuve went with Richter's Daylight in ARRIVAL since Johansson is more than capable of writing such a piece himself - I guess Villeneuve just really liked Max's piece and has it in mind from the early stages?)

About Jóhannsson, yeah, I have heard some of his non-film work, though I can't say I know it very well (having heard Forlandia and L'Orphee once does NOT count as knowing them well wink ), but I did like them and intend to make a return.

That's very possible about the Richter piece in Arrival. It was picked early in the day and Jóhannsson knew it would be used before even starting to write his own score. Probably the difference in sound was also something that was very much intended.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. That said:

Max Richter - Morgan

Not good at all. From very obnoxious and senseless electronic action music to a piano James-Horner-wannabe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2017
    PawelStroinski wrote
    That said:

Max Richter - Morgan

Not good at all. From very obnoxious and senseless electronic action music to a piano James-Horner-wannabe.

I kinda like it, as I do the movie. Both have their flaws, but the positive outweighs the negative.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. The action music is some of the worst electronica I've heard. I'm saying that as a huge fan of Richter's usually. Including some of his classical work.
  11. Mark Korven - The Witch

THIS score, however, is very interesting. Rather than downright scary, it's very atmospheric and subtly dissonant. I think it makes use of older instruments (it does take place in the 17th or 18th century, if I remember correctly). Very creepy, quite creative with that creepiness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2017 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Korven - The Witch

THIS score, however, is very interesting. Rather than downright scary, it's very atmospheric and subtly dissonant. I think it makes use of older instruments (it does take place in the 17th or 18th century, if I remember correctly). Very creepy, quite creative with that creepiness.

Ah yes, The Witch is definitely among the most interesting - and unsettling - horror scores in years. I also highly recommend the film - have you seen it?
  12. No, as I don't really watch horror films.
  13. Me neither.