• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2012
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I'd agree that he's/was the most versatile film composer, he was arguably the greatest film composer of them all.

I agree Tim. Taken as a whole I would argue Goldsmith as the greatest film composer.

Oh for f*ck's sake, your opinion insults me you know? how dare you? I Am sick of people attacking my favorite composer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Yeah! Let's wage war on all the haters of our favourite Kelvin Wheelbarrow! We'll stop being nice! We failed as a knight!

Anyway, yeah, Goldsmith was the most versatile composer of them all for sure. I love his devilish intelligence and not just because he scored The Omen so well!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but how does he imply Goldsmith's the best composer ever when clearly he isn't? It's an insult to the one who really is.
  2. Well, back on topic... I know there were Jaws and Star Wars in the 1970s, but to me Goldsmith at that period of time was unbeatable. Chinatown, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Omen. Creativity at its finest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, back on topic... I know there were Jaws and Star Wars in the 1970s, but to me Goldsmith at that period of time was unbeatable. Chinatown, Patton, Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Omen. Creativity at its finest.

Jaws and Star Wars weren't the only scores Williams composed in the 70's. The Reviers, Images, The Cowboys, The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing, Family Plot, Black Sunday, The Fury, Close Encounters, Dracula. etc. All equally creative and diversive.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    COMA was an amazing 70's film score too, it's not one I personally enjoy but it's perfect in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Black Sunday is an amazing thriller score. One of my all-time favourites in the genre smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Even though Horner and Williams have both given me scores that continue to move me after countless listens and I love them both over Jerry for that, I have to say Jerry is the one I keep coming back to, I keep putting on his music the most often, and he continues to be the one that makes me smile big for all the wonderfully zany and inspired moments he has given me in many of his 80s and 90s output. His big adventure scores, his comedy scores, the countless brilliant themes. He was and still is the man and I will love his music forever. smile

That about nails my thoughts to the letter! Jerry's the man! punk beer

Though Mr. Williams sits along side him shoulder to shoulder. But then, Jerry........
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Williams, Goldsmith and Horner are nothing short of heroes to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Indeed Steven. They are the trinity of score Gods!
  4. Atham wrote
    Indeed Steven. They are the trinity of score Gods!

So...

Jerry = Zeus
    Williams = Hermes
    Horner = a god that uses traits from all other gods (four note danger motif)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. for me Jerry's brilliance is more spelled out by the movies he scored the music for.

John Williams had iconic characters to work with (Superman, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Star Wars) and legendary directors to work for, but I always felt that Jerry Goldsmith received the lesser of Williams (Supergirl, King Solomon's Mines, Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend). Though Goldsmith had a wonderful collaboration with directors like Schaffner, Verhoeven and Dante, somehow Goldsmith was able to put so much into films that rarely deserved it. And while every movie of Spielberg was / is iconic, Goldsmtih didn't have that luxury the last 20 years. And what Goldsmith did on those weaker pictures shows that he could deliver outstanding music no matter the quality of the source.

I know Williams worked on weaker pictures too, but somehow it always felt that Goldsmith worked on lesser quality productions, and got away with them because he could make em feel like the best things on earth. While mostly for Williams, he was already working on the best things on earth.

It's unfair because these 2 composers are what keeps filmmusic so magical, but for me Goldsmith always surprised me more than Williams, simply because I never expected that specific score to be so amazing. While I knew Williams' scores to be amazing simply because of the source it was supporting
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    JG was good, no doubt, but somewhat overrated in film music forums, IMO (perhaps in an effort to over-compensate for his lack of public exposure compared to other composers).

As far as soundtracks are concerned, I still have lots of his CD's (only have more of Williams, Elfman & Goldenthal), but my interest in him has waned somewhat over the last few years.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. As I said, I love him for his intelligence. He always had those great ideas that got the story in its entirety and quite deeply.
  7. Thor wrote
    JG was good, no doubt, but somewhat overrated in film music forums, IMO (perhaps in an effort to over-compensate for his lack of public exposure compared to other composers).

As far as soundtracks are concerned, I still have lots of his CD's (only have more of Williams, Elfman & Goldenthal), but my interest in him has waned somewhat over the last few years.

JG was not good, he was a mastermind today's composer's could only dream off
    and that's not overrated, that's knowing what's art wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012 edited
    What exactly was Goldsmith's genius? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm genuinely curious. You all keep talking about his intelligence and brilliance. To what are you referring? Is it just that he gave mediocre (or worse) films good scores? Or is there something about his music that makes it more "intelligent?" I've heard that some of his action music is in 5/4 time. That's pretty brilliant if it's true. Is there more? Did he score films at his dinner table without a piano (Delerue and Morricone could/can do that)? Is there something else?

I agree with Thor. I think that he's held up as the paragon of film composers (on one message board in particular), but his music has never done as much for me. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 favorite film composers. Now, there are some of his 90s themes that are absolutely gorgeous - some of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I love those. I find myself enjoying the rest of his music less than the average film music fan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    What exactly was Goldsmith's genius? I'm not trying to start a fight here, I'm genuinely curious. You all keep talking about his intelligence and brilliance. To what are you referring? Is it just that he gave mediocre (or worse) films good scores? Or is there something about his music that makes it more "intelligent?" I've heard that some of his action music is in 5/4 time. That's pretty brilliant if it's true. Is there more? Did he score films at his dinner table without a piano (Delerue and Morricone could/can do that)? Is there something else?

I agree with Thor. I think that he's held up as the paragon of film composers (on one message board in particular), but his music has never done as much for me. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 favorite film composers. Now, there are some of his 90s themes that are absolutely gorgeous - some of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I love those. I find myself enjoying the rest of his music less than the average film music fan.

I think there are several reasons for why he holds such a strong position among fans and also in the industry at large -- not only the 'lack of proper public recognition' thing (that accounts for the euforic rhetorics more than anything), but also because he was associated with so many fan or niche genres with devoted followers (especially in the sci fi genre).

Don't get me wrong....I still count him among the greatest composers that Hollywood spawned, and when he was good, he was really good. Especially when he went into the fabric of a film (PATTON, PLANET OF THE APES, ALIEN); not because he was particularly intellectual in application, -- he could rarely talk about the craft and the decisions that went into the artistic creation -- but because an intelligent approach almost streamed naturally and biologically from the craft and instinct alone.

I just feel that the euforia surrounding his work and his person in fan circles sometimes need to be grounded a bit; to get some nuance and perspective. Case in point: If I had written this piece -- which I consider a rather mild criticism -- at FSM, I would most likely receive personal insults in return, as if the fans were personally insulted by people who don't automatically laud every thing he ever laid his hands on. I think that's what aggravates me the most with the whole Goldsmith thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Jerry understood on most productions EXACTLY what the movie needed, by the way of a theme or a certain sound. He could insert little touches of genius, and use sound effects so creatively without becoming cliched or feeling out of place, well most of the time if I think about Legend.

And he could turn a movie (good or bad) into something even better by using his undeniable talent for great melodies and rhythm. That's what I love most about him really, his sense of rhythm, using the percussion in interesting ways, or just to slam dunk his impression into your ears. punk

He is a legend in my book.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I just feel that the euforia surrounding his work and his person in fan circles sometimes need to be grounded a bit; to get some nuance and perspective. Case in point: If I had written this piece -- which I consider a rather mild criticism -- at FSM, I would most likely receive personal insults in return, as if the fans were personally insulted by people who don't automatically laud every thing he ever laid his hands on. I think that's what aggravates me the most with the whole Goldsmith thing.

You do know that those people only represent a small minority of Goldsmith fans and film music fans in general. They hide behind there computers, troll message boards, and attempt to make life miserable for others.

Anyway, Williams fans, Tyler fans, Delerue fans, Rozsa fans, etc are just as fanatical!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Another way to express his genius:

I think it was the long multi part interview (uploaded to Youtube) where he decribes his work on some of those live TV shows, playhouse like shows, where he had to make changes to the music right there, on the spot -- as people are watching on TV, as a commercial rolls. You got to be fast, and you got to be versed. And quick edits. Not every composer can pull that off. Not a lot of composer names repeated over these kinds of shows. He scored a lot of one of them as a result.

Reminds me of a week ago reading at FSM that Shirley Walker could site read an entire orchestra staff and play it on a piano (sorry if Iget the description wrong), which blew away other composers. That's genius.

Or that multi part interview on people who knew, for the most part, Georges Delerue (I think I posted that in the Delerue thread). I believe it was the Richard Kraft interview where he would describe being at Georges' house and Georges would sit down and start a cue, like "Main Title" and a few minutes later Kraft would hear, "Finnis" and he's go over there and the cue was done and orchestrated.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

You do know that those people only represent a small minority of Goldsmith fans and film music fans in general. They hide behind there computers, troll message boards, and attempt to make life miserable for others.

Anyway, Williams fans, Tyler fans, Delerue fans, Rozsa fans, etc are just as fanatical!

-Erik-

People over fsm are complete lunatics, not in touch with reality most of the times. Very few exceptions. Avoid at all costs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

It's true that you find fringe fanatics for most composers, but I still maintain that Goldsmith fans are somewhat a breed of their own, especially as far as the 'group mentality' is concerned. FSM may be the worst/best/most clear example, but it's really evident in other film music forums too. The 'trigger-happiness' is somehow more prevalent with a larger group of people than I've seen with any other composer.

I don't know, it's just something that I've observed online over the years.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Goldsmith fans are bad but please, they're not worst than Zimmer fanatics, in my experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    It's true that you find fringe fanatics for most composers, but I still maintain that Goldsmith fans are somewhat a breed of their own, especially as far as the 'group mentality' is concerned.

You do visit JWfan regularly don't you? They're just as insane!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    People over fsm are complete lunatics, not in touch with reality most of the times. Very few exceptions. Avoid at all costs.

FSM is fine. They're crazy people on every single message board... even MT.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    It's true that you find fringe fanatics for most composers, but I still maintain that Goldsmith fans are somewhat a breed of their own, especially as far as the 'group mentality' is concerned.

You do visit JWfan regularly don't you? They're just as insane!

-Erik-

Yeah, but for other reasons (I don't really get the 'tone' of that place). There's plenty of Williams criticism to go around over there. Besides, it's a dedicated fan board for that composer. I'm talking about a more widespread phenomenon in more general film music forums.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Yes we've had our share of nutters here over the years.

And D has it completely the wrong way around, there are a few exceptions at FSM who are "lunatics" but the majority are thoroughly decent people.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
  10. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote

-Erik-

Yes we've had our share of nutters here over the years.

In fact, you might say some of 'em are still around.

"I see crazy people. They're everywhere. And they don't even know they're crazy."
  11. christopher wrote

you know, finding a theme is already pretty difficult for a movie, finding a right theme that works as an action theme and as a love theme even more. For me, his brilliance was that he always relied on a theme, and wrote the music around it, mostly with various other themes, motifs or interesting melodies. Today you don't hear themes anymore, but music that supports the action. It's pretty brilliant to unleash music that supports the movie with themes and motifs as cornerstone

I know, most composers back then did, so they're equally brilliant as Goldsmith. But me, he was just doing it again and again, in movies that demanded total diversity and thereby understanding.

If you compare that with the scores we receive today, you realize the composers of yesterday were brilliant.