• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    But I *like* Banning Back Home. *And* When You're Alone. sad
    What happened that you became so cold and cynical, Michael? What irreparable damage was done to your soul? What part of your childhood dreams was so cruelly crushed? sad

Confession time.
    I was 16 when I first heard the album of HOOK, and I hated those tracks then. (For me to have held a consistent view that long is extraordinary!)
    I was 11 when I saw the film, and I didn't like it much, although 'You are the pan' moved me.
    And when I was even younger... I never liked ET. Just found it so sentimental, it was ick for me. (And this is coming from a kid under 10!) (Having said that, the score is great, and I like it to this day.)
    Sorry - I'm just a bit different.

In general though, if Williams goes to write a song where the lyrics are not purely sonorous or ancient language (Duel of the Fates, Munich)... it's going to get ugly. Icky icky sweet. God, Kubrick would have died if he'd heard 'For Always'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    franz_conrad wrote
    The songs were the greater offense for me.
    But 'Banning Back Home'... I don't know, there's no logic that connects that piece musically to the rest of the album. On a Dave Grusin album, it would sound right at home, I agree. (Or on SABRINA, or somesuch.)

Right... here it is. The reason it would sound right at home on a Dave Grusin album is because it WAS on a Dave Grusin album, in 1980:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=856AKiIcrSU

Another one of those "If James Horner did this, there'd be no end to it" stories. But it's not James Horner, so nobody gives a shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    Southall wrote
    Another one of those "If James Horner did this, there'd be no end to it" stories. But it's not James Horner, so nobody gives a shit.

Not so much nobody gave a shit it's that no one knew about it! It just as bad as Williams stealing that one theme in The Terminal note for note from Zimmer's As Good As It Gets. Fucking shameless!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Thor wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    You honestly think Hook is too long on the regular album? With such a vast thematic foundation and glorious melodic structure, basically one interesting bit after another? shocked

How do you guys feel about Indiana Jones 4 ?

The film or the score? I kinda like both, and think the film is underrated, warts and all.

As for HOOK, there are some of the rambunctious action material towards the end of the Epic album that grates a bit (like "The Ultimate War" and all that). Could have been made more 'economical' and effective.

Both film and score (Indy 4) are absolutely time-wasters for me. I find nothing of value in it. The score album is 40 minutes too long.

And The Ultimate War is the thing I love most, it's Williams swashbuckling at his best. To have it greatly expanded upon soon is a gift from the gods (the Lalaland people). punk

I think it's safe to say there's not one track on Hook that grates, or feels should've been left out, I love it all or else I wouldn't be defending it every chance I get, as I do the film.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    What do you think of Alfred Newman's The Robe?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

Not so much nobody gave a shit it's that no one knew about it! It just as bad as Williams stealing that one theme in The Terminal note for note from Zimmer's As Good As It Gets. Fucking shameless!

-Erik-

If I remember correctly, Williams has himself said in an interview that he modelled it on Grusin. That track may very well be it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Shameless... uhm

Crikey.
  3. Listening to this very insightful broadcast featuring the Lalaland guys, the upcoming release of the year, and some wonderful music to be heard.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listening to this very insightful broadcast featuring the Lalaland guys, the upcoming release of the year, and some wonderful music to be heard.

The upcoming release of the year? They finally announced Star Trek: The Motion Picture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2012
    Oh, wait, they could have been talking about The Robe? I forgot that one had already been announced.
  4. OH YES BABY!!!!

Guess what has finally appeared on Lalaland's homepage.

Should I add I'm am ordering this NOW???

Well it's unnecessary information, but what the hell...

IT'S SO BLOODY WELL ORDERED !!!!

bounce

Look at me going slightly bananas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    ORDERED!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2012
    I assume you're talking about HOOK?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    OH YES BABY!!!!

Guess what has finally appeared on Lalaland's homepage.

Should I add I'm am ordering this NOW???

Well it's unnecessary information, but what the hell...

IT'S SO BLOODY WELL ORDERED !!!!

bounce

Look at me going slightly bananas.

I'm very happy for you Gilles cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Me too - happy for Gilles. I'll stick with what I am listening to - The Empire Strikes Back and "The Battle of Hoth".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Hehe, happy the last golden grail is finally in his possession, almost that is wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    Anyone can help me identify what exactly is missing from 'The Ultimate War'. I'm reading about a certain fanfare that is missing, but I will have to compare with the film because I can't remember it.

Also is the shortened 'The Ultimate War' cue from the 1991 Epic album, as it appears in the film, so a better one than what appears on the LLL album?

I'm making the most complete and chronologically possible Hook, so if I want I can use the track from the original album and add parts 2 and 3 to it. I'm also going to do my best to normalize the volume where I can in those parts.

As for the various inserts that are missing from the LLL-album (notably the food insert in 'The Never-Feast'), I'm going to try and use the blu-ray audio to get the cleanest possible sound and hope I can eliminate most sound effects and edit that into the cues.

shocked

rolleyes

Yes, I am THAT obsessed with this score. beer punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anyone can help me identify what exactly is missing from 'The Ultimate War'. I'm reading about a certain fanfare that is missing, but I will have to compare with the film because I can't remember it.

It's not in the film hence why it's not on the expanded edition because La La Land used film stems for "The Ultimate War" portions for the album. The "victory fanfare" comes directly after Hook is crushed by the croc. On the La La Land edition "Sword Fight" ends abruptly with added reverb to make it sound like the piece is over however Williams intended the piece to continue. The original endign for "Sword Fight" (aka The End of Hook) is 1 minute into the new "Farewell Neverland" track on the La La Land release.

DreamTheater wrote
    Also is the shortened 'The Ultimate War' cue from the 1991 Epic album, as it appears in the film, so a better one than what appears on the LLL album?

Again, film stems were used for the La La Land release which includes bizarre edits and loops while the ost version is clean.

DreamTheater wrote
    I'm making the most complete and chronologically possible Hook, so if I want I can use the track from the original album and add parts 2 and 3 to it. I'm also going to do my best to normalize the volume where I can in those parts.

Normalizing won't help. You will have to go in an increase the volume of the dips manually to match the volume of the rest of the track.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. That's what I meant, to do it manually, so the volume level normalizes better overall.

I'll take the original 'The Ultimate War' then, only problem is I've sold the album long ago. I'll have to look for a lossless track.

I'll have to do some comparing with the film to make it as complete as possible.

I've done this years ago with the bootleg cues too, so for me this is the ultimate kind of fun, to make it better than what the LLL guys did with it. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    Wow! It'll be a hell of a job but most rewarding by the end I'm sure! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    Listening to this very insightful broadcast featuring the Lalaland guys, the upcoming release of the year, and some wonderful music to be heard.

Thanks for sharing this! I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've sent it to my girlfriend (Hook is her favorite film). Very insightful.

I also loved the hint of more Kamen (one of my favorites) works in the future. Their intro of Robin Hood was brilliant. I really hope they release an expanded release of this one. I just might die and go to heaven. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited
    Thank you to Francis for bringing this to my attention beer

INDIANA JONES THEME ( Vocal Cover )

Very well done I must say. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Timmer wrote

I can dig it, in a cheesy level kind of way cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012 edited
    It's very cheesy but also very well done.

Oh, and just so it doesn't scare anyone off, it's an acapella version of the theme, there's no lyrics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    I just had a (morbid) thought...
    If I ever log on and unexpectedly see dozens of new posts in this thread (I log on at least twice a day, usually more often), I'm probably going to start crying before I even open the thread...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Turned it off about 20 second in. Couldn't stand looking at that dude's goofy face any more. suicide

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Turned it off about 20 second in. Couldn't stand looking at that dude's goofy face any more. suicide

-Erik-

I completely understand that Erik biggrin
  9. Ha... love it! The guy can sing, and do an exact imitation of the theme as well instrument-wise, the editing on this clip must've been a lot of work. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    It's very impressive. I like his take on Star Wars too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2012
    Crap
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.