• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    It doesn't premiere in Norway untill some time next year!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Here's a fun little video of some of the Star Wars music set to electric cello(s). Steven Sharp Nelson is an incredible cellist and has built an electric cello (several of them, acutally) with a fifth (higher) string. This is fun!

Perhaps the rest of this belongs on the non-film-music now playing thread, but since I'm already here...

If you want a fuller demonstration of what his electric cello can do check out his arrangement (derangement?) of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata Mvt. 1. Seriously cool!

My favorite thing of his, though, is his 8 cello version of Bach's Unaccompanied Cello Suite. I've never seen anyone use the cello as a percussive instrument the way this guy does.

And here's a cool arrangement of a couple Michael Jackson songs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011
    John Williams to Bach to Beethoven to Michael Jackson. Only on MT smile
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2011 edited
    christopher wrote
    Here's a fun little video of some of the Star Wars music set to electric cello(s). Steven Sharp Nelson is an incredible cellist and has built an electric cello (several of them, acutally) with a fifth (higher) string. This is fun!

Cool stuff! Not a bad video to boot. And Darth on the accordeon... lol
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInONJXV1g0

From A.I.'s Bluray/DVD special features.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012
    Check out this audio rip I did of the opening 4 minutes to the 1966 western THE PLAINSMAN:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/plainsman.mp3
    I am extremely serious.
  3. yonythemoony wrote
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pInONJXV1g0

From A.I.'s Bluray/DVD special features.

Always a pleasure to see the master talk about such a wonderful score for a superb film. Like with so many other films he has done the music becomes such an integral part, the film is improved immeasurably by it. And in the case of A.I. the score is more than a musical background, it's the heart and soul of the story.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Exactly.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would definitely buy an expanded A.I.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. There's the FYC promo and a complete score on the web.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know but I want it on a commercially available CD complete with extensive notes, I'm greedy! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. We all do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012 edited
    I think the soundtrack is fine as it is (surprise!), but it's really a masterpiece of a movie (my third favourite Spielberg film) and a marvelous score as well. I just hope both get the respect they deserve in a few years time.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    I think the soundtrack is fine as it is (surprise!), but it's really a masterpiece of a movie (my third favourite Spielberg film) and a marvelous score as well. I just hope both get the respect they deserve in a few years time.

I think it has.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    yonythemoony wrote
    Thor wrote

I think it has.

Yeah, it's starting to, at the very least.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. A.I.'s score has improved for me from 2001 when it was just okay this is not bad, to actually feeling very emotional about most of the cues. I also like the album as it is, don't exactly need it expanded.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2012
    DreamTheater wrote
    A.I.'s score has improved for me from 2001 when it was just okay this is not bad, to actually feeling very emotional about most of the cues. I also like the album as it is, don't exactly need it expanded.

Like you don't need HOOK expanded, right?
  9. The rich musical journey of AI would be slightly better served by making 'For always' with josh groban (and possibly even the other one) some kind of iTunes only bonus, and replacing those tracks with another excellent 8 minutes of Williams' thematically rich score (the thematic structure of which is under-served on album).
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  10. Timmer wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    A.I.'s score has improved for me from 2001 when it was just okay this is not bad, to actually feeling very emotional about most of the cues. I also like the album as it is, don't exactly need it expanded.

Like you don't need HOOK expanded, right?

Oh but I do! There's so much left unreleased that I want released. Hook for me is a complete masterpiece, from the first note to the last. A.I. has moments in the score I can do without, so the album is enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2012
    SoundWorks Collection: The Sound and Music of War Horse

http://soundworkscollection.com/warhorse
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. My (slightly belated) review of WAR HORSE, if anyone's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2012/01/11/war-h … -williams/
  12. Thanks for posting it, Jon. I'm ALWAYS interested in your film music opinions.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012
    I read a review of the film in todays Daily Mirror where the reviewer mentions the 'rousing score by John Barry' face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    It just dawned on me while listening to the end of War Horse how very, deeply, purely Copland the whole thing feels....which is certainly not a bad thing smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited
    Went to a concert featuring only Williams' music in Hong Kong. It was great! The conductor was Richard Kaufman, and his conducting was spot on!

http://www.hkpo.com/eng/concerts_and_ti … sp?id=1121

Nice selection of music, for example, music from Hook... that was great! Close Encounters was superb too... that blast of the orchestra in the beginning of Encounters shook the concert hall and gave people (who didn't know the music) a good scare.

E.T. flight was another great performance... however I would have preferred that he would have drawn out the part just after the "I will be right here" part. On the cd it is very emotional just after that part, but during the concert it was played a bit faster, loosing some of its emotional impact.

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Superman: March

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Jurassic Park (with that great sweeping climax! When the T-REX roars after defeating the raptors)

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Memoirs of a Geisha: Sayuri's Theme

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Suite

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Yes, Giorgio: If We Were In Love (didn't know this music, lovely!)

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Star Wars: Main Theme

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Raiders March

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Far and Away: Suite

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Harry Potter: Harry's Wondrous World

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Hook: The Face of Pan (a concert version, beautiful, longer variations of the flute parts)

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Hook: Flight to Neverland (exciting!!!)

JOHN WILLIAMS
    Jaws

JOHN WILLIAMS
    E.T. : Adventures on Earth

Encore:

1941 March

Star Wars reprise

I reserved a good seat (balcony) exactly behind the conductor. All in all it was wonderful!!!
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012
    OMG! That would have to be one of lifes highlights to experience such a concert!
    I went to a similar show last year here in Adelaide (Australia) that had some of the John Williams selections you mentioned. But what you saw looks way more impressive in terms of its lineup! And probably better performed too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012 edited
    It was indeed of my life's highlights. I was smiling all the time when enjoying the concert... do you know what I mean... that kind of "man, this is great" I-love-filmmusic-and-now-I-hear/see-a great orchestra-playing spot on- smile.

The Hong Kong Philharmonic orchestra was pure class... the head conductor is Edo de Waart a heavy weight among conductors, he will be replaced by Jaap van Zweden, another killer conductor. World class standards.

As many of you guys here I can know these scores by heart, and know when its played properly or not... and it was played perfectly, just like the original recordings itself (with some variations in Hook) and to hear and see it for real, right in front of you, right behind / above the conductor (balcony) is just so cool! Very happy that I had the chance to see this.

As you know when Jaws starts, there is a low rumbling noise, before the Jaws theme kicks in... great to see how that noise is made.

The rumbling noise is made by: a harp... played in a kind of muted way.... and a grand piano, the pianist is actually hanging over the keyboard and strokes the piano strings like a harp with both hands! Never knew that a piano can be played like this! That created that ominous (underwater) sound of Jaws. VERY cool.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Wow! Very cool info about the Jaws technique! Impressive!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Talos wrote
    Went to a concert featuring only Williams' music in Hong Kong. It was great! The conductor was Richard Kaufman, and his conducting was spot on!

What a small world! Kaufman was (not sure if he still is) the pops conductor of The Florida Orchestra (which my former horn teacher is a member of), and I saw him do an all-Williams program with them a few years back, as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Williams himself conducted the New York Philharmonic for a one-night event back in October. I was actually there in NYC to see the Phil (which if you have not yet figured out, is my faborite orchestra in the world) and my favorite horn player, just two or three days before the John Williams concert. Shame I missed it! I would have gone back, but 7 hour train rides from Rochester to NYC aren't exactly all that cheap. Maybe in a few years if he returns to the Philharmonic!