• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I don't know, expectations were high after Indy and Star Wars, and he delivered. You're excusing his inability to write like he used to. And no one hand me that "mature" label; it's a mixutre of some things, but laziness is amongst them.

Feel angry enough now? ;-)
    Well, you you should have heard the phone conversation I had with a film producer over Horner.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2011
    Because of course it's easy as anything to write that 2000s Williams action music, or Horner's "Avatar" or compose a score like Troy in 2 weeks time!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. Justin wrote the masterpiece called Symphonette #2, of course he has an idea how easy it is to write something like Zam the Assassin!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. I'm not classically trained with 30+ decades of compositional experience, and taught under masters. What's HIS excuse?

And Horner didn't do "Troy" all by himself.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Names?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It doesn't need to be up there in the ranks with Indy and Star Wars, but I hope it's at least as good as Harry Potter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Names?

Vaughan Williams!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2011
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Names?

Vaughan Williams!

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    Exclusive First Listen of "Adventures of Tintin"!!

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1675/John-Wi … -Filmmusik

Enjoy!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011 edited
    Interesting! Sounds a bit like Harry Potter, without any themes. (Of course, impossible to form any real judgement from short clips.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The first cue is pretty much The Knight Bus music from Azkaban. slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BasilB wrote
    Exclusive First Listen of "Adventures of Tintin"!!

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1675/John-Wi … -Filmmusik

Enjoy!!

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Well I hope themes will be wonderful and be used plenty. I need me some of THAT Williams. It's been too long already.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. 14. The Pursuit of the Falcon 5:43

Something to add to Williams' long list of 'totally mind-blowing action cues'? Here's hoping!!!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The sound clips don't really offer anything new. It sounds rather aimless. I hope the "complete" tracks reveal more themes and something new in Williams' repertoire.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    14. The Pursuit of the Falcon 5:43

Something to add to Williams' long list of 'totally mind-blowing action cues'? Here's hoping!!!

Meh! Racing strings, chirping trumpets, low brass bursts, a few timpani hits... it's all pretty much interchangeable with the majority of action cues Williams has written in the past 5-7 years. It sounds like Crystal Skull left overs.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote
    The sound clips don't really offer anything new. It sounds rather aimless. I hope the "complete" tracks reveal more themes and something new in Williams' repertoire.

-Erik-

Wouldn't you rather have something in the style of the old Williams? I know I do.

And it's aimless because all we hear is these short snippets that don't tell the larger picture. Of course it will hold together on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think so. I found plenty of old-school Williams elements here, in addition to his contemporary stylings.

There's even an (original?) opera cue in there! Wow.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'll leave final judgement until I hear the final album but I hope we don't get something as awful as the "The Jungle Chase" as presented on the commercial album of Crystal Skull. That terrible produced and edited track doesn't do the music Williams composed for that sequence justice!

-Erik-
  7. Well one thing is certain, it already sounds a LOT more interesting than Crystal Skull. I don't think I'll ever be able to get through that album again and stay awake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wouldn't you rather have something in the style of the old Williams? I know I do.

Oh, that would be great because his new, more modern action style rarely does anything for me. The last truly great old school sound action cues Williams wrote were in his last two Potter scores, especially Chamber of Secrets which had a wonderful Temple of Doom vibe to them.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well one thing is certain, it already sounds a LOT more interesting than Crystal Skull. I don't think I'll ever be able to get through that album again and stay awake.

Yeah... a good two thirds of that album is useless! I have a playlist which includes the complete Jungle Chase (including the alternate last 3 minutes or so of the cue which blows away what is heard on the commerical album) and my own personal edit of the end credits (no Marion's Theme) that does me just fine. It's about 47 minutes and that's all I can pretty much handle from that one!

-Erik-
  8. I like Crystal Skull... maybe two thirds of it, anyway. 'The Call of the Crystal' and its many appearances worked for me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Me too. I like most of it. I'd just remove some of the repetition from the album, were I in charge of such things.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    I like Crystal Skull... maybe two thirds of it, anyway. 'The Call of the Crystal' and its many appearances worked for me.

Agree! beer

As for Tin Tin, I'll wait until I hear it properly, I'm not interested in listening to the sound clips.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Oh, that would be great because his new, more modern action style rarely does anything for me. The last truly great old school sound action cues Williams wrote were in his last two Potter scores, especially Chamber of Secrets which had a wonderful Temple of Doom vibe to them.

-Erik-

This hadn't occured to me, but you're right! I've enjoyed some of his stuff since (Minority Report, Revenge Of The Sith) but Crystal Skull sound so flat. These clips sound somewhere inbetween.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    The adventures of Tintin

cd cover and tracklisting
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2011/10/05 … #more-5869
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    At last, a score to get at least mildly excited about!
  9. I'm wondering if he still has it in him to create a truly memorable score to an adventure film again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011 edited
    Even if it's half as good as his last score to a Spielberg film then... well... it won't be very good. Crystal Skull was a bit tame as far as Williams goes.

For once, my expectations for a new Williams score aren't high up in the stratosphere. Though I'm still looking forward to it.