• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Well... there is a way to get this right:

Forget everything bad that happened to cinema during the last twenty-five years.

Pretend you´re still living in a world were movies work wonders with your soul.

Then go and watch this trailer again.

Let´s see what happens.

Erik, I´m totally with you on this one.

25 years ago? Are you suggesting that all our problems started with The Color Purple? (A good case could well be made, if so.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2011 edited
    The Color Purple is pure shit (with a small handful of great scenes and performances) It was made by a still very young and immature film maker. Spielberg wasn't ready for that kind of film yet... however, only a few years later did he grow up and make his first real adult drama... the criminally underrated Empire of the Sun!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Like I said, a good case could well be made. Thanks Ralph and Erik. smile
  3. No.

I´m suggesting to remember the time in your life when you didn´t go to the movies expecting the worst and getting it because you only looked at what was wrong with it instead of just being open-minded and ready to be tranferred into a magical world of pretending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Color Purple is pure shit (with a small handful of great scenes and performances) It was made by a still very young and immature film maker. Spielberg wasn't ready for that kind of film yet... however, only a few years later did he grow up and make his first real adult drama... the criminally underrated Empire of the Sun!

-Erik-

EMPIRE is an excellent film, woefully underrated, as you say. I also belong to those who like THE COLOR PURPLE, although I recognize its shortcomings too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Can you imagine how I felt when I went to the theater and saw Psycho for the first time and I heard all of that music and had no idea what the film was really about? That music burned an everlasting impression in my mind forever.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Can you imagine how I felt when I went to the theater and saw Psycho for the first time and I heard all of that music and had no idea what the film was really about? That music burned an everlasting impression in my mind forever.
    Tom

So the title didn't give it away then Tom? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    No.

I´m suggesting to remember the time in your life when you didn´t go to the movies expecting the worst and getting it because you only looked at what was wrong with it instead of just being open-minded and ready to be tranferred into a magical world of pretending.

Great. I'll go back to a time two weeks ago, when I saw 7 films at the movies in a week, and couldn't say any of them wasn't worth seeing. Two of them were great (TABLOID, TURIN HORSE), and one was a masterpiece (TREE OF LIFE). None were without their flaws, all were worth seeing nonetheless, and often improved on reflection after seeing them, instead of leaving me empty at the time.

Inspired by this, I dived into some sturdy cinema on dvd over the last couple of weeks. Mostly things I'd seen before, but they came alive again. HIROSHIMA MON AMOUR. LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD. ONCE. STALKER.

It's been good. I'm making progress, aren't I, Dr Ralph? I'm seeing the good in life again, aren't I? I promise to spread this message of love and joy to my friends. They need it, Dr Ralph, they really do.

(my god, just in case you take all that seriously too, and I fear you're liable to ... wink )
  5. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

FOUL!! That is the best film I've seen featuring an all or mostly black cast (who knew Oprah could act?). One of his best to this day, I'd say, with Minority Report and Munich.

Anyway, as for War Horse, it sounds cool. I'm generally pretty indifferent to sentimentalism, so I'm not put off by that.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    It looks like sentimental rubbish!

Of course it is... It's Spielberg wink
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  6. Frank Marshall confirmed that Williams's score for the film was used on the trailer.
  7. It's very nice. I liked the music a lot, and am very much looking forward to the film. So Spielberg will have 2 films coming out within a week or two of each other. Interesting how that worked out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    I promise to spread this message of love and joy to my friends.

I never thought I'd see the phrases "progress" and "Last Year In Marienbad" in one sentence.
    Or "love and joy" and "Last Year In Marienbad".
    Or "alive" and "Last Year In Marienbad".

In fact, I'd rather hoped nobody would ever mention "Last Year In Marienbad" ever again.
    GOD, I wish I could go back to the time in my life when I didn´t go to the movies expecting the worst when either the words Marienbad, Year, Last or In were employed. I feel my life has been sucked out of me and I long for the carefree succor of my boyhood dreams.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Tom

So the title didn't give it away then Tom? wink

It really didn't Martijn. The scene that scared the crap out of me was when he attacked and killed the insurance guy Arbogast. I wasn't ready for that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I have the purple vinyl LP's
  8. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    I promise to spread this message of love and joy to my friends.

I never thought I'd see the phrases "progress" and "Last Year In Marienbad" in one sentence.
    Or "love and joy" and "Last Year In Marienbad".
    Or "alive" and "Last Year In Marienbad".

In fact, I'd rather hoped nobody would ever mention "Last Year In Marienbad" ever again.
    GOD, I wish I could go back to the time in my life when I didn´t go to the movies expecting the worst when either the words Marienbad, Year, Last or In were employed. I feel my life has been sucked out of me and I long for the carefree succor of my boyhood dreams.

Despite obviously liking the film a little bit more, I do know what you mean. It's that kind of film. 'My Dinner with Andre' without dinner or Andre. 'The Heart in Winter' without a heart or a winter. 'Batman Begins' without a beginning.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    So, what about Comic Con and all your hype?

At the beginning of the year we were racing toward Comic Con with 6 titles, hoping that at least 3 or 4 would make it in time. As the days grew closer and the problems/delays started to mount up on some of those titles, we started to rethink our approach. Once mid June hit and we realized that only 1 of those titles was actually going to be done, we decided "WHAT THE HELL", unleash the Chosen One early to the world. Four of those titles will not be done in time for the Con.

These four titles were going to be:

Batman Forever Expanded Archival Collection
    Forever Young Expanded Archival Collection
    Space Above and Beyond (3 cd set)
    1941 (2 cd set)

Those titles are still coming -- When? Who knows....but they are in the chute.

That said, we might have one more title come in just in time for Comic Con -- that will be making its debut at the show and then on the website Aug 2. It was produced by Ford A Thaxton and Lukas Kendall and should, hopefully be here shortly.

We'll keep you all posted on that and other Comic Con news shortly.

In the meantime, enjoy The Golden Child.

MV
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Hm.
    I have the expanded 1941 (the bootleg, yeah), and while it's fun, for sheer listening entertainment as well as a very coherent listen, I'll return to the old Varese release any ol' day. A big, bold comedy score unfortunately generally doesn't hold up well as an expanded release (loooooooads of mickey-mousing and incoherence really spoil any listening pleasure).

That said, the boot does feature the effect- and dialogue-less theme.
    I do like Varese's mixed-in explosions (and who doesn't like a good explosion?) in line with the actual end credits, but I could have done without the dialogue.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not sure myself? I haven't seen the film since it's release so I don't know much about any extra music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    All the best stuff is on the Varese edition, IMHO. A fantastic recording!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    yeah

Standouts on the Varese really are the fantastic and utterly hyperactive main march and a fantastic rendition of Swing! Swing! Swing!
    That's pretty much the highlights.

The boot also offered the original Jaws referenced opening scene music, which I like having.
    For the rest...well. See my earlier post. Mostly insanely ADD mickey mousing. Great in small doses, and anchored by an overall idea (like on the Varese release), but I dread a two CD release.

Not that I want to slam LaLaLand!
    I think most of their releases are great, and they might well find a way to make this work.
    But in expectation of the actual announcement of the actual CD and its content, I'm not really at the front of the queue, is all.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think you sum it up well for me too, Martijn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Hm.
    I have the expanded 1941 (the bootleg, yeah), and while it's fun, for sheer listening entertainment as well as a very coherent listen, I'll return to the old Varese release any ol' day. A big, bold comedy score unfortunately generally doesn't hold up well as an expanded release (loooooooads of mickey-mousing and incoherence really spoil any listening pleasure).

That said, the boot does feature the effect- and dialogue-less theme.
    I do like Varese's mixed-in explosions (and who doesn't like a good explosion?) in line with the actual end credits, but I could have done without the dialogue.

What he said.

I don't play the disc very often, as I actually think it tends to grate after a while. And that's just for the Varese release. Imagine how headache-inducing a C&C would feel.

Of course, the score suffers from the same thing the film does - no control, exaggeration and just plain over-the-top noisefest, with people screaming every two seconds. The score doesn't actually make it more subtle.

But the march is fun, a trademark Williams composition of the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011
    The old bootlegs however, especially the 2-disc, are rather badly done - direct from the isolated score. It contains much superfluous source music and contains many edits and much tracked music. The LaLaLand will be a revelation, undoubtedly. I also think the listening experience will be very much improved; I'm not a huge fan of the original album of this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    Inspired by zooba at FSM, I created this mp3 of Williams' zany title theme (out of a youtube video) for the 1966 show THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW that only ran for four episodes:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/Tammy.mp3

Is this the wackiest he has ever been?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Inspired by zooba at FSM, I created this mp3 of Williams' zany title theme (out of a youtube video) for the 1966 show THE TAMMY GRIMES SHOW that only ran for four episodes:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/Tammy.mp3

Is this the wackiest he has ever been?

OW! That's awful! It sounds very much like the typical kind of fluff you'd get in light entertainment US shows of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2011 edited
    Yeah, it's pretty bad. But I like it nonetheless, in all its goofiness! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If you'd asked me without pryor knowledge who wrote that ditty I would go through a ton of names before I got to John Williams.

p.s. I only heard that track once and it's bleedin' well stuck in my head crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...sorry about that.
    I am extremely serious.