• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010 edited
    Hello Thor. Good afternoon.

Have you heard of the NATO? Well, they plan to build a rocket shield for all the dangerous countries out there. So they need my money to protect me. So I can't buy this cd, nor can other members here.

Have you though about that!? Heh!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010
    Thor wrote
    HELLO, THIS IS THE FILM MUSIC NEWS OF THE YEAR!!!!

Not really.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Family Plot! Ordered!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bregt wrote
    Hello Thor. Good afternoon.

Have you heard of the NATO? Well, they plan to build a rocket shield for all the dangerous countries out there. So they need my money to protect me. So I can't buy this cd, nor can other members here.

Have you though about that!? Heh!

Kudos for creative excuses!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really.

Meh....whatever!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    fommes wrote
    Family Plot! Ordered!

THAT's more like it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really.

Meh....whatever!

biggrin I fear with some earnestness that that is exactly the overall response to this release outside of FSM. wink

Well, it's a charming score, but there's little earth shattering about it.
    I think the main reason it got its nigh-mythical status (pretty much on FSM alone, I should add) is because it's never been available before.
    Not because it's so brilliant.

For sure it's no Jaws, Jane Eyre or Dracula.

I'll probably get it at some point, as it is vintage Williams (and it's got a harpsichord! love ) , but no hurry whatsoever.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and buy some more Tadlow Conans.
    Just in case my copy gets damaged. Or my reserve copy gets stolen. Or my back-up copy in a fireproof vault on another location gets exposed to radiation.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

NO IT ISN'T!

But it IS darn good news. cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really.

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote

Not really.

You're both wrong.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hm. Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm.

Mmmm....no.

Great release -if only for -FINALLY- the stereo studio album for King Of Kings, but overall it feels like it's mainly for the Rozsa completist. Aside from the very interesting and excellent Quo Vadis archival material it offers no new insight in his landmark works (all of which in this set I already owned in the exact same output, but as separate, earlier releases).

Nope. Conan takes it.
    Quite easily.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik is WRONG! Martijn is RIGHT!

FACT! wink

Up amongst best release this year is also Horner's STAR TREK III.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Erik is WRONG! Martijn is RIGHT!

FACT! wink

Up amongst best release this year is also Horner's STAR TREK III.

Ooooooooo, now THERE's a contender I didn't reckon with.
    For me it's still gonna be Conan (and I can already tell you that whatever you throw against it will fail. wink ), but the margin suddenly isn't as wide as I previously considered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Actually, RAIN MAN would have been my contender this year, if it hadn't been for the sound quality issue. And FAMILY PLOT would have been the greatest, had it not been for the fact that I'm not too hot on the score itself.

So where does that leave us?

I don't know. Maybe THE TEMPEST will take the cake once it gets out.

Meanwhile, my main discovery this year - and the soundtrack I've played the most times - is Mark Isham's brilliant score for 2004's CRASH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You are a true eclectic, aren't you, Thor? smile

PS, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here:
    Thor wrote
    FAMILY PLOT would have been the greatest, had it not been for the fact that I'm not too hot on the score itself.

confused
    "I would really have liked this one best, if I'd liked it. But I don't." ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    You are a true eclectic, aren't you, Thor? smile

Maybe, but it's more the fact that I'm no longer so hot on rambunctious, swashbuckling, busy orchestral works.

He, he...yeah, curiously enigmatic.

I really meant that it's THE major release this year - unreleased, vintage Williams, long-desired and so on - but beyond the theme, it isn't that exciting to me, personally. Love the release, not so much the score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Hm. Hmmmm. Hmmmmmmmm.

Mmmm....no.

Great release -if only for -FINALLY- the stereo studio album for King Of Kings, but overall it feels like it's mainly for the Rozsa completist. Aside from the very interesting and excellent Quo Vadis archival material it offers no new insight in his landmark works (all of which in this set I already owned in the exact same output, but as separate, earlier releases).

Nope. Conan takes it.
    Quite easily.

rolleyes

Conan isn't even the best recording done by Tadlow/Prometheus this year... that distinction goes to Lawrence of Arabia.

We are also forgetting Spartacus (Varese) and The Blue Max (Intrada)... two releases I'd put ahead of Conan.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Whaddevah! rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...except that....

CONAN THE BARBARIAN

IS the years BEST release!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    fireworks FACT! fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nope. Far from it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

He, he...yeah, curiously enigmatic.

I really meant that it's THE major release this year - unreleased, vintage Williams, long-desired and so on - but beyond the theme, it isn't that exciting to me, personally. Love the release, not so much the score.

Ah, I see.
    Fair enough. That's pretty much how I felt about Spartacus.
    A magnificent release I couldn't give tuppence about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nope.

-Erik-

No, no!
    You meant to say "yep!"
    Yeah, that's it.

You're welcome.
    I love correcting people's opinions to the correct one.
    No need to thank me.
    It's what I do.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I could always help you with your spelling Erik?

We'll start with the word 'Yes' which doesn't begin with an N.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nope. Far from it.

-Erik-

Which is it then?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Take a look above for my correct choices.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Spartacus is the release of the year so far for me, without question. There is one forthcoming release I know about which will run it pretty close though (I think it's also being announced this week some time), and who knows what other surprises are in store.

I've ordered Family Plot - I've had the bootleg for a couple of years but it didn't do a great deal for me - I'm sure a properly-produced album will be much better.

I will order Conan too when money is less of an issue, while I love it, it's never been the favourite for me that it has been for others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Ok, so this appears again to be one of those scores where fanboys are creating a hype over, of which it would be FAN-TAS-TIC if it would finally get a release, so when I saw this I thought HITCHCOCK + WILLIAMS = AWESOME, and it turns out to get a reception like 'meh', 'not one of his best', 'lots of underscore', and my conviction that I had to have this, gets underwhelmed quicker than a flame dies in ice water.

So, bottom line, do I need to order this? The clips sound like a lot of fun, but I've yet to see a reaction from a guy/girl who loves the score beginning to end - so are these the only highlights of the disc? Or is it just one of those scores that has generated a buzz simply because it wasn't available all those years and works best in just a prolonged suite?