• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote
    BRILLIANT

Welcome to 2007, Marselus! smile

shame
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    Don't be embarrased, I hadn't seen it before until your post Marcel. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Hey guys , has anybody here bought the 'Film Music Composers Volume 1 : John Williams' DVD as released by FMC Entertainment ? If so , how is it ? It's pretty steap in price so I wanted to get some feedback first before making the buy . THX ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    There seem to be alot of rumours that Williams is returning to score the last Harry Potter movie. People seem to go nuts on the filmtracks board, so I'm surprised that it hasn't been posted here yet. This article seems to confirm it:

http://www.hollywoodnews.com/2010/09/14 … ws-part-2/

I'm perhaps not the biggest Williams fan in the world, but I've found his Potter scores extraordinary pieces of work. After he dropped out I've had no real interest in the scores in the franchise. Ok, I listened to Doyle's score, but it didn't do much for me. It would certainly be great news for me if he returned, with his themes, and no doubt some new ones.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    plindboe wrote
    There seem to be alot of rumours that Williams is returning to score the last Harry Potter movie. People seem to go nuts on the filmtracks board, so I'm surprised that it hasn't been posted here yet.

BLAM!
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. To give him some credit, I should have posted it here, too, and indeed thought about it. It´s just that for me, the aspect of Desplat being replaced was the bigger news, and posting it twice seemed like fishing for attention, so I left it at that.

That doesn´t mean I don´t want to discuss what Williams might have in store for us; I hope we get PoA style stuff and some themes old and new. I´m pretty sure we´ll get that Wondrous World theme again at the end, and I certainly wouldn´t mind if he paid his beautiful PoA themes a visit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    Well, if it's valid, this is going to be massive news.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the rumour was just discredited.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think that is just a rumour, Thor.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    So rumour has it...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    BLAM!

Ah. No wonder I couldn't find it.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    Eric wrote
    Hey guys , has anybody here bought the 'Film Music Composers Volume 1 : John Williams' DVD as released by FMC Entertainment ? If so , how is it ? It's pretty steap in price so I wanted to get some feedback first before making the buy . THX ... wink

I haven't got it myself so I can't comment on what's on it, but it's a bootleg DVD, so I'd say avoid at all costs to pay for it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    THX for the additional info fommes ... wink
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010
    John Williams confirmed for ‘War Horse’

Film Music Reporter has been able to confirm that John Williams is officially attached to score Steven Spielberg’s War Horse.

http://filmmusicreporter.wordpress.com/ … war-horse/
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Startling news! My money was on J. Peter Robinson.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin First laugh out loud moment of the day.
  2. Deathly Hallows's Press Junket:

- On John Williams not returning for Deathly Hallows - Part 2, director David Yates said that in order for John to have returned, he would've needed to provide John with a rough cut of the film sooner than was possible. Their schedules simply did not align, but he did make it clear both Williams and Yates wanted to work with each other.

http://www.mugglenet.com/app/news/show/3948
  3. ^ Water under the bridge at this point.
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^ Water under the bridge at this point.

About time. And speaking of Williams:

"Right from the very start, when the Warner Bros logo appears, this film feels different. The colours are gray and muted, the sound is a low rumble and even the famous theme from John Williams seems to have given way to a much darker drone. It doesn’t even feel like a Harry Potter movie anymore. It makes the first Chris Columbus movies feel like they are from a whole different universe. And this feeling stayed with me right until the end…"

At least Hedwig's theme is used in the beginning of the movie, before Obliviate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yonythemoony wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    ^ Water under the bridge at this point.

About time. And speaking of Williams:

"Right from the very start, when the Warner Bros logo appears, this film feels different. The colours are gray and muted, the sound is a low rumble and even the famous theme from John Williams seems to have given way to a much darker drone.

Everything that's wrong with Hollywood and film music today is stated in that one painful sentence.

suicide

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    you are exaggerating. Desplat's music is far from drones nor do i think that anything any composer involved with the franchise has written could be characterised as drone. Just because you would like to listen to williams all over again whilst the style and plots of the movies clearly change and depart from the adventurous fairy tale of john williams it doesn not mean there is something wrong with film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2010 edited
    I'm not exaggerating, Demetris. Going from a melody to a drone... yup, +1 for film music! rolleyes

As for your Williams comments... yes, I would like to listen to a Williams score for these darker, more dramatic, more "mature" installments of the Potter franchise... and Williams was beginning to go in that direction with Azkaban. No where have a stated that I want a rehash of Philosopher's Stone and you very well know that Williams wouldn't create that type of score for Deathly Hallows! There is a place for melody and themes is darker scores and Williams has proven that time and time again! Even Doyle, who wrote a much darker score than for Goblet of Fire was still able to inject melody (especially an excellent darker rendition of Hedwig's Theme) and still keep the tone of the film rather dark when asked for it! This melodic to drone statement is disturbing.

It's amazing, D, you've know me for years but your generalization of my tastes in film music is disappointing.

-Erik-
  5. Who knows, maybe for Yates, Williams would have had to the MUNICH loop path? wink
    If we were up for THE FURY, my vote would be for 'what Williams would do' x 10000%
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    God damn... if Williams returned to THE FURY mode... :scoregasm:

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    :scoregasm:

-Erik-

We SO need an emoticon for this one. Bregt?
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Where you lost me it's at the "Going from a melody to a drone" comment which i find very leveling.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've little doubt that I would have liked Williams's Deathly Hallows (even) more than Desplat's, but calling the latter "drone" is a bit of a stretch.