• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The inspiration for Indy IV was clearly lacking in ALL departments.

I'm confident Tintin will fare better.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    Steven wrote
    Even if it's half as good as his last score to a Spielberg film then... well... it won't be very good. Crystal Skull was a bit tame as far as Williams goes.

For once, my expectations for a new Williams score aren't high up in the stratosphere. Though I'm still looking forward to it.

I think he's putting more energy in his outer-film music, concert work during the last 5-6 years or so.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Even if it's half as good as his last score to a Spielberg film then... well... it won't be very good. Crystal Skull was a bit tame as far as Williams goes.

For once, my expectations for a new Williams score aren't high up in the stratosphere. Though I'm still looking forward to it.

I think he's putting more energy in his outer-film music, concert work during the last 5-6 years or so.

He has indeed.

Plus doing concerts all over the US.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. He could just bow out quietly. He needn't worry about other composers trying to replace him...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2011
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    He could just bow out quietly. He needn't worry about other composers trying to replace him...

I'm sure he doesn't care
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I'm looking forward to both the score and the movie.

TinTin (Kuifje in Dutch) is a hero. Don't mess with this Belgian stuff! punk
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

He has indeed.

Plus doing concerts all over the US.

Yeah, anywhere but here. slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    His La Jolla Quartet was an expression of his musical concepts.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2011
  3. The music I've heard from the last trailer promises great things. I'm hoping for a 'Seven Years in Tibet' kind of sound (without the asian flair of course), and an equally glorious theme.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited
    Related to Tintin.

Just great... it seems Williams went to a spa, fell asleep and woke up 30 years younger and started to write this score. Its busy, vibrant and has that adventure feel of old. Very much like Temple of Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3wJNko0Zg&NR=1

VERY HAPPY.
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011 edited
    And here we go:

CinemaMusica is proud to announce the First Listen of John Williams' "War Horse":

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1685/beauty- … -war-horse

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    ^ Didn't WQXR get the exclusive? wink

Anyway, thanks for the clips and the controversy that comes with them. biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Beauty and quiet majesty from John Williams?

Bah.....who cares?!?

wink <--- in case the irony wasn't perfectly clear.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Erik Woods wrote
    WQXR

Who?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BasilB wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    WQXR

Who?

http://www.wqxr.org/#/programs/movies/

David Garland presented a 16 minute suite from WAR HORSE Saturday night.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    Erik Woods wrote
    BasilB wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    WQXR

Who?

http://www.wqxr.org/#/programs/movies/

David Garland presented a 16 minute suite from WAR HORSE Saturday night.

-Erik-

Ah, crap!
    Sorry, I missed that one!!
    Will remove the 'exclusive' part of the Frist Listen...
    Thanks for the hint!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Exclusive EUROPEAN"?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    WQXR can be heard around the world! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    For those who can't be arsed to listen to the whole program, someone from ffshrine kindly uploaded just the 16 minutes of music:

http://forums.ffshrine.org/f92/wqxr-mov … des-97276/

Going on those 16 minutes, I'm all but certain this will be the best score of the year by far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    IMO, I don't think it's THE best of the year - that belongs securely to Mark McKenzie's The GREATEST MIRACLE - but from what I've heard of WAR HORSE it will most likely be the second Williams score on my Top 10 this year!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    WQXR can be heard around the world! wink

-Erik-

But isn't Europe-BASED!
    (C'mon! I'm just trying to cut Basil a break here wink )
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Cut him some slack by saying he is the first to present music from ALL of the tracks from the album. wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There ya go! A premiere! applause
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Very much enjoyed the program along with the score. This is a great Williams year!
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Talos wrote
    Related to Tintin.

Just great... it seems Williams went to a spa, fell asleep and woke up 30 years younger and started to write this score. Its busy, vibrant and has that adventure feel of old. Very much like Temple of Doom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v3wJNko0Zg&NR=1

VERY HAPPY.

Haha, I really love envisioning Williams waking up younger. I haven't been this excited about a score in a very long time.

Edited: Just realized it was released. Going to buy it today along with Jurassic Park on Blu-ray!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011 edited
    Nightwatch/Killer by Night (1965/1972)
    Music by John Williams and Quincy Jones

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=470

This FSM CD presents the premiere release of two scores for CBS telefilms, both made as pilots for series that never materialized, composed by two well-known and influential Hollywood giants.
    Composer John Williams and director Robert Altman famously collaborated on two feature films: Images (1972) and The Long Goodbye (1973). But their personal and professional relationship had begun in television nearly a decade earlier, on Revue's Kraft Mystery Theatre and Kraft Suspense Theatre. Altman's final Kraft Suspense episode had been "Once Upon a Savage Night" (later released theatrically as Nightmare in Chicago), shot on location around the Windy City using a special film stock that permitted nighttime filming with available light. After forming his own production company, Altman pitched a pilot for another series to be shot at night on location near the Great Lakes, at first dubbed Chicago, Chicago, but later retitled Nightwatch.

John Williams scored the Nightwatch pilot ("The Suitcase") in late 1965 and early 1966, creating a dynamic main theme and a suspenseful episode score. When CBS passed on the show, it remained unseen until Jul 15, 1968, when the network aired it on an anthology of busted pilots under the title "A Walk in the Night."

Shortly after serving as musical director for the Oscar telecast in April 1971, Quincy Jones began work on The City by Night, starring Robert Wagner and Greg Morris as a Los Angeles doctor and cop, respectively, who must track down a murderous diphtheria victim wreaking havoc in the city. The film (with a last-minute name change to Killer by Night), aired on the January 7, 1972, installment of The New CBS Friday Night Movies, but the network decided not to pick it up for a series.

Jones’s score, heavy on winds and percussion, combines his authoritative jazz sensibility with unique sonorities and compelling rhythms to effectively capture the story’s menace. A reserved but romantic love theme balances out the murky harmonies and harsh dissonance of the score’s darker, more aggressive passages.

FSM has remastered both scores from the only surviving sources: ¼” monaural tapes, given a slight stereo ambience for listenability. (The series theme and format music for Nightwatch are exceptions, presented here in vibrant genuine stereo, remixed by Mike Matessino.) The 20-page booklet designed by Joe Sikoryak contains authoritative notes on both films by Jeff Eldridge, plus track-by-track analyses by Eldridge and Frank K. DeWald.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    FSM has remastered both scores from the only surviving sources: ¼” monaural tapes, given a slight stereo ambience for listenability...

I wonder what that means? Mono sound isn't completely unlistenable!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    And yet again, a Williams item surfaces that I've never even heard of (and that says a lot, since I like to pride myself in knowing about every single thing he's done), much like the ELEVENTH HOUR tv score awhile back.

Chucks, I need to get this, then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    FSM has remastered both scores from the only surviving sources: ¼” monaural tapes, given a slight stereo ambience for listenability...

I wonder what that means? Mono sound isn't completely unlistenable!

I think it adds a bit of warmth and size to the sound.

-Erik-