• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008
    the only way i can consider this specific movie is just another reason for a Giacchino mammoth score; the rest i don't particularly care about wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    the only way i can consider this specific movie is just another reason for a Giacchino mammoth score; the rest i don't particularly care about wink

Ditto. I couldn't hum the main theme, but if I heard it I would know it. That, and the fact that red shirts are known to come from this series are all I know. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Ditto. I couldn't hum the main theme, but if I heard it I would know it. That, and the fact that red shirts are known to come from this series are all I know. dizzy

Did you never see the original series then Ant?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nope, I'm too young. angelic
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Nope, I'm too young. angelic

But it's been repeated ad-infinitum even on the terrestrial channels! ( as little as a year ago in fact....age is NOT an excuse wink )

All I'll say is that the scores for TOS piss all over Next Generation, Deep Space 9, etc etc, though to be fair to the talented composers of those shows they were put under unreasonable restraints by producer Rick Berman who didn't want any militaristic sounds and insisted on "sonic wallpaper".
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

All I'll say is that the scores for TOS piss all over Next Generation, Deep Space 9, etc etc,

Ah, but do they piss over things like Lost? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

All I'll say is that the scores for TOS piss all over Next Generation, Deep Space 9, etc etc,

Not quite comparable, Star Trek TOS were self contained episodes and scored by numerous composers who gave each episode it's own identity ( though many later episodes re-used various score segments ).

As stand alone works many of them are every bit as comparable to LOST, though nothing in LOST compares to Gerard Fried's score for the episode 'Amok Time' IMO.

LOST is NOT the end all and be all of TV scoring, far from it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

I know, but it's the best darn think I've ever heard. wink smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Damn right you can count me in !
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Speaking of which, any news on a season 4 soundtrack, anyone? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah; i am sure they will play the same game as with 3, release it on CD mid-way down the end of season 5 on tv.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Perhaps if I was obsessed with the TV show I might think the same? wink

As it is I think it's incredibly well structured TV scoring of the highest order, I have great respect for Giacchino. The show, however, is still overrated pants!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

As it is I think it's incredibly well structured TV scoring of the highest order

When you start analyzing it bit by bit, it's actually quite insane. I assume you don't keep up with the Lost thread, but check out what I've been doing recently. shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

As it is I think it's incredibly well structured TV scoring of the highest order

When you start analyzing it bit by bit, it's actually quite insane. I assume you don't keep up with the Lost thread, but check out what I've been doing recently. shocked

If I want insanity I'll put Eastenders on TV rolleyes

I'll check out what you've done Ant smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's very strange watching the first two seasons (especially) of Lost again. There's lots of little bits of music I hear that I would put on a soundtrack if I were making one. I'm not too familiar with the first two soundtracks, but lo and behold 90% of the stuff on my wishlist is released. On all previous viewings of the show all these bits of music have just passed me by. Today's surprise was ''Proper Motivation'' from Hearts And Minds. cheesy

(And how over the top is the uber-monstery "Run Away! Run Away!"? I love it! biggrin )
  1. Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not quite comparable, Star Trek TOS were self contained episodes and scored by numerous composers who gave each episode it's own identity ( though many later episodes re-used various score segments ).

As stand alone works many of them are every bit as comparable to LOST, though nothing in LOST compares to Gerard Fried's score for the episode 'Amok Time' IMO.

Tim's the man for telling it how it is! punk

One of the sets I would like to see coming eventually would be all the as-yet unreleased Star Trek scores from the original series. A lot of the love for these scores is that there's so much of the music that is so familiar - with a lot of the music being tracked into later episodes, and the constant repeats on TV this music was almost a soundtrack for my childhood. Passages as short as 5-10 seconds can send shivers down my spine, the music can be so evocative.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yes. Lost is easily the best episodic television music of the current day but compared with some of the stuff written for Star Trek... well, it's child's play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2008 edited
    I really truly do like Michael Giacchino. And I couldn't agree more concerning "Medal of Honor", "Medal of Honor : Underground" and "Secret Weapons Over Normandy".

However,

I personally confer my vote for "The next great ones" to John Powell and Brian Tyler.

Powell super-picks: Paycheck, Agent Cody Banks, Chicken Run, Robots.
    Tyler super-picks: Timeline, Annapolis, AVPR, Partition.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote

I personally confer my vote for "The next great ones" to John Powell and Brian Tyler.

Powell super-picks: Paycheck, Agent Cody Banks, Chicken Run, Robots.
    Tyler super-picks: Timeline, Annapolis, AVPR, Partition.

Yup, but look when most of those scores were composed - at least 5 years ago (no so much the case with Tyler, but especially Powell!). Quite frankly, neither of those composers have written anything close to the standard of these for ages. Look at Giacchino - consistently churning out brilliant, brilliant music.

I think John Powell is pretty much at the top of his game now with the number of gigs he is getting, and Tyler - as good as he is - I don't feel has it in him to be one of the ''greats''.

These two composers are still within my top 5 favourites, but Giacchino takes the top spot. Just look at the amount of insanely good music he has written in a short space of time:

Medal Of Honor, Medal Of Honor Underground, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault, Medal Of Honor Frontline, Call Of Duty, Alias (5 seasons of some of the best action music ever!), Call Of Duty United Offensive, The Incredibles, Call Of Duty Finest Hour, Lost (4 seasons of total perfection so far, and 2 more to come I hope!), MI3, Ratatouille, Medal Of Honor Airborne, Turning Point and Speed Racer.

(And yes, that's simply his best that I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Giacchino IS at the top spot, easily.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But would you say he's reached his peak?

I'd say no. I feel he is still capable of so much more, and we'll just have to wait a little longer to see it. angelic cool
  2. He may well become the next John Williams, that's how much faith I have in his abilities, and that's saying something as I don't tend to like the new batch of composers very much.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Exactly.

In all seriousness, when I think about the next Raiders or Empire Strikes Back coming along, I do see Giacchino's name in the credits.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    He may well become the next John Williams, that's how much faith I have in his abilities, and that's saying something as I don't tend to like the new batch of composers very much.

Those are HUGE shoes to fill.

Only time will tell, at the moment I feel statements like that are premature.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Exactly.

In all seriousness, when I think about the next Raiders or Empire Strikes Back coming along, I do see Giacchino's name in the credits.

Thus spake Anthony Nostradamus wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

Yup, but I don't see anyone else doing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF

Yup, but look when most of those scores were composed - at least 5 years ago (no so much the case with Tyler, but especially Powell!). Quite frankly, neither of those composers have written anything close to the standard of these for ages. Look at Giacchino - consistently churning out brilliant, brilliant music.

I think John Powell is pretty much at the top of his game now with the number of gigs he is getting, and Tyler - as good as he is - I don't feel has it in him to be one of the ''greats''.

These two composers are still within my top 5 favourites, but Giacchino takes the top spot. Just look at the amount of insanely good music he has written in a short space of time:

Medal Of Honor, Medal Of Honor Underground, Medal Of Honor Allied Assault, Medal Of Honor Frontline, Call Of Duty, Alias (5 seasons of some of the best action music ever!), Call Of Duty United Offensive, The Incredibles, Call Of Duty Finest Hour, Lost (4 seasons of total perfection so far, and 2 more to come I hope!), MI3, Ratatouille, Medal Of Honor Airborne, Turning Point and Speed Racer.

(And yes, that's simply his best that I've heard. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more.)

It's great to see we both agree to put Giacchino, Powell and Tyler in our top 5, but I still feel more excited at the idea of ordering a new Powell CD than Giacchino. And I don't think Powell's standards of quality have gone down, either: "Horton Hears a Who" is just as masterful as any of those listed above, "Hancock" is also up to his actions standards, and "P.S. I Love You" proved he's getting MUCH better with romantic comedies (because I think he really didn't have the hang of it with "Two Weeks Notice" and "Forces of Nature" yet).

I think at this point it's just a matter of personal taste... I mean, I don't think anyone can argue that Jerry Goldsmith, John Williams and Ennio Morricone are the true legends of their generations, right? Which one of the three happens to be your favourite is just a personal opinion. Probably the same might end up bring true of Giacchino/Tyler/Powell.

And, I'll have to ask for your eternal indulgence here, but so far, the two "Lost" releases bore me to tears. Maybe it doesn't help that I've never seen much of the show. I don't doubt there's good material in there... I probably just need to listen to it a lot more for the brilliance to sink it.

J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote

And, I'll have to ask for your eternal indulgence here, but so far, the two "Lost" releases bore me to tears. Maybe it doesn't help that I've never seen much of the show.

There's your problem. I had the season 1 soundtrack for a few months before I started watching the show, and my first thought of it was it was just a really, really depressing, messed up score. Now I can hardly find fault with it!

(By the way, there are three Lost soundtracks, the third being the best by miles. It still probably won't make all that much sense without knowing the context the music is used in though. wink Bringing that up, that's actually a really good point I've never thought about. The music for Lost can be very boring if you don't know what it's meant to be accompanying! shocked )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    Now Anthony, as a Lost music expert, do you know if Matthew Abaddon has a theme / motif / musical identity? As much as I like Lost and its music, I have to admit I have plenty of difficulties identifying themes with characters shame (so keep doing your Lost episode by episode score analysis in your web wink ).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Yup, but I don't see anyone else doing it.

That's correct, NOBODY!