• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Christopher Gordon

love

Sorry, I completely zoned out there for a minute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, also we must not forget that the COMPOSER is really defining the performance, not the conductor, so GIacchino on the stand or not, defines the interpretation of music himself. The conductor deals with the technicalities.

The way Christopher Gordon tells it, you do have a lot less control over exact issues of performance and synchronisation when you're in the booth.

Interesting because from my experience of witnessing Giacchino and Simonec working they are both very happy with how it all works out. Michael is able to pick up just as many performance issues in the booth as he would in the studio. Plus, with Simonec as his main orchestrator and the far more experienced conductor he also will be able to pick things up on the podium more so than Giachino would. That's just a guess... and uneducated one... but again from the way I see them work it's a well oiled machine and both are happy with the set up.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I get the impression that different composers just like different things. If you listen to Morricone, then someone who composes at a piano rather than on pencil and paper can't be considered a composer at all, and then you've got people at the other end of the scale who just play one-fingered into a keyboard and get dozens of people to orchestrate that tune into a full-blown score. There seem to be similar arguments over conducting. I guess it's whatever makes the individual most comfortable. It's interesting how many film composers there are who are comfortable with and capable of conducting, but just choose not to.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Plus the conductor is going to have a massive influence of the performance. For example, I think an orchestra is going to be much more pumped if WIlliams is conducting rather than somebody else...

...then again, I'm sure experienced conductors (Pete Anthony) are just as good actually. smile
  1. Yes, all really depends on the set up. I know that Zimmer for example tends to call each of the players PERSONALLY to talk with them about the details and he's capable of following the score with the performance.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Plus the conductor is going to have a massive influence of the performance. For example, I think an orchestra is going to be much more pumped if WIlliams is conducting rather than somebody else...

...then again, I'm sure experienced conductors (Pete Anthony) are just as good actually. smile

It's interesting what you say. I've seen Williams conduct concerts on many occasions and on a technical level he's an awful conductor - yet the performances were all flawless. I guess there's just more to it than just waving the stick.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    Plus the conductor is going to have a massive influence of the performance.

Again, from my experience, musicians get more excited about performing GOOD music no matter what genre or conductor.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Aha. I didn´t know he had ever conducted, hence the question. Then do you know why doesn´t he conduct his own scores?

Because Simonec is better at it?

Simonec is a metronome.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Yes, also we must not forget that the COMPOSER is really defining the performance, not the conductor, so GIacchino on the stand or not, defines the interpretation of music himself. The conductor deals with the technicalities.

The way Christopher Gordon tells it, you do have a lot less control over exact issues of performance and synchronisation when you're in the booth.

Interesting because from my experience of witnessing Giacchino and Simonec working they are both very happy with how it all works out. Michael is able to pick up just as many performance issues in the booth as he would in the studio. Plus, with Simonec as his main orchestrator and the far more experienced conductor he also will be able to pick things up on the podium more so than Giachino would. That's just a guess... and uneducated one... but again from the way I see them work it's a well oiled machine and both are happy with the set up.

-Erik-

I think it depends a lot on the people you work with. Gordon talks about the details you only detect when you're out there, and the way you can influence a player's performance just by slightly glancing in their direction.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    I'd just like to say that I have a feeling Giacchino will compose an excellent score for the new Star Trek movie. And I've never been interested in Star Trek or its music (don't yell at me).
    I just think an epic space adventure will inspire him.
  3. Panthera wrote
    And I've never been interested in Star Trek or its music (don't yell at me).

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

(opens mouth, face turning into angry expression, gets ready to shout some obscenity)
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Quick! All to Hawaii! There's a live performance of Ratatouille tonight by the Honolulu Symphony, followed by music from The Firebird!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stravinsky?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Yup.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    What an odd but awesome mix!
  4. Ratatouille and Igor? Indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008
    Does his score for Sky High have any form of release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2008 edited
    Panthera wrote

Nope. Too bad though... the music is really good. Some massive epic orchestral/choral material near the end of the score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I have the main theme, but I'm not sure where it came from. A promo or something? confused

I've seen the movie too but the score didn't really impress me - I just remember a lot of brass. Then again, I didn't like The Incredibles when I first heard it. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    I have the main theme, but I'm not sure where it came from. A promo or something?

I'm pretty sure someone ripped it from my radio show when I played it back in 2005. I'm shocked that my 15 minute suite from my Giacchino special in 2006 wasn't ripped and bootlegged. Anyway, I can recall someone talking about having that track and that they downloaded it from a "radio show." And I'm the only one in the radio industry who owns the score.... as far as I know. But Michael could have pressed a personal promo with that track on it... who knows.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    I'm shocked that my 15 minute suite from my Giacchino special in 2006 wasn't ripped and bootlegged.

Isn't it about time for a re-run of that particular show?
    angelic
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Panthera wrote

it is indeed time that scores receives some form of release, fun score that shows the non Lost style of Giacchino, bring it on punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    How is it like?
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    How is it like?

it's been a long time since I saw the movie, but it is more in the style of the scores before Lost than after, indeed as said orchestral and choral together, but not too serious. Lighthearted without making it sound ridiculous, but how it sounds exactly I can't tell anymore

I want to see it again tongue
    Bro, you too? wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    How is it like?

Adventurous with tongue firmly planted into cheek.

Here is the finale of the film with that big choral piece I told you about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PK3CvyBWA - Jump to the 4:36 mark.

Interesting story about the lyrics... Michael and the director (Mike Mitchell) both had kids while making the movie. So in the text Michael added his new born sons name "Griffith" and Mike Mitchell's sons name "Ollie." At one point in the cue you can clearly here "Griffith, Ollie, Griffith, Ollie, Griffith, Ollie!" Now, this isn't the first time Michael has done this. In his score to MOH: Frontline Michael added his other kids names "Mick" and "Grace" into the cue "Sturmgeist’s Armored Train." With 55 second left in the cue you can hear it.

If you'd like you can hear the AWESOME main title music Giacchino came up with in the clip below. Just watch the first 1:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkZfQTvO … re=related

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SWEET punk punk beer
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    In his score to MOH: Frontline Michael added his other kids names "Mick" and "Grace" into the cue "Sturmgeist’s Armored Train."

Fucking weird. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's becoming more and more temping to start a Giacchino fan site as well...considering the official site hasn't been updated since May. rolleyes

Hell, I may try and write to the man and see if I can get any support.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    It's becoming more and more temping to start a Giacchino fan site as well...considering the official site hasn't been updated since May. rolleyes

Hell, I may try and write to the man and see if I can get any support.

You sent him a link to your four trombones work and you are in wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not sure he'd be too happy I've got over an hours worth of music up there for free though. tongue