• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'd rather see Michael Giacchino remain Michael Giacchino than become the next John Williams. We need more and more composers who can orchestrate and have an idiosyncratic voice in the genre and that freshness was definitely brought in by Giacchino.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. There are aspects of John Williams in the work of Giacchino, Desplat and Gordon, which is interesting, because all claim to have been influenced by him, but it comes out in different ways in each.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008

There's your problem. I had the season 1 soundtrack for a few months before I started watching the show, and my first thought of it was it was just a really, really depressing, messed up score. Now I can hardly find fault with it!

Aaah, really? This is the kinda of feature for which it makes that much difference to experience it before you can enjoy the music? Hm. That's interesting. And I don't doubt it. It's just that about 75% of my collection is comprised of movies/shows I've never seen, and a lot of the time these scores can stand on their own, without having seen the source material. But I'll keep working on Lost, especially if I can get some of the DVDs to watch.

And I didn't know there was a third one. I just have vol.1 and the 2-disc vol.2 set.
    J-F
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd rather see Michael Giacchino remain Michael Giacchino than become the next John Williams. We need more and more composers who can orchestrate and have an idiosyncratic voice in the genre and that freshness was definitely brought in by Giacchino.

Well said beer

Michael's point is valid too, definite Williams influences in MG.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Those are HUGE shoes to fill.

Yup, but I don't see anyone else doing it.

That's correct, NOBODY!

I don't see anyone else doing it but Giacchino. tongue wink

I'm not saying he should be a clone of John Williams, I'm saying I think he'll reach the same level of popularity, quality and standoutness (I know that last one isn't a word!). wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Now Anthony, as a Lost music expert, do you know if Matthew Abaddon has a theme / motif / musical identity?

Nope, Abaddon does not have theme or anything...yet. The only baddies to have one so far are The Others and Ben. The one for The Others is quite possibly one of the simplest but most effective motifs ever (the 8 rising notes followed by 9 falling ones).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    1. Has anyone been watching Fringe? What do you think of the score if you have? I've seen the unfinished pilot episode and about 15 minutes of the one that aired with Giacchino's music. Sounded like a cross between Lost and Alias, so I have high hopes for where it will go.

2. There is a demo for Fracture out. I've had it sitting on my Xbox hard drive for about a week now but haven't had time to play it. Anyone checked it out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, there's new music by Giacchino for FRINGE? It's up to S01e04 'till now, if i am not mistaken. Anyone saw those?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'd downloaded the first episode but the audio quality was crap when I streamed it to my TV. It airs on Sunday here so I'll just wait until then.

And yeah - the credits - in the first episode at least - say "Music By Michael Giacchino", even though there was that talk about his new assistant scoring it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The first episode score is so Lost-esque that it could be from any episode of Lost. Actually, there are cues that when played I almost could see the hatch, Jack, Locke, Kate, the jungle and the numbers. Pretty weird.

I remember Erik saying that Giacchino only scored the first episode; let´s see what Giacchino´s assistant, Chad Seiter, has done with the rest of episodes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Chad Seiter shows "additional music" for two episodes. Maybe Giacchino is winging him slowly in, sort of like Beck with Kral on "Angel".
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    justin boggan wrote
    Chad Seiter shows "additional music" for two episodes. Maybe Giacchino is winging him slowly in, sort of like Beck with Kral on "Angel".

My thoughts exactly. I wonder if he'll turn out to be Chris Tilton Mk 2 or something totally different!
  4. Or the sad other route could be he was scoring the series as tge talk had suggested, but had most his score replaced after a few episodes in and the Abrams changed his mind.

But then again, that's just me.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Or the sad other route could be he was scoring the series as tge talk had suggested, but had most his score replaced after a few episodes in and the Abrams changed his mind.

But then again, that's just me.

I'd be very surprised if that was the case, considering they replace him...with his own assistant. If anything, I think it will go/has already gone the way of Alias - Giacchino's name is still shown in the credits, but (Tilton)/Seiter are infact doing all the work.
    • CommentAuthorColSharpe
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    Anthony wrote

2. There is a demo for Fracture out. I've had it sitting on my Xbox hard drive for about a week now but haven't had time to play it. Anyone checked it out?

Fracture is composed by Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    ColSharpe wrote
    Anthony wrote

Fracture is composed by Chris Tilton & Chad Seiter.

Damn.

Damn.

Not that that's a bad thing though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    Awesome Lost podcast on the music which I totally overlooked when it came out. shocked

If you know who he is, when Carl Vincent came on I couldn't stop laughing. biggrin

I. Want. To Play. Percussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Awesome Lost podcast on the music which I totally overlooked when it came out. shocked

If you know who he is, when Carl Vincent came on I couldn't stop laughing. biggrin

I can't view it right now, but is that the infamous one and only podcast with giacchino, the piano player, the harp player, celli and bass?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008 edited
    If you're thinking of the video one - no. This is audio and it's 20 minutes long. It's essentially the same thing, but better.

And funnier. smile
  5. Saying at a Trek board that scoring for "Star Trek" is (was) completed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2008
    Anthony wrote

Hey, thanks for this. Truly great!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. Well my first experience with Lost Season 3 and I was majorly disappointed. Now I confess I gave up on Lost somewhere in the middle of season 2, but still I know the overal sound of the series and how Giacchino gave his spin on things, and I found Lost Season 1 score rather okay but really what MUSIC is there on this double disc album? I guess I was hoping to find some themes here but I'll be damned if I'll ever find them. I did hear a lot of strings screeching and percussion pounding, but where did it all lead to? I will give this album another listen, my first listen was in my car, not the most glorious location to truly listen attentively to such a score, but I can already tell this will never get much attention from me. I have no need for such ambient drivel, by Mr. Giacchino or not...

Let the lynching commence!!! tongue

Please guys only stating my opinion here, go easy on me, hehe.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    No lynching from me. I thought the season three album was quite good but pretty unnecessary for anyone who has either of the others. The second disc unfortunately exposes that the scoring for individual episodes is a million miles short of what you'd expect of decent music from a film and that it really works best as the highlights compilations like the first two albums were.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think the scoring for LOST is very good, but I really REALLY don't get the rabid adulation it get's on this board!? It's great quality scoring compared to everything else I've heard around at the moment but would barely register ( IMO ) when compared to so many fantastic TV scores of the past.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Well my first experience with Lost Season 3 and I was majorly disappointed. Now I confess I gave up on Lost somewhere in the middle of season 2

That's why. If you've read my review on here, I've put something like "if you don't know what you're listening to, you're screwed". LOST albums are a very hard listen if you don't know or haven't seen the show. I'm a LOST nut, and this is the best soundtrack to come out this year. cheesy

Let me break some themes down for you:

Pagoda Of Shame/Deadly Fertility - Sun & Jin's Theme
    Church Of Eko's - Mr. Eko's Theme
    Romancing The Case/Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Nothin' - Love theme (one of them...)
    Distraught Desmond - Desmond's Theme
    Achara, Glad To See Me? - Jack's Theme
    Ocean's Apart - Juliet's Theme
    Claire-a A Culpa - Claire's Theme
    Juliet Is Lost - Island theme

Dharmacide - Ben's Theme (the full thing)

The second disc is a mix of about a billion motifs and themes for the finale. If you gave up mid-way through season 2, you'll only have heard the ones I highlighted in bold, and possibly Mr Eko's Theme if you got that far. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    People, LOST music has nothing to do with the tv music of the past of which you talk about. It's the absolute musical translation of the essence of the show and the island's own soul along with the troubled characters that go through it and if you don't follow it in context, it's natural that you won't be able to fully acknowledge the brilliance (yes, that's what this is about ppl) that Giacchino is crafting and contributing for the show. Every single note is there for a reason, dramatic and heavily emotional build-up in accordance to the on-screen drama (with the ancient-Greek original meaning of the word) is spot-on and tremendously effective like - i believe, very few-to no-such cases of tv music in the past. Nobody is asking you to understand and feel it outside the show 'cause the esoteric and highly related to the on-screen happenings-character of the score forbids it. But don't rush to dismiss a rather largely - admitted as phenomenal work just because of this.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The most the CD's can provide is a small part of what the music does for the show. You can't possibly release 20 hours of music per season.

Although I wish they would. angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    I MUST know when the season 4 soundtrack is being released?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ..um, for Lost btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Shouldn't this be in the "Angels and Demons" thread?