• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    R.I.P.
    April 15, 1948 - November 18, 2003

He went far too early. He was a composer that always delivered. Let's keep his memory alive here...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    Erik Woods wrote
    R.I.P.
    April 15, 1948 – November 18, 2003

He went far too early. He was a composer that always delivered. Let's keep his memory alive here...

-Erik-

Amen to that bro smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    Indeed!

His music will live on. No doubt about it. One of the best in my book.
    - What matters is the music -
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    Changing from Hook to Band of Brothers right now... *sniff*
    •  
      CommentAuthorHansP
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    That was, IMO objective opinion of course, the biggest loss for the future of film-music in the last 20 years...
    We'll always have Paris...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Changing from Hook to Band of Brothers right now... *sniff*

Man i truly can't put to words how much i adore BAND OF BROTHERS and what does it really mean to me....
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2007
    I man in film music that I will truly miss. sad
    I've always felt a connction with everything that I've had the pleasure to hear by him.

He will always remain one of my favorites...

Gonna go listen to some Lethal Weapon now. cool
  1. Kamen wasn't the most easy composer to connect to, but he had a distinct voice that made him definitely a big composer no matter what

I'm still so curious to that last score which he wrote, namely Back to Gaya, everybody says its brilliant, I would so like to hear that one day:(

I hope sometimes in the future smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Was listening to Three Musketeers earlier in the week, but Band of Brothers has to be one of my all time faves. Every time I hear the music somewhere else, I'm always struck by how beautiful and moving it is, and then I recognize it as Band of Brothers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    I'm still so curious to that last score which he wrote, namely Back to Gaya, everybody says its brilliant, I would so like to hear that one day:(

Here a 15 minute suite from Back To Gaya at...

http://www.dna-music.com/ilan_eshkeri.html

Scroll down to "Some sample music clips"

Not bad... but nothing extraordinary.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

wow cool thanks
    but isn't this the additional music Eshkeri wrote for the picture? I thought Kamen finished the most and Eshkeri came in and finished the loose ends?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

wow cool thanks
    but isn't this the additional music Eshkeri wrote for the picture? I thought Kamen finished the most and Eshkeri came in and finished the loose ends?

I think Kamen wrote a majority of the themes and some score but Eshkeri did most of the underscore based on kamen's material. I could be wrong.

-Erik-
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote

-Erik-

wow cool thanks

I think Kamen wrote a majority of the themes and some score but Eshkeri did most of the underscore based on kamen's material. I could be wrong.

-Erik-

I'll guess we'll never know, anyhoo, it sounds like Kamen and yet I hear some of Eshkeri through it as well
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008 edited
    I was listening to Kamen's Guitar Concerto (with Tomoyasu Hotei) last night. The 3rd movement is friggin' awesome! It reminded me of other works of his... perhaps Robin Hood & Mr Hollands Opus.
    If you like his American Symphony for Mr Hollands Opus, you'll like this one. There's a guitar version and an orchestral version too!
  4. 101 Dalmatians and What Dreams May Come too.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    Would have been Mr Kamen's 61st birthday today. A sorely-missed film composer - underappreciated by so many. I had hoped that some of his unreleased scores would get added to the limited edition craze, but no sign of it so far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Would have been Mr Kamen's 61st birthday today. A sorely-missed film composer - underappreciated by so many. I had hoped that some of his unreleased scores would get added to the limited edition craze, but no sign of it so far.

sad

I'm sure one of my few remaining holy grails, Highlander will get released one day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I've only listened to the first X-Men score by him, and I quite like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blimey, there's some fine Kamen scores you've yet to hear then! Robin Hood, The Three Musketeers, The Iron Giant, Band Of Brothers, 101 Dalmatians.... all worth a good listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Thanks! Will check them out. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Thanks! Will check them out. smile

...and Mr. Holland's Opus
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote

I'm working on my Cinematic Sound archive page right now which will include my tribute to Michael Kamen that I produced around the time of his death. You're gonna wanna check it out!

It will be up soon...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote

I'm working on my Cinematic Sound archive page right now which will include my tribute to Michael Kamen that I produced around the time of his death. You're gonna wanna check it out!

It will be up soon...

-Erik-

Thanks! Will listen to it smile
  5. Kamen had a very distinct musical voice, you could easily tell that it was him

It is ironic I adore his score for Robin Hood the most (considering it is much more accessible), but I do know that the man could compose far better stuff than most of today's music

He could have given us so much more, just like Basil passed on too early sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2009
    Kamen was just getting better and better and better. There was so much more great music to come from him, I'm sure. So sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2009
    *tear*
  6. omaha wrote
    *tear*

where the bloody hell have you been buddy? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2009
    haha... around wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    R.I.P.
    April 15, 1948 – November 18, 2003

-Erik-

I personally think it was huge loss for Hollywood filmmakers. Michael Kamen's scores had always lived up to hope and expectations of film score fans. His composing style was unique. My first score i ever purchased was "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves". It was very awesome and excellent action/epic adventure score. He might be dead but his works are immortal. My favorite works of Michael Kamen are:

1. Robin Hood:Prince of Thieves
    2. The Three Musketeers
    3. Don Juan Demarco
    4. Jack
    5. 102 Dalmatians
    6. Die Hard
    7. Mr.Holland Opus

May his soul rest in peace. sad
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2009
    I sadly have nothing yet by Michael Kamen. shame What would you all recommend for me to start off with? confused