• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Pretty generic. Not even good generic. Rather ordinary and nothing really standouts... except for the God awful rock and clichéd middle eastern music.

-Erik-

I think it's really rather good. You seem to like "God awful rock" in other scores, so why not this one? Just forget it's for a Star Wars film... that's not even a proper Star Wars film!

I've given it two full listens with my full attention, and I've enjoyed it each time. If it wasn't called "Star Wars", I wonder if reactions would differ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Pretty generic. Not even good generic. Rather ordinary and nothing really standouts... except for the God awful rock and clichéd middle eastern music.

-Erik-

I think it's really rather good. You seem to like "God awful rock" in other scores, so why not this one? Just forget it's for a Star Wars film... that's not even a proper Star Wars film!

I've given it two full listens with my full attention, and I've enjoyed it each time. If it wasn't called "Star Wars", I wonder if reactions would differ?

Sure the reactions would be different. But this IS Star Wars. You just can't simply IGNORE that fact. I don't care if it's a stupid cartoon or a $400 blockbuster. The rock music doesn't work in the context of Star Wars. No, I haven't seen the movie but I repeat, John Williams establish a musical identity and the rock music isn't part of it. Sure, there was an electric guitar in Attack of the Clones but it wasn't used as a "rock" element. Actually, it was wisely cut from the final film. One of the RARE musical edited Lucas got right.

Now, I did hear a few solid action cues but overall the new thematic material is weak... actually, I couldn't really pick out ANY new themes... and the established Williams themes are hardly used in this score. And the lack of the proper main title is ridiculous.. but that's not Kiner fault. How do you have a Star Wars film WITHOUT the classic title crawl?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then we differ in this respect! Thankfully (and I don't mean this to sound the way it will inevitably sound), but I for one can ignore the fact that this is for a Star Wars movie, mostly because I simply do not care what George Lucas decides to pull out of his ass these days concerning that franchise. The only thing I really don't like about this score is the atrocious version of the Star Wars main theme. But the music itself is good music (IMO) regardless of whether it's appropriate for its context or not. Zimmer and Co.'s MI2 score is AWFUL within the movie, but it makes an awesome album.

Now, if it was meant to be a proper sequel to the original films, a live-filmed movie and one that was being released in the cinema, one that was meant to be a genuine proper follow up to the classic Star Wars films, then I might have more of a problem with it. But since I don't take this new film seriously AT ALL, I can enjoy this score in it's own right, separated from the Star Wars universe.
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Private fears in public places (Mark Snow)

Michael, how's that?

It's all done on a keyboard, so if that's a breaking point for you, avoid it. For me the melodies make it well worth it.

NP: A Summer Story (Delerue)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008
    WOW! I glitched up this thread yesterday! shocked
    My apologies to everyone!
    I remember having a quick look and saw it all srewed up thinking "who did that".
    It was me. Seems if you accidently remove quote borders it fraks everything up that follows.
    Lesson learned. I'll be more careful next time!
    Once again a most embarrassed apology from yours truly! shame

Hmmmmm, but the destructive power I can now wield is most tempting! dizzy

No, no, no. Sorry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Atham wrote

No, no, no. Sorry!

biggrin

All is good in the world again, my friend!

beer

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Atham wrote

No, no, no. Sorry!

LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Fixed! biggrin punk

NP: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Bernard Hermann

What a score!! Terrific!!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk

Pure class cool

Fabulous big fantasy scoring with no need of a "generic" 100+ piece choir!

I wonder how many of todays composers would survive in the climate of golden age ( and a lot of the silver age ), having to write and read music without the help of banks of keyboards etc?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Steven wrote

For a film about a wolf/husky, I'd take Horner's Balto any day. Now that score has depth!

Yes! I love Horner's score for Balto. It has so much emotional depth to it. For a main character who has a lot of self doubt ( I think he did, at least) the music really reflects it. Then at the end once Balto has been heroic the same music that seemed sort of sad at the beginning is used in a heroic way.

NP: Kung Fu Panda - John Powell and Hans Zimmer

I really like this music too. I the contributions from both composers are above their personal averages. No complaints here. They might want to team up again if it gives these results.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Panthera wrote
    Steven wrote

For a film about a wolf/husky, I'd take Horner's Balto any day. Now that score has depth!

Yes! I love Horner's score for Balto. It has so much emotional depth to it. For a main character who has a lot of self doubt ( I think he did, at least) the music really reflects it. Then at the end once Balto has been heroic the same music that seemed sort of sad at the beginning is used in a heroic way.

I agree too! I think the score fit in the character very very well.

NP: Balto - James Horner

"Heritage Of The Wolf" is great, both on album and in the scene.

And I love the song "Reach For The Light" too biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  2. NP: Call of the Champions + Summon of the Heroes - John Williams

Some great music for the Olympics.

punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: "The Wind Of Time" (first track) from Porco Rosso Soundtrack - Joe Hisaishi

Addictive! punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  3. NP: Poseidon - Klaus Badelt

First spin since... well, a long time ago.

The Main Theme is okay, it even grasps for some goldsmithian style somewhere in the middle of it (but fails, of course). The action stuff is MV/RC standard stuff, but it rocks if given the proper volume level. I especially like how the main theme is written into some tracks, and the last track is a nice round up for a nothing-new-on-the-horizon-but-the-horizon-is-upside-down-anyway score. It works for me, and I haven´t even seen the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I suggest watching the movie up to the bit where the wave hits the boat. After that, take the DVD out of the DVD player and burn it. If you're watching it on TV, press the kill switch immediately. And then order a pizza or something.
  4. Is it really that bad? Not even some interesting action in between? Keep in mind that I suffered through Perfect Storm and The Day after Tomorrow without feeling harmed too much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Perfect Storm benefits from an AWESOME score, and The Day After Tomorrow is actually quite an entertaining film IMO. I'm usually a sucker for a disaster movie, but Poseidon isn't so much bad as it is painfully mediocre. Ironically, at least a really bad film has something going for it, Poseidon has very little save for the wave hitting the boat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I see. Do you know the original, and how are they any different? I like the original a lot.

Day after Tomorrow had some very nice images, most of all frozen New York and that huge russian ship stuck on whatever street it was...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lonesome Dove Basil Poledouris

Thanks buddy! beer (That goes to both Poledouris and he whom got me this score. cheesy )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I'd agree, completely.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Steven wrote
    Lonesome Dove Basil Poledouris

Thanks buddy! beer (That goes to both Poledouris and he whom got me this score. cheesy )

I saw a commercial for the DVD an hour or so ago and they were using some generic synthetic western music. When you have such amazing music from the actual score, I have to ask why?!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I tortured myself with another listen of The Clone Wars by Kevin Kiner and thank God it's over. The rock music, the straight forwad middle eastern soruce cues and swing music. Good God, at least John Williams tried to make that kind of stuff sound other worldly. I mean, compare Cantina Band to Ziro's Nightclub Band. Ugh! I won't be listening to this one ever again...

Time to move onto...

NP: Star Wars - John Williams

Aaaah! Classic main title music, classic THEMES, classic everything. THIS is Star Wars music.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    I tortured myself with another listen of The Clone Wars by Kevin Kiner and thank God it's over. (...)
    I won't be listening to this one ever again...

Can I have it then? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    I tortured myself with another listen of The Clone Wars by Kevin Kiner and thank God it's over. (...)
    I won't be listening to this one ever again...

Can I have it then? wink

You don't need it, trust me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Don't listen to Demetris Ralph, make up your own mind about it. I for one like it and don't think it deserves the harsh (and somewhat blind) criticism it's received. (Though not all criticism has been 'blind', I admit.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Blind? Not even close. Apparently Erik and I have given it several listens and our ears are pretty open. It seems pretty generic and soulless to me, music without personality. I am trying to understand what is it that you liked so much about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're showing classic Demetris signs of "I don't like it. But someone else has expressed a certain enthusiasm for it. Hence forth it is my job to express my negative opinion of it wherever I can!"

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, I'm just saying I like it. That's all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sorry, That's bull. How many times have i agreed with enthusiasm on scores? At times even accused of over-exaggerating? Just because i don't agree with you now, that doesn't seem that i do it with every score that's being enthusiastically liked around here! Sometimes i wonder if you really mean what you're writing Steven, really. All i asked is a simple question, i am trying to understand your point about the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You misinterpret what I say (which is another classic Demetris trait biggrin ). I didn't say you do it with every score, you'd end up hating every score otherwise! But if someone is showing enthusiasm for a score that you particularly don't like, you have in the past been a little, shall we say, direct about it.

To answer your question, I like this score because it's fun. It has some good action parts to it, and overall I am satisfied with the listen. What else can I say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nothing, that covers it up for me, i just can't hear that! angelic
  5. Since there´s no way to avoid it, I will definitely make my mind about it while I´m in the theatre. Everything else will be answered to later.