• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    I'm not sure what the issue is? Didn't you do the exact same thing with Reel Music?

I didn't think that I was going to be very good at explaining this!

No, I haven't done the same as I had before. I wanted to have my own domain name to go with my email address that I have been using for work. So I switched from a purely email package to a hosting package with the same company so that my email would just be transferred to the hosting/email package.

I made sure that the package included support for a WordPress-based site. Within the control panel of my website there is a software section that allows me to install WordPress automatically.

I am only a novice at this so I am not sure what to do next. I can see that WordPress is now a subfolder within the structure for my site, and I am beginning to change the appearance of the WordPress side of things via the WordPress dashboard. But I don't really understand yet how I can translate what I am doing in the Dashboard to a "live" website.

I suppose what I am trying to do is to have the WordPress-generated site (a very basic site rather than a blog) hosted within my specific web address.

I've only started this today so my learning curve is a bit steep. I have contacted the helpdesk of the hosting company but I wanted to tap into any expertise here also.

Has that explained it a bit better?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2013
    I'm not sure I should try and help, due to what you state here:
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Within the control panel of my website there is a software section that allows me to install WordPress automatically.

This seems to suggest that your hosting company has already built some kind of script or shell to get Wordpress installed.
    Which means all standard installation hints and tips are now invalid! They may have built in their own particular standards and procedures to install and activate Wordpress, and changed the way (or rather the location) it's standard installed to!

So I'd wait until their helpdesk gets back to you for help.
    I really wouldn't feel comfortable stepping in here. It might mess things up terribly!

Don't they have some online documentation, FAQ-list or installation guide I could have a look at?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I am currently looking through their site for relevant FAQs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn, my hosting people don't seem to have much information on their own site about WordPress - I am hoping that their help people will be more, well, helpful.

But I have found another site (http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/) where there is a whole section on WordPress and it's use in the situation I have. A lot of what I am reading seems familiar, so I will give this a read and see if I can get on whilst the helpdesk gets back to me.
  4. I've not even tried again sorting this website thing out...and the hosting company has gone suspiciously quiet about helping me now that I have signed up. Not too hopeful about this but I will try again contacting them.

(Below is just really me venting my frustration, so no-one need read any further!)

But I have had a frustrating time this morning with a couple of computer issues that has me tearing, what little hair I have left, out.

One is a work related issue that's (hopefully) being worked through by their IT people (I am now back to IE8 as this is the most recent version of the browser where they know things work!!), but the second is an issue I have been having for a few days with eMusic, the online subscription-based music store. Online stores' so-called "downloader managers" are great when then work but they are mind-numbingly problematic when they don't - and so-called helpdesks are terrible at trying to sort out issues: just issuing uninstall/re-install suggestions at every opportunity.

It used to be that, whenever you bought a track and downloaded it from eMusic, the manager would kick into life and the track(s) would be downloaded. Good stuff. But the last few days there seemed to be a break in this process and a whole series of emails went back and forth trying to resolve the issue. I couldn't even get the most recent manager to install and so had to roll back to an earlier one just to get it installed. But, no matter what the suggestions were, I could not get it to work. I managed to work out how to install the most recent version of the manager but that was just as problematic and just would not work. Then when I tried to uninstall the manager the uninstall process seemed to have a problem (a file called "Au_.exe" or something similar would not run properly).

Then I had a brainwave and it fixed the whole issue with only a couple of clicks - I cancelled my eMusic subscription. The problem is now solved. I noticed too that it's really difficult to find any direction to the place on the eMusic site that tells you how to cancel. It is there - I found it via a Google search - but it is tucked away in the depths of their site.

Anyway, rant over. I may leave trying to fathom the website I am trying to get up and running for another day.
  5. For months I've been pestered every time I've opened iTunes to update my last.fm scrobbler. I've resisted because of the bad press from some quarters.

But today, I relented and updated. And it has completely fucked up my iTunes. iTunes just refuses to open.

Fuck. Fuck. Fucking fuck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    But today, I relented and updated. And it has completely fucked up my iTunes. iTunes just refuses to open.

Try and update/install QuickTime.
    That usually fixes this (unless you get a specific error message?)

FalkirkBairn wrote
    But I have found another site (http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/wordpress/) where there is a whole section on WordPress and it's use in the situation I have.

Yyyyyeaaahhhhh, but that's pretty generic and can be found even on the Wordpress download site.
    I'll just tell you what I did (for whatever that's worth):

- I downloaded the wordpress installation from here.
    - Then, following the instructions here, I unzipped the package, made the proper changes to the wp_config file
    - Then I used an FTP program (Ipswitch WS_FTP in my case) to upload the entire content of the unzipped directory to the root of my hosted web. Where that root resides differs per provider. Normally it's in the "public_html" folder, sometimes it's directly where you are allowed to connect to.
    Easy way to find it is to find a file called "index.php" or "index.html". That's where your (visible) root should be.

That's it.
    It's really as simple as that.

Prerequisite:
    * access to MySQL on your web server to be able to create a database and a database user for Wordpress!
    You will need to put that info in the wp_config file!
    Normally this option should be part of the "administration console" (or whatever it's called) that you got access to when you ordered the hosted service.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn, thanks. I'll come back to the WordPress issue in a while.

But, more importantly, to the iTunes issue.

iTunes just refuses to open since I tried to use it after I updated the last.fm scrobbler. I uninstalled the scrobbler.

I tried opening iTunes in a sort of "safe mode" - (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1717) holding down shift & control keys whilst launching iTunes. That seemed to work and iTunes seemed to open okay.

I found another piece of info that suggested looking at the plug-ins associated with iTunes (http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3430) and I found a last.fm file - itw_scrobbler.dll - which I moved out of this folder (C:Program Files (x86)iTunesPlug-Ins) and onto my desktop out of the way. I tried opening iTunes in the normal way and this seems to have brought functionality back to the program.

Is it likely that this last.fm dll file is messing up the launch of iTunes?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I can only answer from a 'common sense' approach: it's not part of iTunes proper, and when you removed it, the program started normally again.

So, well, yeah. It does seem to be the cause.

Technically he scrobbler and iTunes are interlinked. So one would definitely influence behaviour of the other (if only that one startes together with the other).
    If you're attached to the scobbler (I know I am) you might have tried deinstalling Last.FM completely and see if iTunes then starts normally again. I'm willing to bet that a full de-installation/reinstallation of Last.FM would solve the problem as well.

But if you're happy as it is now, by all means throw out the dll and let things be.
  7. Martijn wrote
    I can only answer from a 'common sense' approach: it's not part of iTunes proper, and when you removed it, the program started normally again.

So, well, yeah. It does seem to be the cause.

Technically he scrobbler and iTunes are interlinked. So one would definitely influence behaviour of the other (if only that one startes together with the other).
    If you're attached to the scobbler (I know I am) you might have tried deinstalling Last.FM completely and see if iTunes then starts normally again. I'm willing to bet that a full de-installation/reinstallation of Last.FM would solve the problem as well.

But if you're happy as it is now, by all means throw out the dll and let things be.

I really want to be able to use the scrobbler but I think that I would want to use a version of the scrobbler that is older than the current one. I am currently using iTunes version 10.3.1.55 - I don't want to update to the more recent version of iTunes because I believe that the most recent version has done away with Cover Flow? I like Cover Flow. And, I am not sure whether this recent version of the scrobbler is compatible with iTunes 10??
  8. Martijn wrote
    Yyyyyeaaahhhhh, but that's pretty generic and can be found even on the Wordpress download site.
    I'll just tell you what I did (for whatever that's worth):

- I downloaded the wordpress installation from here.
    - Then, following the instructions here, I unzipped the package, made the proper changes to the wp_config file
    - Then I used an FTP program (Ipswitch WS_FTP in my case) to upload the entire content of the unzipped directory to the root of my hosted web. Where that root resides differs per provider. Normally it's in the "public_html" folder, sometimes it's directly where you are allowed to connect to.
    Easy way to find it is to find a file called "index.php" or "index.html". That's where your (visible) root should be.

That's it.
    It's really as simple as that.

Prerequisite:
    * access to MySQL on your web server to be able to create a database and a database user for Wordpress!
    You will need to put that info in the wp_config file!
    Normally this option should be part of the "administration console" (or whatever it's called) that you got access to when you ordered the hosted service.

Thanks for the effort you have put into this for me, Martijn.

I've been trying to get to grips with web sites and how they are generated - in the context of my hosting company - and it seems that I may have placed the WordPress part in the wrong place.

If you type in www.woundcaresol.co.uk/wordpress into a browser then you do actually see what I have been trying to do. It's at an early stage at the moment, but it is there. What I need to do is to have what's in the wordpress folder in the root woundcaresol.co.uk folder, i.e., in the "public_html" folder.

I'm just trying to find out whether I can just cut-and-past all that is in the ""public_html/wordpress" folder and move it up a level to the "public_html" folder. Or whether I need to uninstall Wordpress and re-install in the correct folder.
  9. It does look that I have to uninstall and then re-install WordPress in the correct location. I supppose that this means that I will lose all that I have done so far? It's not too much, but it's a bit inconvenient.

A question. Could I have done what I wanted to do without having to have signed up with a hosting company? I suppose that, if I wanted the domain name then the answer would have been "yes".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've been trying to get to grips with web sites and how they are generated - in the context of my hosting company - and it seems that I may have placed the WordPress part in the wrong place.

Correct!

What I need to do is to have what's in the wordpress folder in the root woundcaresol.co.uk folder, i.e., in the "public_html" folder.

Exactly!
    But here's the good news: you don't need to do a reinstallation: here's how to go about it.

Yes, it'll mean a bit of fiddling around with your FTP program, but at least you won't have to start all over again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    A question. Could I have done what I wanted to do without having to have signed up with a hosting company? I suppose that, if I wanted the domain name then the answer would have been "yes".

I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
    If you want to host a site, you need a hosting company (unless you are comfortable running your own web server...which at a guess wouldn't be the case! wink ).

I guess you could have put up a hosted site on wordpress.com (where you get you own wordpress subsite on wordpress.com), but then you'd have to fiddle around with the name servers from the company you registered your own url with, so that when someone'd click "www.falkirkbairn.com" they'd end up on "alan.wordpress.com".

I thoroughly dislike such constructions....but at least you wouldn't have needed to have your own hosting company then.
  10. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Correct!

What I need to do is to have what's in the wordpress folder in the root woundcaresol.co.uk folder, i.e., in the "public_html" folder.

Exactly!
    But here's the good news: you don't need to do a reinstallation: here's how to go about it.

Yes, it'll mean a bit of fiddling around with your FTP program, but at least you won't have to start all over again!

God, that looks complicated! I may just uninstall and 're-install.
  11. FalkirkBairn wrote
    For months I've been pestered every time I've opened iTunes to update my last.fm scrobbler. I've resisted because of the bad press from some quarters.

Fuck. Fuck. Fucking fuck.

Things don't seem so bad now.

I managed to get iTunes up and running again and I have now managed to re-install the previous last.fm scrobbler. And things seem to be working again!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014 edited
    Any suggestions on simple, free video trimming software? (Windows 7)

Think of Audacity, when editing audio files. One can simply highlight an area and press delete and one can cut out as many sound bites as one wants. I'd like something like that for videos. I prefer if it doesn't have tons of features that I'll never use, as I like small, neat programs that don't take up loads of resources, but all programs today seem to be huge and overly complicated, so perhaps that's not possible. And I prefer not to get malware of course.

Anyway, before it's suggested, I know that Windows Live Movie Maker can trim into smaller bits and then join them into a video, but that's a lot of work and more importantly the videos it produces don't play properly on my computer.

I've looked at many programs, but it seems impossible to find one that fits my needs. I'm sure it's due to my ignorance with programming, but I don't understand why it has to be so difficult to simply delete some data in the middle of a file.

Anyway, I would hugely appreciate any software suggestions. Oh, and format is less important. It would be nice if the program could edit several formats, but I have a program to convert between different formats.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2014
    Great thanks, Jim! punk I've landed on Avidemux. It has its share of bugs, but it works just fine if I don't try to do anything too fancy.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2014
    I've been away a lot because I'm working installing everything onto my new computer. The generation 5 intel is good and I now have 3 terrabytes to work with but it has been a royal pain.
    listen to more classical music!
  12. Can anyone recommend some free DVD software for my laptop. I ditched WMP ages ago and for the rare times I needed to view a DVD I used VLC Media Player.

However, recently the VLC player hasn't been working, crashing even when I try to run it to play a DVD. When it does start (on the second attempt) it refuses to do anything at all. I had an old version so uninstalled the old version and installed the newest version. Same problems.

I never liked the interface with VLC so I have uninstalled it again and am now looking for some other DVD-playing software.

Any suggestions? (Laptop runs Windows 7)
  13. I had to get a laptop without a disc drive (this seems to be the way things are going). This is, of course, terrible news if you like to transfer music from CDs onto a program like itunes, which I occassionally do (understatement). So now I have to get an external disc drive.

Anyone have any recommendations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    So I tried to install my ancient IBM Scanner on my Windows 7 to no avail (no driver to be found anywhere).

But an unexpected consequence of these efforts is that there was suddenly a bar at the bottom of my Explorer window which I can't seem to remove. See this screengrab:

http://celluloidtunes.no/non-website/annoying.jpg

To all you Windows 7 experts out there -- how on EARTH do I remove this?
    I am extremely serious.
  14. Thor wrote
    So I tried to install my ancient IBM Scanner on my Windows 7 to no avail (no driver to be found anywhere).

But an unexpected consequence of these efforts is that there was suddenly a bar at the bottom of my Explorer window which I can't seem to remove. See this screengrab:

http://celluloidtunes.no/non-website/annoying.jpg

To all you Windows 7 experts out there -- how on EARTH do I remove this?

Thor, it looks like you have inadvertently managed to show the "Details Pane" in Windows Explorer. If you open Windows Explorer and open the drop-down menu called "Organise" (looks like it's "Organiser" in the photo you posted).

There should be a line "Layout". Hover your cursor over this and there should be several options, one of which is "Details Pane". From your photo, this should be "ticked". Untick this and the offending pane should disappear.

Hope this helps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014
    Awesome, thanks! Phew...I thought I was stuck with that thing forever and ever.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014 edited
    As long as I'm here, I might as well take a long shot on the thing that caused this in the first place:

I have an old, but excellent scanner (IBM IdeaScan 2000), released in 1999, that I would like to use.

Alas, there are no drivers to be found anywhere that work with Windows 7.

Back in the days of XP (when the scanner was still old), there was a manual way to work around the absence of a driver. I went to 'hardware', then 'update driver', then chose a location on my harddrive where an 'alternative', workable printer driver popped up. When I try this now, I'm only told that nothing can be found.

Now, I don't expect anyone to know anything about this scanner, in particular, but I wonder if Windows 7 has the same option as XP.

In other words: Is there a way to "force" W7 to find this particular file like you could with XP?

If this is unclear (I guess it is), I can provide screen grabs again.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. Does the scanner come with Driver CDs? Maybe try installing the INF file?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Does the scanner come with Driver CDs? Maybe try installing the INF file?

Yeah, but I lost it. Besides, the CD-ROM files stopped working some 3-4 years after the scanner was released.
    I am extremely serious.
  16. Face it: You need a new scanner. They are slim and fast. You will love it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I probably do, but they are very expensive and it's not exactly a tool you use every day. This old one is of top quality, with a very slim design, so I wish there was a way to circumvent the dated software technology!
    I am extremely serious.