• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    If the stereo supports BT technology, that is indeed an option. But I thought you said it only had analogue plug-ins.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    You can just use a regular audio cord from your PC to your stereo. That's what I do:

http://cloud4.lbox.me/images/384x384/20 … 130239.jpg

I thought about bluetooth. There are BT-line-in thingies by Logitech and Philips.

A permanent cable would have to be layed elaborately, including drilling a hole through a wall.
    On the other side, there is no need for the cable to be there permanentely. Maybe the simple way is the best indeed.

That's right. But a device like this:
    http://www.amazon.de/Logitech-schnurlos … =1-1-fkmr0

changes BT signals into analog line out. I think my new PC is eqipped with BT, but I have dongles, too. I am not sure though, how to tell MS Media Player to adress that BT technology. Can a PC stream music via BT?

A line cable layed across the floor when needed and put away when not would be the simplest and most stabel slution.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Help required on 2 things:

Photoshop Elements 7.0 was bundled with our desktop PC and the children have gotten used to this. But since the kids received their new laptops there's no equivalent package on their computers. I've tried them with GIMP but it's too complex for them. Are old versions of PSE available to download for free now that the program seems to be up at version 11?

Windows Office 2010 was bundled with the laptops and when I try to open it there's options showing that this has been purchased but needs activating. But, I can't find any sticker with an activation key on the computers, on any paperwork or on the boxes in which the laptops came. So, as far as I can tell, no activation keys were supplied. Does anyone know how I can find out the activation keys for this bundle? There seem to be programs available to download that can find them for me(?) but I don't know which one to use. (The children don't like using OpenOffice.)

Any advice would be useful!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    Anyone know any easy to use website building programs or a website where you can build your own homepage? My gf uses weebly.com, which is an easy to use online website builder, but she feels that it's too constricting as one has to work from their templates. It's possible to use html on weebly, but it's too annoyingly buggy.

Anyway, perhaps it would be best to avoid html, as it's a lot to learn. A simple program or website where you can drag and drop boxes and change them to whatever and wherever you want them, and import photos and whatever colours you fancy, i.e. an easy to use program/website that makes you create your homepage exactly how you'd want it to look.

Oh, and she owns one of those ghastly Mac monstrosities, so any suggested program has to be able to run on that.

Peter smile
  3. HTML isn't hard to deal with if you keep it simply. If she wants a simple, no thrills website with just some photos, it's exceedingly easy once you know some basics.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    That's probably true. She's not exactly a computer genius but she seems to be picking it up rather quickly.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Peter, why not use a free Wordpress account?

Just register at Wordpress.com, create a blog/site and she can tweak, use themes, add plugins, all for free. I'm sure Alan and Tom know about the ins and outs of Wordpress. I'm more of an administrator of these installations.
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    Peter, why not use a free Wordpress account?

Just register at Wordpress.com, create a blog/site and she can tweak, use themes, add plugins, all for free. I'm sure Alan and Tom know about the ins and outs of Wordpress. I'm more of an administrator of these installations.

What Bregt means is that if even Tom and I can set up a Wordpress account/blog then anyone can! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013 edited
    Haha. No I didn't! I know that of the forum members, you two use it a lot, the free Wordpress.com version that is.

I think you read things that are not said. Starts at certain age. tongue
    Kazoo
  5. biggrin

I am assuming that there's a pay-as-you-go version of Wordpress? In easy terms, what are the benefits of having the costs?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Bregt, thanks for the suggestion. beer

On wordpress is there total freedom to change the layout as you see fit?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    plindboe wrote

Oh, and she owns one of those ghastly Mac monstrosities

My Mac has served me well for 5 years! (I do need a new one though...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Have unzipped Wordpress on my computer, but have no idea what to do now as I can't find any executable file. I'm reading the ReadMe installation guide and I can't make sense of it. I'd have to spend days researching if I want to understand what this "famous 5 minute install" is about.

Makes me hesitant to recommend it to the gf, as I'm practically Bill Gates compared to her when it comes to computers.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Steven wrote
    My Mac has served me well for 5 years! (I do need a new one though...)

Whenever I have to help the gf with her computer it just strikes me how annoying it is. It's all the little things, like when I've select a file and click enter, then it thinks that I want to rename it. A thing that annoys me more is that many of the windows can't be opened to full screen. I find it a major distraction seeing all those layers of windows, so I always want the program I'm using to fill the entire screen. I don't like computers who seem to say "Oh, you want full screen? Tough luck! It's not like I'm your property or anything, I'm the one calling the shots around here!". And in Finder one can't expand a folder to show all the subfolders, which can make it annoying to transfer files. But perhaps there are solutions to these things. It's just that every time I try out her Mac, there are these constant annoyances, that to me seems user unfriendly and counterintuitive.

But I guess it's because I'm used to PCs that I find it difficult to transition from one to the other.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNeilbucket
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Help required on 2 things:

Photoshop Elements 7.0 was bundled with our desktop PC and the children have gotten used to this. But since the kids received their new laptops there's no equivalent package on their computers. I've tried them with GIMP but it's too complex for them. Are old versions of PSE available to download for free now that the program seems to be up at version 11?

Windows Office 2010 was bundled with the laptops and when I try to open it there's options showing that this has been purchased but needs activating. But, I can't find any sticker with an activation key on the computers, on any paperwork or on the boxes in which the laptops came. So, as far as I can tell, no activation keys were supplied. Does anyone know how I can find out the activation keys for this bundle? There seem to be programs available to download that can find them for me(?) but I don't know which one to use. (The children don't like using OpenOffice.)

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Help required on 2 things:

Found this site re: the MS Office 2010 that might help.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productke … 010key.htm
    Insert witty line here
  6. Thanks for the info.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    plindboe wrote
    Have unzipped Wordpress on my computer, but have no idea what to do now as I can't find any executable file. I'm reading the ReadMe installation guide and I can't make sense of it. I'd have to spend days researching if I want to understand what this "famous 5 minute install" is about.

Makes me hesitant to recommend it to the gf, as I'm practically Bill Gates compared to her when it comes to computers.

Peter smile

You do realise it's not like an installable program, right?
    You need a hosted web site first, and a properly set up database!
    Then you copy the files (through FTP) to the site, and THEN the installation (through your web browser) is a matter of seconds!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about I suggest maybe it's better getting an installation over at wordpress.com, where they already hosts wordpress sites and you only have to register yourself as a new user.

Honestly, I knew f*ck-all about web hosting and blog programs, but I figured it out rather easily.
    If you need some more detailed help, let me know.

plindboe wrote
    Bregt, thanks for the suggestion. beer

On wordpress is there total freedom to change the layout as you see fit?

Peter smile

Yes, but unless you're a bit of a guru with CSS, I'd recommend sticking with one of the kazillion readily available free themes.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Martijn touched on what I did (after looking into the installation thing and realising that I needed somewhere to host things) - "it's better getting an installation over at wordpress.com, where they already hosts wordpress sites and you only have to register yourself as a new user".

It seems easier this way - I'm not that knowledgeable enough to be able to do anything other than choose a style I like and set up my blog with the number of pages I need, layout, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    You do realise it's not like an installable program, right?

Of course I do!!!..now. shame

Martijn wrote
    You need a hosted web site first, and a properly set up database!
    Then you copy the files (through FTP) to the site, and THEN the installation (through your web browser) is a matter of seconds!

If you have no idea what I'm talking about I suggest maybe it's better getting an installation over at wordpress.com, where they already hosts wordpress sites and you only have to register yourself as a new user.

Honestly, I knew f*ck-all about web hosting and blog programs, but I figured it out rather easily.
    If you need some more detailed help, let me know.

Yes, but unless you're a bit of a guru with CSS, I'd recommend sticking with one of the kazillion readily available free themes.

Thanks Martijn! I'll try that out.

Peter wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Thanks, Alan! I'll try it out.

Peter smile
  8. So, I used a product key locator on children's laptops to look for the key for Microsoft Office. It couldn't find any.

It looks like Microsoft have added an app that gives you the impression that Office is pre-installed...but it isn't. Alternate options include trying or buying a new version - people may try this after being frustrated by the failure to activate a supposedly pre-installed version.

It looks like the lack of an Office sticker anywhere wasn't an oversight but does actually mean there is no software pre-installed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yeah, that's what I meant with an installation over at wordpress.com wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    So, I used a product key locator on children's laptops to look for the key for Microsoft Office. It couldn't find any.

It looks like Microsoft have added an app that gives you the impression that Office is pre-installed...but it isn't. Alternate options include trying or buying a new version - people may try this after being frustrated by the failure to activate a supposedly pre-installed version.

It looks like the lack of an Office sticker anywhere wasn't an oversight but does actually mean there is no software pre-installed.

I don't think any new laptop is preinstalled with Office.
    With a retail value of over 400 pounds (if I remember corectly), they'd be stupid to!

What MS does do is often install some sort of "sampler": Outlook Express (formally part of Internet explorer), Wordpad, and some form of Excel "light".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I have an idea on how you can solve all this ...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013 edited
    biggrin yeah

D may have a point there.
  9. It's all about knowing about RELIABLE places to look for WOS and PSE.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The most reliable place I know is the Internet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    cough cough kat cough cough dot cough cough ph
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Demetris wrote
    cough cough kat cough cough dot cough cough ph

Thanks. But I have a rule that I will never use anything that has "torrent" anywhere near the site.
  11. I need some help viewing a specific file format.

Someone has sent me an attached file and their expectation is for me to view the documents (they are things for me to sign and return). However, when I try to open the document it opens in Notepad and it is just gibberish.

The file format is *.msg. I've searched for this format and how to actually view it but it looks like it's really difficult for someone without Outlook to be able to do so. I have asked the sender to send me the documents again in a form I can view (PDF?). Is this probably the best way forward? I don't use Outlook.

Also, this person is a PA for someone else who has probably sent them the documents for forwarding to me. Is the PA forwarding the wrong thing to me (e.g., the message sent to them) or is the documents just in the wrong format?