• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    Fact is, this whole issue is really the drop for me....I like their interface, but there have been too many problems like this and playback of various things. So I've just downloaded Mozilla Firefox and considering switching to that for good.

However, I have a bunch of Opera bookmarks that Firefox won't import, so I have a lot of work ahead of me...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Google Chrome seems to be a bit unstable lately.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor, give yourself a break man and download Chrome. It's ages ahead of other browsers, i don't see why people bug themselves.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I've downloaded Firefox and am currently using that. Spent an hour transferring all the bookmarks too. Let's see how that holds up for now.

I'm through with Opera.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011
    So I've switched to Mozilla Firefox and another problem has surfaced:

I needed the WMP plug-in, and downloaded it accordingly. But even after it has seemingly been installed, I still can't play videos at the site in question. It STILL asks for a plug-in?! Weird.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2011
    Cough
    Chrome
    Cough
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cough
    Chrome
    Cough

Too late now. I've spent too much time transferring all the bookmarks etc. to Firefox, so this will make do for a while before I possibly change again.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2011
    Just downloaded Chrome to give it a shot, and the exact same problem there. Couldn't find a WMP plug-in either. In fact, seems like it tried to use the Firefox one, but that didn't work.

There's apparently a major design flaw with the WMP 11 plug-in used by several sites (including NRK, which I frequent every day). The only browser where it does work is IE.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I have a question about playing DVDs on PCs.

I seem to remember that your PC "remembers" the DVD region and then sets that for all subsequent DVD regions. Is this correct?

Anne has brought 4-5 DVDs that are the equivalent of a CD-R - they are documentaries bought from the BBC that are not available for sale. I am worried that, if I play all of these the PC will remember this format and lock me out from playing "proper" DVDs.

Is this likely?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    I am not familiar with the PC "remembering" what region discs you play.

As far as I recall if you go to My Computer and then Hardware (don't quote me) you can select what region your drive is set to a maximum number of times. Chances are you won't need to change anything.

Or use VLC media player...it doesn't care about region.
  2. Cheers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I know of this region thingie and the fact that you can change a DVD-rom drive up to 5 times to any region you want. But my guess is those DVDs (the BBC docs you mention) are region 0, since they have been written as a DVD-r so they are playable everywhere in the world and will not ask you to change the region on your drive. Just pop a disc in and let it read with your software, and see if anything pops up. Windows will not change the region on its own without your approval.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Cheers.
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011 edited
    I was deleting some WinRaR files but then I lost the underlying folder with the uncompressed music. Then when I restored the WinRaR files, I didn't get all of WinRaR files back. And my recycle folder is empty. So where did the other files go?
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. Could all the files have come to the greater volume of your recycle folder and the remaining files directly deleted as though you had emptied the recycle folder?

I know that sometimes if I am deleting a lot of files I get a warning that the volume is too large for the size allocated for the recycle bin. I have to agree that these extra files will be deleted without going first into the recycle bin. I have always assumed that these files would be lost unless I used some sort of recovery program that recovers files that have been emptied from the recycle bin by mistake.

I may just be talking rubbish, if I am not then you may have permanently lost the files that you are missing.
  6. I have an email account from when I first started on the internet and it gets lots and lots of spam emails that usually go straight to the "junk mail" folder. Which is fine. When I go to delete them I just make sure nothing that I want has gone there by mistake before I hit the button. Easy.

But for the last couple of days I've had no spam emails to this account AT ALL!! I can't believe that all spam emails have stopped - I would have heard that on the news. And I am still getting genuine emails in my Inbox. Could it be that there is now a beefed-up security system that is efficiently stopping these spam emails getting to my account?

I always found it weird that the system would highlight spam emails with a great by **SPAM** and still forward them to me (I suppose so that I could check them myself). Maybe now they are just deleting them themselves. But it does seem a bit weird not getting any spam emails!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cough
    Chrome
    Cough

Too late now. I've spent too much time transferring all the bookmarks etc. to Firefox, so this will make do for a while before I possibly change again.

It's way easy to export html bookmarks and import them in any other browser.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Cough
    Chrome
    Cough

It's way easy to export html bookmarks and import them in any other browser.

Firefox couldn't import Opera bookmarks.

But all that is past anyway. I now use Chrome, and it had no problem importing the html bookmarks from Firefox.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2011
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor, give yourself a break man and download Chrome. It's ages ahead of other browsers, i don't see why people bug themselves.

Chrome has bugs. I just tried to sign up for a rebate program and it wouldn't work. When I switched to IE8 it worked. I like Chrome because it is vastly superior speed wise but this isn't the first time I've had issues.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Chrome has bugs. I just tried to sign up for a rebate program and it wouldn't work. When I switched to IE8 it worked. I like Chrome because it is vastly superior speed wise but this isn't the first time I've had issues.
    Tom

Maybe the programming of the page you tried to access had bugs instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The company said point blank that they were having issues with Chrome.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    Is it possible to do a messageboard with wordpress?
    tom
  7. sdtom wrote
    Is it possible to do a messageboard with wordpress?
    tom

Putting "wordpress" and "messageboard" into Google I found this:

http://bbpress.org/

Is this something you could use? Maybe Erik or Bregt could help answer this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2011
    hopefully they will answer
  8. sdtom wrote
    hopefully they will answer

Looking at their site and a google search should give you a head start.
  9. A computer-related issue may turn this into a really shitty day. Will report back soon.
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    A computer-related issue may turn this into a really shitty day. Will report back soon.

I think that I may have recovered things now!

Since the turn of the year I have been thinking of updating my free version of Avira AntiVir software from the old version 10.x to the new and sparkly 2012 version. Why try to fix something that wasn't broken? But last night I decided to give it a try anyway...things seemed to go okay and I went to bed last night pretty sure that the software update had gone okay: the update progressed normally and the program seemed to be working okay when I checked it.

But this afternoon when I fired up the laptop I found that there was something missing from the updated version and this meant that I did not have any antivirus software protection in place - and there seemed to be no way of updating the current version further (a scheduler didn't seem to be working).

Okay, I checked the various Avira forums and had a look around and it seemed that this was a reported problem and that an update would soon be coming. Someone suggested (not to me directly) that reverting back to an older version (the one that I had previous to the update (and which is still being supported with regular new virus definitions, etc)) would be a good place to go in the meantime.

Good. A plan. However, searching REVO Uninstaller's list of installed programs I could not find any sign of the Avira program and checking CCleaner and Windows Control Panel's uninstall functions I still could not find any sign of the antivirus program. Bugger. How could I uninstall a program if I can't actually find the program?

Further reading of the forum found a suggestion that the only option to get rid of the program was to do a clear reconfiguration of the hard disk - which I thought was a bit extreme!

Luckily, I thought that it might be a good idea to do a Restore Point prior to upgrading the antivirus software (I tend to do a manual one just in case an automatic one is not done). So, I signed on as the administrator, found the relevant Restore Point and tried to restore the laptop back to before the antivirus upgrade. Long story is that the the restoration failed to happen completely probably (the computer suggested) because of some security program that was running in the background prevented the restore point completing fully. So I had to restore the computer back to post-Avira update!! Bugger.

It looked like I would need to enter the scary realm of Safe Mode.

Entering Safe Mode it seemed that all internet connection was severed (good because I wanted to do this anyway) and it looked as though all security software had been disabled - certainly the newer version of the Avira had been switched off. So it looked like I was "go" for the Restore Point.

And I sit here now apparently with a computer that is in a state the same as it was last night before I tried to update the software. And there seems to be no ill effects of the whole process. The Avira software is back to version 10.x, the protection seems to be up and, now the program appears in the list of installed programs wherever I look.

I know people poo-poo Windows but this System Restore facility seems to have been a godsend for me in this case.

The day may not turn shitty after all - at least, not from what appears to be a dodgy, badly-prepared antivirus update.
  11. Is there a way to test how well my antivirus package is at detecting threats? Doing something dodgy is an option but I am looking for something like the internet speed connection-testing sites you find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2012
    Does anyone know how you record video of what you do on your desktop?

I want to make a 'how to' video for someone.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2012
    Anyone?
    I am extremely serious.