• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2011
    Actually, it wasn't, just an invitation to the tournament along with the time and date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Can anyone tell me what was written in my name??? spin

It was something along the lines of "You're all twats but especially you James."

LOL! biggrin

I got the invitation too, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    p.s. Can anyone tell me what was written in my name??? spin

It was something along the lines of "You're all twats but especially you James."

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Actually, it wasn't, just an invitation to the tournament along with the time and date.

Oh.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011
    Because i got some messages asking why i blocked people on facebook, to anyone interested, I didn't block you but i permanently erased my facebook account. I am on twitter (christodec) again if anyone interested smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Could never get into Twitter. I'm on it but never use it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Twitter for me is an extension of Facebook. I don't write tweets but my Facebook feed is shared on Twitter.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, not there much either, facebook was just too much for me; too much garbage and too much time wasting.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011 edited
    Isn't Twitter a completely different thing from Facebook?

It's more like a mini-blog, a way to make public your writings (opinions or diaries or whatever) and share information.
    It's also a way to discuss things, even though it's not the most suitable tool for it.
    (And yes, it's also a great tool to spread wrong information and pseudoscience about radiation effects tongue )

Facebook seems to be designed for more private use. It's more like sending a private mail to multiple friends...

But maybe, I think so because of my language... with 140 characters you can tell more in Japanese than in English (and probably other European languages). You can tell even more with 140 Chinese characters on their fake "Twitter" (aka Weibo) wink

Anyway, they're just tools, so it depends on how you use them.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    I'm more a Retwitter than Twitter, though biggrin
  1. Miya wrote
    I'm more a Retwitter than Twitter, though biggrin

You certainly are.

Miya, I am completely ignorant about the Japanese language and I assume that individual characters in Japanese have a lot of meaning in them?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. The kanji signs are basically single words, yes. And other Japanese alphabets are syllabic.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Cheers.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    ah he can explain better than me wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011
    Last week we had a discussion here about facebook. Well, not here, I think it was the Zimmer topic, but anyway...

Then this week I got an e-mail from the writers club I'm in and we use a private forum to share writings and give feedback, but then some of us thought since most people use facebook, we could make a group on facebook and use that too or instead.

Some people replied that they didn't have a facebook account and didn't want to sign up just for this.
    Some people said they have facebook but hardly use it or don't want to mix that with the writing stuff.
    And some said they use facebook all the time so no problem starting a group there.

The replies were extensive and interesting so I asked if it would be nice to write an article about facebook, how we all use it and why it's a good thing or a horrible thing, etc. So I'm curious for your opinions too, although it has been discussed before probably.

Like I said, I prefer to use it in a way that brings only positive things such as inspiring videos, photos and links. I avoid sharing too personal things and I don't want a facebook app on my 24/7 mobile phone. Sometimes I wonder if I could quit. Recently some interesting links and videos have been posted that I wuold have missed if I was not on facebook! So that makes it worth it for me.

Who would like to discuss this?
    How do you use facebook? Do you know all your 'friends' or do you add people you want to follow too? How personal are your own updates? Are you bothered about privacy, especially from the marketing point of view? Etc.

If you reply I'll probably use it in the article without mentioning your name of course, but let me know if you don't want that. It's for a magazine from the Young Dutch Humanist Association, it's called the Spino, and there are only 200 prints, 3 times a year. (Dutchies who are interested can have a look at the website, the Spino's are there in PDF too.)

I am a white tiger.
  4. I visit Facebook every day to see what people are saying. I also have an app on my phone so I can follow things too - our PC is not on all day and I tend to use my phone as a web browser a lot.

People I follow? Mostly people I know whether I have met them or know them through forums. So it is old work friends, friends from personal life, a few people who I know from school, film music forum members and composers. When I first started using social network things there was a bit of a buzz being accepted as a "friend" by people whose music I admire. But that feeling wore off pretty quickly.

I tend not to post too often and when I do it tends to be me mentioning what I listen to or what I am drinking or letting people know about my reviews. I would say that I post more in response to other peoples' comments rather than post my own things. I also "check-in" somewhere if I think that anyone would be interested.

I don't accept everyone who sends a friend request. I do that only for people I know or for people who I would have a reason to follow.i

I try to be as civil to people as I would if they were stood in front of me: I don't seem to be as liberated by the keyboard as some seem to be.

I don't particularly like the way the layout is constantly changing. And I have tried to set up my privacy settings so that my comments are not beamed to the world. I don't use any of Facebook's game apps, don't tend to participate in their polls or questions that I see being used by others.

I like how people can share their photos and how photos and videos that are of interest are brought to my attention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I try to be as civil to people as I would if they were stood in front of me: I don't seem to be as liberated by the keyboard as some seem to be.

biggrin

Wise, wise words indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I actually think I am more polite and friendly and correct on the internet!

Face to face I can be very quiet, so also a bit not-caring. I told many times before that I'm a better writer than talker, which means I more easily write 'how are you?', 'that's nice' and 'thank you' than I would say it!
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    How do you use facebook?

I check it frequently, desperate to find something of interest, but most facebook friends don't really post too often. Luckily a few do, and it's nice to read about their experiences in life. Even if I'm not a good socializer in real life, people do interest me, and I like to know what they get up to. So facebook is a nice and easy way of "spying".

Bregje wrote
    Do you know all your 'friends' or do you add people you want to follow too?

I know most, online and offline, some better than others, but I have added a couple of composers that I don't really know in real life. Perhaps I'll unfriend them as I'm not really too fascinated by what they have to say.

Bregje wrote
    How personal are your own updates?

Nothing very personal. Just a few videos with some comedy stuff or music. I'm more of a facebook lurker.

Bregje wrote
    Are you bothered about privacy, especially from the marketing point of view? Etc.

The only marketing I'm concerned about is someone sending me spam because they see my mail address on facebook. That's why I recently made my account for facebook friends only. I don't really care that someone records my interests and sells them to a company, and I'll end up seeing a banner or something on some website, as I'm unaffected by online ads.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011 edited
    Bregje wrote
    How do you use facebook?

Every day, several times a day. I use it for social events, storing photos, keeping potential job connections alive, linking to Montages articles I've written and in general keeping up-to-date with my network. This is 100% crucial and essential in a dreary everyday life plagued by several chronic illnesses etc. I'm not addicted to it, though, if I'm on....let's say....a holiday somewhere. Then the holiday steps in for the vacant spot that facebook fills. I also have a Twitter account, but haven't really used it. One social network is enough, really

Do you know all your 'friends' or do you add people you want to follow too?

I do know who all of them are, yes (572 at the present time), but only some of them would be labelled friends, of course (and even fewer of them close friends). I sometimes get friend requests from people I don't know (but who may know me back from my celebrity days etc.), but I don't add them. In fact, I recently cleaned up my account and removed all of those. I now have a criterion that I must have a connection to the person somehow.

The exception, being, of course, if it's a hot, single babe! smile

How personal are your own updates?

Depends. Sometimes personal (if I have something worthwhile to share), other times just a link to an article I've written, a funny video etc. But like Alan, I respond to other people more often than I update my own profile. I don't want other people to feel like I'm spamming them with constant piss about nothing.

Are you bothered about privacy, especially from the marketing point of view? Etc.

Nope, not at all. I select carefully which pictures from my trips etc. that I want to share, and if some corporation wants to make use of that in a commercial somewhere, be my guest! I use facebook also as a way to host pictures from my various trips etc., and to get immediate feedback on them from my entire network. That's what pictures are for. However, I make sure that I don't put out bad pictures of friends and occasionally even ask them for permission first -- especially if they're more privacy-centered than I am.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2011
    Thank you all for your extensive replies! kiss Interesting to read and it will help me write my little article.

I was thinking about this yesterday: I use facebook differently now than the first years. Back then I uploaded a lot of private things like photos of family stuff. Still, even now that I don't feel the need to do that anymore, I also can't be bothered to take some albums off. So the photos are still there. But I don't seem to care.

Also I was thinking about how well I know the 'friends'. Perhaps Demetris was a bit more right than I thought when he said 'of course you don't know everyone in the friend list'. OK, I don't add strangers just for boobies (!), but I do add strangers I'd like to follow such as composers and comedians. Once they are 'friends' they can see everything in my private profile while I don't really know them... Also, people from primary school for instance are not strangers, but really, do you still know them after 20 years?

By the way, we saw a comedian last night in the theatre, Micha Wertheim, who talked a bit about facebook too. He was saying everything bad about it, but then explained that's how it works. Comedians make fun of everything that is new. And then when everyone uses it, the joke is gone and they make new jokes about what is new then. He is on facebook too. Interesting show by the way, he is a clever comedian.

Just thinking out loud here. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    Was thinking about my writings, how to share them... I tried Google Translate which was, of course, horrible.
    Perhaps some day I'll take the time to translate myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Question 1: how do you post videos in a reply / comment, so that the video thumbnail is visible?

Question 2: why are some video thumbnails not visible or... small and weird? Anyone else having the same problem?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    Bregje wrote
    Question 1: how do you post videos in a reply / comment, so that the video thumbnail is visible?

Just post the link, but don't push OK too quickly!
    I found that if I do that, no thumbnail is added.

Question 2: why are some video thumbnails not visible or... small and weird? Anyone else having the same problem?

See above. smile
    (Although I have no problem with "small and weird". That said, on my iPad, thumbnails are too *big*, so it may be due to whatever platform you are using?)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. I had an instance where a thumbnail photo of a review CD cover did not load when it should have. This happened even when I reloaded it. I couldn't work out why this happened.
  6. Just had to change my contact email in my Facebook profile back to my Hotmail account from Facebook's own address that I seemed to get when I created my account.

It is a bit worrying - though not surprising - that Facebook did this without letting users know. Rather, I found this via Twitter and BBC News.