• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

First time I listened to this I thought it was terrible, second time not so bad, third time I'm afraid it's gone back to terrible. This is the kind of music which has so obviously been written on a computer and however talented the orchestrators (they do their best), it just sounds so utterly simplistic it can't satisfy me. It's like one of those video game scores that everyone raves about but which I'm sure given two or three minutes on a computer I could write something just as good. Not impressive at all.

Word. As i said: plain and soulless.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Alexandre Desplat apparently. Justin Boggan posted the news on Emile's JNH/Silvestri forum. In which case we still may get a very very good score. It's just disappointing for me, for obvious reasons. slant

Well, if it stays with Desplat I'm not quite so disappointed anymore.

I'm sure Michael will disagree, but I wonder whether we'll end up with another New World situation here. Like Horner, Desplat's quite a formal, rigid composer and I'm not sure that's what would ever work in a Malick film - Morricone and Zimmer are much more fluid in their approach, happy to score ideas rather than scenes, which is perhaps why their music worked so well in his earlier films.

Yes, I'm sure my capacity for irony will be tested if my favourite director and composer don't get on. (And Desplat has a very austere sound too.) I do think, based on his French scores, that he's probably going to find it easier to score without picture. In French films, the paradigm is a lot closer to Malick's method of having a bunch of music written for the film, with director and editor using it freely in terms of its positioning against the action.

However when it comes to Desplat and TREE OF LIFE, until I hear about from Mikael, I'm still not convinced it's actually happening. There was talk of this back in January, and it seems to me that the rumour has resurfaced, but without anyone saying that it's actually true.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Southall wrote
    It's like one of those video game scores that everyone raves about but which I'm sure given two or three minutes on a computer I could write something just as good. Not impressive at all.

IMHO, it's this kind of thought that devalue your credibility as a "reviewer".
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's like one of those video game scores that everyone raves about but which I'm sure given two or three minutes on a computer I could write something just as good. Not impressive at all.

IMHO, it's this kind of thought that devalue your credibility as a "reviewer".

Lighten up, it's just an opinion rolleyes

NP : THE BIG GUNDOWN - Ennio Morricone

Love this! There's just nothing not to like punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote

It's one that make him the fool for thinking that anyone could write anything of substance in 2-3 minutes. I swear, he sounded like he's absolutely sure he could write it shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's one that make him the fool for thinking that anyone could write anything of substance in 2-3 minutes. I swear, he sounded like he's absolutely sure he could write it shocked

Maybe he can, I don't know!? wink

Only James can answer you.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Lp, James doesn't need to prove his credibility or anything else to anyone; just do a check-up and don't be naive. Anyone who doesn't agree with you, that doesn't make him a bad reviewer or less credible or any other crap like that; James might have exaggerates from time to time (who doesn't anyway?) but while i not always i agree with him, he makes some very good points and his contribution is largely respected, not only in this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Moulin Rouge Promo - Craig Armstrong

Lovely compilation. I would love to get a copy of the instrumental backing for all of the tracks. No one can do moody and tragedy and romance like Craig Armstrong can. His orchestral writing is similar to how John Barry does it, IMO, with lots of dense and slow strings accented by an instrumental solo or choir. Good stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hell, I like Clone Wars and I kind of agree with him. biggrin (Southall that is.)
  2. lp wrote
    Timmer wrote

You can't have been reading his reviews that diligently if you take anything Southall says that seriously. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lp, James doesn't need to prove his credibility or anything else to anyone; just do a check-up and don't be naive. Anyone who doesn't agree with you, that doesn't make his a bad reviewer or less credible or any other crap like that; James might have exaggerates from time to time (who doesn't anyway?) but while i not always i agree with him, he makes some very good points and his contribution is largely respected, not only in this forum.

And you don't need to come to everyone's rescue. What should I do a checkup on regarding James? I don't have a problem with James or his reviews, especially with his view on this Star Wars version, but sometime, stupid exaggerations deserve something alike in response.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Steven wrote
    Hell, I like Clone Wars and I kind of agree with him. biggrin (Southall that is.)

Agreed! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote

You can't have been reading his reviews that diligently if you take anything Southall says that seriously. biggrin

Not on this forum though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hey, HEY, HEY! Didn't you know i am the main peacekeeping Force in here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    hey, HEY, HEY! Didn't you know i am the main peacekeeping Force in here?

The first step to recovery is admitting you're addicted to lolcats, but I think you should seek professional help.
  3. lp wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

Not on this forum though.

You're not communicating what you think you are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Lp, James doesn't need to prove his credibility or anything else to anyone; just do a check-up and don't be naive. Anyone who doesn't agree with you, that doesn't make his a bad reviewer or less credible or any other crap like that; James might have exaggerates from time to time (who doesn't anyway?) but while i not always i agree with him, he makes some very good points and his contribution is largely respected, not only in this forum.

And you don't need to come to everyone's rescue. What should I do a checkup on regarding James? I don't have a problem with James or his reviews, especially with his view on this Star Wars version, but sometime, stupid exaggerations deserve something alike in response.

Yes, it was a stupid exaggeration, but somehow it seemed kinder than saying what I really thought - which was that this guy is clearly a completely clueless composer. Really. I'd much rather listen to some pop orchestral stuff from Zimmer than this kind of composed-on-computer garbage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    You're not communicating what you think you are.

confused You're guessing that I'm thinking that kitty want some candy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Yes, it was a stupid exaggeration, but somehow it seemed kinder than saying what I really thought - which was that this guy is clearly a completely clueless composer. Really. I'd much rather listen to some pop orchestral stuff from Zimmer than this kind of composed-on-computer garbage.

LOL, that was harsh shocked . I like honesty best. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Cutthroat Island

Good score. I think this IS John Debney's masterpiece. Nothing he's done so far came close in term of sheer orchestral volume this thing has. The demo track is amazingly good, and let you hear how cheesy this score would have been if it had been performed on a synthesizer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP - Cutthroat Island

Good score. I think this IS John Debney's masterpiece. Nothing he's done so far came close in term of sheer orchestral volume this thing has. The demo track is amazingly good, and let you hear how cheesy this score would have been if it had been performed on a synthesizer.

On terms of sheer orchestral volume, you're right but in general musical quality (without dismissing the former's value) and emotional impact, i think PASSION OF THE CHRIST and THE PASSION SYMPHONY outdoes everything he has ever done, by far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP - Cutthroat Island

On terms of sheer orchestral volume, you're right but in general musical quality (without dismissing the former's value) and emotional impact, i think PASSION OF THE CHRIST and THE PASSION SYMPHONY outdoes everything he has ever done, by far.

I think the emotions are there in CutThroat as well. Sure, it's on a much GRANDER scale but they are there. But Passion... even more so the Symphony are up there with Debney's greatest accomplishments.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    lp wrote
    NP - Cutthroat Island

Indeed. As much as I like Cutthroat Island, The Passion (specially the Symphony) are his best achievements so far.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Frankly and realistically speaking, i don't think he'll ever surpass those works.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE FLY - Howard Shore

It's late and I wanted something spooky and that's what I got! Yes indeedy cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE FLY - Howard Shore

It's late and I wanted something spooky and that's what I got! Yes indeedy cool

And pushing the horror bar up a bit more....

NP : HELLBOUND : HELLRAISER II - CHRISTOPHER YOUNG

Encompass me oh glorious darkness! punk cool devil
    • CommentAuthorKatiek
    Zoya by William Goldstein - about half way through it so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I played two phenomenal albums this evening.

First was an LP rip of Miklos Rozsa conducts His Great Film Music which I consider to be one of the top ten re-recordings of all time. I hope one day this great release gets a proper remastering and premiere CD release. Every track is gold including the Young Bess suite which has me itching to hear Elmer Bernstein's interpretation of it when I receive my Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection Box Set.

The second album I listened to was Charles Gerhardt's magnificent re-recording of Erich Wolfgang Korngold's King's Row I think I'm going to import the disc into Adobe Audition, and edit down and seperate the individual tracks. Two massive 24 minute suites is not the best way to present this album especially when I want a few of the cues in the middle of each suite in "My Favorites" playlist. Anyway, this album contains great sound and a brilliant interpretation of one of the best scores ever written. And for those that love to hear a main theme repeated numerous times this score is for you. Usually such an approach turns me off but when you have a theme like the theme ftom King's Row you want to hear it as much as possible!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    First was an LP rip of Miklos Rozsa conducts His Great Film Music which I consider to be one of the top ten re-recordings of all time. I hope one day this great release gets a proper remastering and premiere CD release. Every track is gold including the Young Bess suite which has me itching to hear Elmer Bernstein's interpretation of it when I receive my Elmer Bernstein Film Music Collection Box Set.

Sounds interesting. I've got a phenomenal 16-minute suite from Young Bess on a Rozsa compilation on the Citadel label with the RPO conducted by Rainer Padberg. The album also includes some tracks conducted by Bernstein. I used to listen to it a lot and you've inspired me to dig it out for the first time in a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Prince of Egypt - Hans Zimmer

Amazing! One of the best scores ever by HZ!! biggrin