• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    And the prize for Most Enigmatic Post In The Last Ten Minutes goes tooooooo... LP! :punk!
    Congratulations! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    wave Thank you, I tried. kiss wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

The best release this year imo cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - golden compass

Much, much better than what i remember it to be.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. David wrote
    NP: Dark City - Trevor Jones

I don't have that many Trevor Jones soundtracks, but of those I do have, this ranks at the top of them. "You have the power" is an absolutely amazing cue. Especially when it's played LOUD!

All soundtracks I have of him (The Mighty, Merlin, GI Jane), are of the same period, his best IMO and Dark City ranks among the best he ever did. Too bad only half of the album is filled with the actual score. I absolutely adore the dark opener 'Into the City', the soft and subtle 'Emma' and of course his most memorable finale in 'You Have the Power', the emotion that is released during the climax still gets to me when I see the film or listen to the CD. Powerful stuff!!!

Timmer wrote
    NP : HEAVY METAL - Elmer Bernstein

The best release this year imo cool

Oh I must listen to it again, on my first try I wasn't overwhelmed by it. And I want to like it!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    David wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Medal of Honor Compilation (M. Giacchino / C. Lennertz)

What´s great about this saga is that there´s so much awesome material that you can do a different compilation once a week and enjoy the listening experience every time.

Both composers did a great job. Lennertz was the perfect choice to take over the series from Giacchino.

-Erik-

I only have European Assault -- which I enjoy very much. How are Lennertz's other efforts in the series?

Medal of Honor Rising Sun and Medal of Honor Pacific Assault . Try to listen ASAP the first one, really good. The second is not available if I´m not mistaken, but I think lot of the music is from Rising Sun (please somebody correct me if I´m wrong, because I didn´t play Pacific Assault and couldn´t compare).

I'm not familiar with Pacific Assault but European Assault contains one of my favorite Lennertz themes... Dogs of Wars. Actually, it's one of the best MOH themes.

I think you can get all the MOH scores through iTunes. However, you might want to check other avenues to find DRM Free files with higher bit rates. Try nettwerk.com and Amazon.

-Erik-

Indeed, they are all available. Although Pacific Assault only had about 15 minutes of new material written for it - the rest was ripped from Rising Sun. IMHO, the Pacific Assault main theme is almost as good as the Dogs Of War one. wink
  2. For some reason I never really like Lennertz entries for the MOH games, whereas all Giacchino's simply rock!!! For me Lennertz sounds too much like mickey mousing, never really creating consistent melodies or brilliant action/suspense like his predecessor can. I was more than a little glad when Michael was back on board for MOH: Airborne. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Patton Jerry Goldsmith

If film scores were made by gods...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twilight Zone: The Moving Motion Picture For Release In Cinemas Totally Not Like The Show On TV Jerry Goldsmith

I'd forgotten how inventive this score was! Even without the theme (one of Jerry's best), it would still make for a great listen.
    shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Patton Jerry Goldsmith

They are. This is Why Zimmer and Powell are scoring so many movies punk

NP:Basic Instic (GOldsmith)

In my top 5.

I want to be inside of Sharon Stone..
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Twilight Zone: The Moving Motion Picture For Release In Cinemas Totally Not Like The Show On TV Jerry Goldsmith

I'd forgotten how inventive this score was! Even without the theme (one of Jerry's best), it would still make for a great listen.
    shocked

I listened to Nightmare At 30,000 ft once while on a flight back from Morocco on a Friday 13th cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    For me Lennertz sounds too much like mickey mousing, never really creating consistent melodies or brilliant action/suspense like his predecessor can

shocked shocked confused

No melodies? Dude his main themes are really melodic and addictive!
    No brilliant action cues? Check them out again!

DreamTheater wrote
    I was more than a little glad when Michael was back on board for MOH: Airborne.

I wouldn´t have cared if Lennertz had done it, but also glad to see Giacchino back to the franchise he started.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote
    Patton Jerry Goldsmith

They are. This is Why Zimmer and Powell are scoring so many movies punk

NP:Basic Instic (GOldsmith)

In my top 5.

I want to be inside of Sharon Stone..

Just Stone will do! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

I listened to Nightmare At 30,000 ft once while on a flight back from Morocco on a Friday 13th cool

You're a braver man than I. I could only bare to listen to Williams' The Terminal... while in the terminal.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

shocked

You're a braver man than I. I could only bare to listen to Williams' The Terminal... while in the terminal.

It was ( so far ) the one and only time I listened to film music on a plane, obviously not counting in-flight movies; I also listened to Star Trek TMP on the same flight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    I always listen United 93 when i take a flight. Seriously.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

Somehow that doesn't surprise me! wink

NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

This is the original representation of the album, I find it far more digestable than the expanded original tracks, probably because I spent years and years listening to this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote

Why?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    For me Lennertz sounds too much like mickey mousing, never really creating consistent melodies or brilliant action/suspense like his predecessor can

shocked shocked confused

DreamTheater wrote

I wouldn´t have cared if Lennertz had done it, but also glad to see Giacchino back to the franchise he started.

As much as I loved the fact Giacchino was back, I can't help but feel Airborne is his weakest MOH score. It was missing that "fun" factor that was so apparent in every other one. I know he was aiming to create a more aggressive score, and he suceeded, but it wasn't the score I hoping for.
  3. Marselus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

shocked shocked confused

DreamTheater wrote

Well yeah, main themes are OK, it's just his style of composing I'm not too fond of, like in Rising Sun his cues can seem all over the place, without any sense of consistency or thematic glue as I like to call it. Giacchino is a master at this.

And the main theme of European Assault is indeed lovely, but it's maybe one of the few highlights on that album. And Pacific Assault is pretty bland IMO.

Anthony wrote

As much as I loved the fact Giacchino was back, I can't help but feel Airborne is his weakest MOH score. It was missing that "fun" factor that was so apparent in every other one. I know he was aiming to create a more aggressive score, and he suceeded, but it wasn't the score I hoping for.

No masterpiece like Frontline was, but pretty good still, very high on the intensity meter, always loved his percussive buildup in some cues. It's a score you need to grow into, like his 'Secret Weapons over Normandy'.
  4. Untraceable: Christopher Young

Boring

confused confused 1/2

-------------------------------------------------------

Sleepwalking: Christopher Young

Now this is a lovely score, much more suitable to listen to

smile smile smile 1/2

-------------------------------------------------------

Hellboy 2: Danny Elfman

All nicely written, but where's the theme? Where's any theme? Why did Beltrami not score this? angry

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : E.T. - John Williams

No. Words. Needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bear McCreary - Eureka On My Mind (Eureka Main Title)
    from Eureka

Samples sound good, so I'm ordering it cheesy
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Spiderwick Chronicles - James Horner

"The Flight of the Griffin" - wow. All that film music can be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The New World - James Horner

Goodness, this must be the most beautiful album of the last decade. A stunner.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    NP : E.T. - John Williams

No. Words. Needed.

Quiet. You're talking too much!! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

I agree.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Agree; such a soothing listen and beautiful music. Disagree on Spiderwick though, can't understand what's getting you excited about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Agree; such a soothing listen and beautiful music. Disagree on Spiderwick though, can't understand what's getting you excited about it.

Flight of the Griffin is indeed exciting and shows some real promise as to what the rest of the score COULD have been like. It's one of Horner's very best cues of the decade.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rian wrote
    Bear McCreary - Eureka On My Mind (Eureka Main Title)
    from Eureka

Samples sound good, so I'm ordering it cheesy

Any similarities to BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?