• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Having played previously:

THE SEA INSIDE (Mar adentro) - Alejandro Amenábar

Want a hint where to find truly intriguing modern film music? Turn to Spain; you'll find it all; in a score so few sadly know about, Alejandro Amebabar - director and composer of the movie, created a subtly fragile and deeply sentimental score you rarely hear in this way; soothing strings and painfully (if you've watched the film) mesmerizing and beautiful themes make up one of the most sentimental film music experiments i had during the last 10 years.

More 'evidence' on Spain's superiority when it comes to modern film music:

ALBERTO IGLESIAS - film music compilation

Top class, full of emotions.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    NP - For Your Eyes Only - Bill Conti

70s music FTW!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    More 'evidence' on Spain's superiority when it comes to modern film music:

I don´t know if "superiority" is the word I´d choose, but certainly very good music, specially recommended for those of you seeking for more traditional approaches to film scoring, very appropriate now that we´ve been passionately discussing this issue the past few days.

I agree with you about The Sea Inside by the way. A very difficult film to socre due to the story; Amenabar succeeded.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    lp wrote

70s music FTW!!!!

Absolutely! "A Drive in the Country" in still one of my favorite Bond tracks, despite how much it has aged.

NP: Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Williams action adventure writing may not be as memorable or exciting as it once was, but the same cannot be said of his dramatic writing. For me, this is certainly his most accomplished score of the decade and ranks among his best works yet. Beautiful and longing themes, interesting rhythmic devices, and great underscore makes this score an absolute must have.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    The New World - James Horner

Goodness, this must be the most beautiful album of the last decade. A stunner.

Agree; such a soothing listen and beautiful music. Disagree on Spiderwick though, can't understand what's getting you excited about it.

Flight of the Griffin is indeed exciting and shows some real promise as to what the rest of the score COULD have been like. It's one of Horner's very best cues of the decade.

-Erik-

Yeah, I was only really referring to that specific cue. I like the album as a whole - but that one cue is the clear highlight.
  1. NP Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Haven't listened to this for quite a while (since the Oscar night, in fact!). Still a great listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

70s music FTW!!!!

Yikes! shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : E.T. - John Williams

No. Words. Needed.

Quiet. You're talking too much!! wink

I think you'll find that from the point I put that album on I said nothing at all...zero, nada! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I agree.

cool beer
  2. NP: Delerue scores

I'm in a dangerous place. I've mostly been playing Delerue and nothing else for the last week. Revisiting the whole canon, thanks to the rebirth of my passion for his music inspired by the new Cinemusique album 'Themes for Flute and Oboe'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Delerue scores

I'm in dangerous place. I've mostly been playing Delerue and nothing else for the last week. Revisiting the whole canon, thanks to the rebirth of my passion for his music inspired by the new Cinemusique album 'Themes for Flute and Oboe'.

Inspiring post!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. No question about it. I got it real bad! spin

NP: Ipod shuffle on Delerue cues - now playing Contempt, just played A Man in Love (WOW), and next up is Rich and Famous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

70s music FTW!!!!

Yikes! shocked

It's no crime to enjoy some guilty classics... cool

Like how the some of the classic action adventures of the 30s and 40s have some really cheesy dialogues and action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer

It's HORRIBLE rains and thunderstorms here, and I'm in that dark, ambient mood. Perfect!! cheesycheesycheesycheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer

It's HORRIBLE rains and thunderstorms here, and I'm in that dark, ambient mood. Perfect!! cheesycheesycheesycheesy

Part of the beauty of film music right there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP Atonement - Dario Marianelli

Haven't listened to this for quite a while (since the Oscar night, in fact!). Still a great listen.

It is beautiful indeed; i've rewatched the film on dvd recently and the score (and film) hasn't lost its touch at all. Great stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ANDREW LOCKINGTON - Journey To The Center Of The Earth

Big muscular tone, harmless unoriginality, excellent sound and production overall. Lots of Silvestri
    and Debney references, some Goldenthal-isms on the brass mainly and interweaving typical adventure underscoring make this a non-special but very entertaining neutral listen i am sure will work wonders in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote

It is beautiful indeed; i've rewatched the film on dvd recently and the score (and film) hasn't lost its touch at all. Great stuff.

Sure, the Dunkirk sequence still amazes me, and the ending, with Vanessa Redgrave´s final speech is so touching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote

Sure, the Dunkirk sequence still amazes me, and the ending, with Vanessa Redgrave´s final speech is so touching.

The ending with her speech and the final scene at the beach cottage is one of the strongest experiences i've ever had on film; of course the beautiful piece that accompanied the scene helped a lot but i was already emotionally charged by the flawless movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote

The ending with her speech and the final scene at the beach cottage is one of the strongest experiences i've ever had on film; of course the beautiful piece that accompanied the scene helped a lot but i was already emotionally charged by the flawless movie.

Completely agree. A perfect ending, with no over the top acting nor music to force you to feel the drama. Few films achieve this without tricks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote
    The New World - James Horner

Goodness, this must be the most beautiful album of the last decade. A stunner.

Agree; such a soothing listen and beautiful music. Disagree on Spiderwick though, can't understand what's getting you excited about it.

Flight of the Griffin is indeed exciting and shows some real promise as to what the rest of the score COULD have been like. It's one of Horner's very best cues of the decade.

-Erik-

Yeah, I was only really referring to that specific cue. I like the album as a whole - but that one cue is the clear highlight.

Well...Only because it's Willow+Krull+Casper+Aliens

But Spiderwick is one of the best Horner's score in the last years...

About The New world...Ok sometimes I enjoy it, but it's the most sacharine score I heard since Titanic.

NP:SpiderWick Chronicles (Horner)

It's unfocused and the Synth kills me, but when it's dark and loud it is dynamite horner!

He is still the king of fantasy music. No matter how Shores out there...

Zimmer did some kind of this Job in AWE.

Edit

Changed to
    NP;memoirs of a Geisha

My choose when I have to travel to Asia.

One of my favs of Williams. Even if the main theme is not very inspired, the arrengements are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: X Men 3: Last Stand - John Powell

One of the best Powell scores ever!! punkpunkpunkpunkpunk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

70s music FTW!!!!

Yikes! shocked

It's no crime to enjoy some guilty classics... cool

Like how the some of the classic action adventures of the 30s and 40s have some really cheesy dialogues and action.

I've no problem with "cheesy" or "guilty classics" though I'd rather not refer to them as "guilty" wink It's just For Your Eyes Only, it's horrible, but it is only my opinion wink
  4. Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Completely agree. A perfect ending, with no over the top acting nor music to force you to feel the drama. Few films achieve this without tricks.

I wish they'd used the cue originally written for the ending, 'Atonement', instead of the cue 'The Cottage and the Beach'. Would have struck the right note of remorse for me.

NP: Thibaud and the Crusaders (Delerue)

Ah! What can this man not do with a melody? Clearly he can't make one sound ugly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I can see how people love what HGW has done for the Narnia films. And it works on so many levels, but it also fails on so many more levels - for me, especially for the 2nd movie. I am very confident that David Arnold will deliver something completely different; let's hope it'll be good as well.

I couldn't give a shit about continuity as far as these films go, mostly because they're rubbish. But I would like to hear a decent score out of this whole franchise for once, which is why I'm so very glad Arnold is scoring the third one.

There, an opinion for ya'll. Chew on it if you will.

Oh bloody hell they are rubbish INDEED! But a good score coming out of them (which hasn't been done so far imo and can be possibly achieved via Arnold) is what i am hoping for too. beer

I can see why some people don't like Narnia movies. But I do love these movies, especially the first one, more than the book. I enjoyed the books, though I'm not a big fan (partly because I just can't get into its christian values). I think they made really enjoyable movie out of it.

But this is just an opinion from a Japanese girl who loves Disney films and fluffy talking animals, you know biggrin

NP: The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, And The Wardrobe - HGW

Yep, whatever people say, I really love this score. "Historical Narnia" theme is one of my favorite movie themes of all time. I just feel good when I listen to it. There's no other reason. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. NP: Charles Gerhardt's Re-Recording "Captain from Castile: Classic Film Scores of Alfred Newman"

What else can I say, except that this is such a classic album. cool

PS. I have to dig up Korngold one for another spin!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - omen

What to say about this? Words are insufficient to describe a bit of this work, nor the feelings it evokes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - omen

What to say about this? Words are insufficient to describe a bit of this work, nor the feelings it evokes.

'Scary' seems appropriate.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    JERRY GOLDSMITH - omen

I'll describe it for you.

A choir singing made-up black mass in latin over Stravinskyesque orchestral rhythms.

There you go, always glad to be of service! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Charles Gerhardt's Re-Recording "Captain from Castile: Classic Film Scores of Alfred Newman"

What else can I say, except that this is such a classic album. cool

PS. I have to dig up Korngold one for another spin!

Booya! While Gerhardt's tempo of "Conquest" during the latter half of the Captain Castile suite is slower than the original the power of the perormance by the Band of the Grenadier Guards and the recording by K.E. Wilkonson blows the original and any other recording of this music out of the water. And The Robe suite to end the album... Glorious!

NP: Willow - James Horner

I was inspired by Michael's Delerue post to listen to some of Delerue's music this morning... but before I do so I had to spin Willow. While in the car yesterday, Kunzel's version of the main theme blasted through my speakers and I made a mental note to play the complete album the first chance I had. So, Delerue, your magnificent themes will have to wait for a few hours. BTW, this is the only Horner score where I can tolerate the four-note danger motif. It fits this score the best.

This was one of the first Horner score I heard and it is still magnificent. And I still get goosebumps when the main theme enters in on the pan flute and strings for the first time during "Elora Danan." Aaaaaaaaaah! Scoregasm!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!