• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    DemonStar wrote
    Miya wrote
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

Have I already told you that I love this score? wink

Have I told you I can't live without it? wink biggrin

Hell no, that´s Breaking News! biggrin wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Kung Fu Panda (2 genius)

In my books almost in the same level of The Lion King and Prince OF egypt.

Kung Fu panda perhaps doesn't have the memorable theme, but it is more complex in (real) orchestrations and more diverse. (Im the first to consider Prince of Egypt a classic, but it's a 30 minutes long score and thematically repetitive, wich is not the case of Kung Fu Panda )

So it's one of my favourites scores of both composers.

"sacred pool of tears" is a standout masterpiece. "peach tree of Wisdom" , "oogsay ascends" (dammed where is the version of the movie? with the piano touch?) are impressive dramatic tracks too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They're not geniuses Jordi. Oh, and every time someone mentions The Lion King from now on, I will kill a bunny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    They're not geniuses Jordi. Oh, and every time someone mentions The Lion King from now on, I will kill a bunny.

Hahah! Was thinking to do so as well but then again 1) i don't think i can kill anyone (animals at least biggrin ) and 2) i love bunnies*!

* except for when my grandma cooks them
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Hahah! Was thinking to do so as well but then again 1) i don't think i can kill anyone (animals at least biggrin ) and 2) i love bunnies*!

* except for when my grandma cooks them

The only bunnies i love are the playboy ones.

I prefer Chiken, to eat....Well....I like Playboy bunnies to eat too. biggrin

Oh, and yes...They are geniuses!

(Demonstar you has surpassed my obsession with Happy Feet and AWE with your Obsession with the "________" )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

I like Playboy bunnies to eat too. biggrin

biggrin

Who? The Playboy bunnies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

Prince of Egypt is far better than Kung Fu Panda (as good as this one is) and far far far better than The Lion King (prepared to being shot by some members now). 30 minutes score? Plus the songs, don´t forget them, as they are not stand alone set pieces but songs that follow the action and specially arranged with the score themes.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    Steven wrote

A true genius composer is someone like Vaughan Williams, Beethoven, Mozart. You may prefer Powell's and Zimmer's music to these composers, but geniuses that does not make them. They are very talented, especially Powell, more than many could dream of being... but geniuses that does not make them. Have some perspective Jordi.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Have some perspective Jordi.

I would characterize this as the quote of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Steven wrote

To feed the lions? biggrin

I have some opinions on Prince of Egypt and The Lio... *cough cough* ...ng, but I save it for later wink

NP: Pom Poko - Shang Shang Typhoon

I don't know how much this film is known outside Japan. And I've never seen anyone mention this soundtrack at film music websites. This score is composed & performed by an unique Japanese band.

How can I describe it? It's odd. Bizarre. Crazy. And very fun. They mixed Japanese music with rock, jazz, mambo, samba, country, etc, sometimes quoting traditional folk songs and old children's songs. It's omnivorous, like tanukis (raccoon dogs), as the director said!

I love the movie too. Actually it's my favorite Ghibli movie. Highly recommended! biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote

Kung Fu panda perhaps doesn't have the memorable theme, but it is more complex in (real) orchestrations and more diverse. (Im the first to consider Prince of Egypt a classic, but it's a 30 minutes long score and thematically repetitive, wich is not the case of Kung Fu Panda )

"sacred pool of tears" is a standout masterpiece. "peach tree of Wisdom" , "oogsay ascends" (dammed where is the version of the movie? with the piano touch?) are impressive dramatic tracks too.

It's very good all right (and my favourite of the year so far) but it is nowhere close to Prince Of Egypt or The Lion King (ready to die for my heartthrob!! biggrin ) both of which are IMO the 2 BEST scores ever written by Zimmer! These two have amazing emotional power that is not equaled by KFP IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Right, that's it. I'm going wabbit hunting... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    (Demonstar you has surpassed my obsession with Happy Feet and AWE with your Obsession with the "________" )

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote

Warn 'em before shooting 'em wink tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

After all the preparation and planning I've done to get an inside mole? I think not!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

After all the preparation and planning I've done to get an inside mole? I think not!

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

Try.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

lol
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote
    Have some perspective Jordi.

I would characterize this as the quote of the year.

I've mentioned "perspective" as regards Jordi, it won't work as he's a legend in his own lunch time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Steven wrote

Funniest lolcat I've seen for some time biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Try.

More like he will digest and pass through my arse!

Mmmmmmmm wabbit stew lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Try.

.... T R Y.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Christodoulides wrote
    BEAR MCCREARY - Battlestar Galactica season 3

A phenomenal work overall has been done on this Battlstar Galactica scores and this third score is probably the most diverse and rich. Especially if you consider the age of the composer and the current trends of the business, McCreary has not only created a genuine, own and instantly recognizable sound but he's gone onto levels of musical quality (when it comes to actually creating and evolving through imaginative arrangements and rich instrumentation or profound and meaningful melodic / thematic manipulation) rarely reached by composers of his age and status in our days. I'd say that he's an example to be looked upon by his fellow colleagues, some of them already in the business. Outstanding.

Totally agree! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote

Try.

.... T R Y.

Oh my. Someone has a crash on bunnies. And not even Playboy bunnies!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh my. Someone has a crash on bunnies. And not even Playboy bunnies!

A crash on bunnies?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Nautilus wrote

It's very good all right (and my favourite of the year so far) but it is nowhere close to Prince Of Egypt or The Lion King (ready to die for my heartthrob!! biggrin ) both of which are IMO the 2 BEST scores ever written by Zimmer! These two have amazing emotional power that is not equaled by KFP IMO.

Agree. But How I said, "Sacred pool of tears" or "peach tree of Wisdom" are touching too.

The orchestrations and the thematic body of Kung Fu Panda is far richest than the scores said above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree. But How I said, "Sacred pool of tears" or "peach tree of Wisdom" are touching too.

The orchestrations and the thematic body of Kung Fu Panda is far richest than the scores said above.

Yup, they are, and I love them. But still, not equal to... I said it smile

NP: Aladdin - Alan Menken

One of my most fav Menken scores ever! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Robocop 2 - Leonard Rosenman

...there's...a CHOIR chanting "RoboCop" throughout the main title. shocked
    Holy Batman Theme, Batman!
    shocked

Not a bad score, for the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Robocop 2 - Leonard Rosenman

...there's...a CHOIR chanting "RoboCop" throughout the main title. shocked
    Holy Batman Theme, Batman!
    shocked

Not a bad score, for the rest.

I listened to both this and Basil's score for the first one the other day and enjoyed them both. I don't think I've ever heard the score for part 3 - will try to pick it up.

NP: The Spiderwick Chronicles - Horner

Been on a bit of a Horner rush of late. Very enjoyable album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THOMAS NEWMAN - Lemony Snickett's : a series of unfortunate events

One of my all-time favorite Newman scores and a very dear movie; a wholly unforgettable experience.