• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    What the hell???
    From the Instrada site: "DRG CD has same contents and striking cover art as original Columbia stereo LP"

It's NOT stereo!
    It's MONO!

Am I going mad or is everyone else?
    spin dizzy (Don't answer that. rethorical question)
    James, AntiNeutrino, are your copies stereo?
    (Answer that. Not a rethorical question)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    They can't do a real stereo disc if the originals are in mono; they'll just duplicate the mono, send it to 2 channels and sell it as what's essentially is a pseudo-stereo, both speakers will be playing exactly the same thing.

Except it isn't: it's real proper, "middle of your head" mono mix. Not duplicate or "echoed" stereo.
    This is WEIRD.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    What the hell???
    From the Instrada site: "DRG CD has same contents and striking cover art as original Columbia stereo LP"

It's NOT stereo!
    It's MONO!

Don't expect anyone to admit it's a mono or pseudo-stereo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why not? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'CAuse it won't get potential buyers hot and horny; it's a turn-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin
    You're not wrong there.

But I WOULD pay through the nose for a proper stereo version.
    One of Jarre's most lovely themes.
    One of the best themes in any war film, period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Yeap, granted the originals exist and are in stereo. Otherwise there's nothing you can do about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would be...
    ...disappointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    This is just lovely. LOVELY!
    What an underrated talent this Australian composer is. beautiful, romantic strings and orchestral writing with a true and rare ear for proper melody. I'm enjoying the HECK out of this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ...beautiful........roMaNtic...........STRING!?!?! AND I DON'T HAVE IT ALREADY?! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Martijn wrote
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    What an underrated talent this Australian composer is. beautiful, romantic strings and orchestral writing with a true and rare ear for proper melody. I'm enjoying the HECK out of this!

A wonderful score isn't it! Beautiful themes. Love the use of harp in it too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm *almost* certain though I've heard that harp theme before.
    Is it possible he based it on an old celtic ditty?
    I seem to remember it from an old Clannad or Steeleye Span album...

I may be completely wrong, but it sounds so very familiar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    You may be right. I don't know. I've never heard it anywhere else though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed - Mark Griskey

Just discovered this little gem today on the Internet. A true Star Wars score, and a great addition to the Star Wars universe of film and game music. Lots of Williams-esque scoring may be found here, and there are more than several references to Williams' motifs from the six live action films. It's kind of funny that both this and Kiner's The Clone Wars have been released (well, this one wasn't really released; it's a promo) so close together...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TheTelmarine wrote

It's kind of funny that both this and Kiner's The Clone Wars have been released (well, this one wasn't really released; it's a promo) so close together...

It's for people to observe the huge difference in quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

It's kind of funny that both this and Kiner's The Clone Wars have been released (well, this one wasn't really released; it's a promo) so close together...

It's for people to observe the huge difference in quality.

rolleyes biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Battle Beyond The Stars James Horner

Far from a brilliant performance from the orchestra, and not a particularly full recording, yet early-Horner's music is so irresistible that I don't care! I love this score.

In fact, I kind of like that the recording isn't Mr. Sparkle Fantastic super 24-bit and the orchestra isn't to LSO standards... it all gives it a certain charm IMO. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear a rerecording of this score too.)

Played this a few days ago, very much of it's time but still great fun and shows a composer in his infant stages.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Battle Beyond The Stars James Horner

Far from a brilliant performance from the orchestra, and not a particularly full recording, yet early-Horner's music is so irresistible that I don't care! I love this score.

In fact, I kind of like that the recording isn't Mr. Sparkle Fantastic super 24-bit and the orchestra isn't to LSO standards... it all gives it a certain charm IMO. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear a rerecording of this score too.)

Played this a few days ago, very much of it's time but still great fun and shows a composer in his infant stages.

You know what would be the most awesome thing to happen in the history of mankind? If he adapted and reused the main theme and then used it in Avatar! I don't care if it's not appropriate, that theme is an absolute classic sci-fi theme! [/madfanboymode]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...beautiful........roMaNtic...........STRING!?!?! AND I DON'T HAVE IT ALREADY?! shocked

....rare...true....underrated TALENT!? WHEN DID MARTIJN TURN INTO DEMETRIS!? shocked
  1. Martijn wrote
    What the hell???

It's NOT stereo!
    It's MONO!

My copy definitively has two different channels. I've uploaded a short clip for you so that you can compare (-> http://www-stud.uni-essen.de/~s501097/i … urning.mp3) Maybe it's only faked stereo. I don't have any of the older versions to compare.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I've hit the point where I've got enough Horner in my collection to start hearing how much crap he copies from score to score. It's not nice hearing The Pagemaster in Casper, and Jumanji in Zorro. And I can only imagine it goes way beyond this. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I've hit the point where I've got enough Horner in my collection to start hearing how much crap he copies from score to score. It's not nice hearing The Pagemaster in Casper, and Jumanji in Zorro. And I can only imagine it goes way beyond this. shame

But it's not "crap" that he copies is it? And don't just focus on the negative points of Horner, look at some of the amazing scores and pieces of music he has composed and appreciate that Lord Pessimist!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Reflections Of Earth - Gavin Greenaway

Stop conducting, and compose your own thing! Now! crazy biggrin
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

But it's not "crap" that he copies is it? And don't just focus on the negative points of Horner, look at some of the amazing scores and pieces of music he has composed and appreciate that Lord Pessimist!

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't come up with great stuff, but when I'm listening to a score, I don't want to think "oh here's that cue from *movie* again...".
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't come up with great stuff, but when I'm listening to a score, I don't want to think "oh here's that cue from *movie* again...".

Sadly when you get a lot of scores by pretty much any film composer you start thinking this. Eventually you come to embrace it. And then don't really even notice any more. True, Horner had a phase of being more blatant than some, but looking back now it's hard to believe all the fuss it created about him specifically when everyone does it. If you're just talking about odd moments here and there in a score (which is mostly all it is) then it doesn't really give me a problem any more. The lifts from classical pieces are less forgivable in my eyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    What the hell???

It's NOT stereo!
    It's MONO!

My copy is stereo. Not an especially dynamic range, nor especially impressive sound quality, but it's stereo.
  2. Anthony wrote

Oh you'll get used to it. But that's not necessarily better.

Still when he's original, he can be fantastic.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    This is beyond odd.
    I'll get my Columbia edition out and compare to your clip, AntiNeutrino .

Many thanks for checking, Stefan and James!
  3. NP: Timeline - Brian Tyler

I'll be doing a comparison which one I prefer, this one or the Goldsmith one.

It's all rather listenable in that big Tyler way without the overbearing bombast of AvP: Requiem which gives me a headache. This actually has themes. And some nice themes at that. I like the Night Arrows track with the addictive beat and soft choir. And there's the love theme but I would have liked more variations of that instead of the repetitive action cues which fill the second part of the album.

My rating (out of 5 stars): cheesy cheesy cheesy

Next up Jerry's entry.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.