• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Sorry, but I was speaking more of The Curse of the Black Pearl. I love the three scores a lot, but the main theme just seems a bit overused.

If you mean He's A Pirate music, yeah it was really overused in CoTBP! But then again, overuse of themes is in a lot of other scores too. Like, Hedwig's Theme in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    Like, Hedwig's Theme in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!

I wouldn't know, as I haven't heard that score. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Aliens James Horner

Why does James Horner not credit Strauss? Or Goldsmith for that matter! (Check out 'Futile Escape' to see if it reminds you of a certain 70's Goldsmith score for a certain 70's conspiracy movie.) Plagiarism aside, what a damn fine film score. Say what you will about Horner, when he gets things right, he gets things right!

More to the point why does Horner not credit Aram Khakaturian ( Gayenne Ballet ).

Ooh, 'ang on, I might have got my wires mixed here. Which is the piece used in 2001: A Space Odyssey that Horner used for the main titles? Is that Strauss or Khakaturian? (As in Richard Strauss of course, I'd know my Johann, I'm adamant on that!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Like, Hedwig's Theme in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!

I wouldn't know, as I haven't heard that score. wink

Listen to it! Apart from the repetition stuff, it's one awesome Williams score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Aliens James Horner

Why does James Horner not credit Strauss? Or Goldsmith for that matter! (Check out 'Futile Escape' to see if it reminds you of a certain 70's Goldsmith score for a certain 70's conspiracy movie.) Plagiarism aside, what a damn fine film score. Say what you will about Horner, when he gets things right, he gets things right!

More to the point why does Horner not credit Aram Khakaturian ( Gayenne Ballet ).

Ooh, 'ang on, I might have got my wires mixed here. Which is the piece used in 2001: A Space Odyssey that Horner used for the main titles? Is that Strauss or Khakaturian? (As in Richard Strauss of course, I'd know my Johann, I'm adamant on that!)

It's Khachaturian (or however you spell it) which is one of the reasons Horner doesn't credit Strauss, I guess.

I guess the reason he doesn't credit Khachaturian is the same one that caused Williams not to credit Howard Hanson in ET, or Goldsmith not to credit Leonard Bernstein in LA Confidential, or Zimmer not to credit Wagner and Holst in Gladiator, and blah blah blah blah blah.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Aliens James Horner

Yep, it's the Gayenne Ballet your thinking of. ( and I'm spelling it wrong, it's Khachaturian smile )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?).

Pirates Of Theeeeeeee sleep ? wink

LOL biggrin It's not that bad (IMO, of course).

Only when Jordi plays it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But Williams credited 'When You Wish Upon A Star' for Close Encounters. Not meaning to start a Horner fight here, but I bet all my money (which isn't a lot incidentally) that if it were Horner who had done that, the words 'When You Wish Upon A Star' would not be found anywhere in the liner notes! The Khachaturianianenen piece is SO blatant a note-for-note rip that I'm shocked he wasn't sewed?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    But Williams credited 'When You Wish Upon A Star' for Close Encounters. Not meaning to start a Horner fight here, but I bet all my money (which isn't a lot incidentally) that if it were Horner who had done that, the words 'When You Wish Upon A Star' would not be found anywhere in the liner notes! The Khachaturianianenen piece is SO blatant a note-for-note rip that I'm shocked he wasn't sewed?

Just as bad as his blatant rip of Benjamin Britten in Natty Gann.

I suspect the use of a popular song is a whole different legal issue?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to find and record down every time Horner directly lifts from a 'classical' piece? And every time he reuses a theme and motif? That would make for an interesting list! Yes yes, I know you could do it for pretty much every composer, but Horner's the one who does it more frequently and blatantly than most other composers. (Which isn't something I'm necessarily vehemently against before someone gets their virtual fisty cuffs out.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to find and record down every time Horner directly lifts from a 'classical' piece? And every time he reuses a theme and motif? That would make for an interesting list! Yes yes, I know you could do it for pretty much every composer, but Horner's the one who does it more frequently and blatantly than most other composers. (Which isn't something I'm necessarily vehemently against before someone gets their virtual fisty cuffs out.)

Hmmmmm? A veritable minefield but it would be very interesting!? Perhaps a thread of it's own with everyone contributing where applicable.

Horner's use of Tchaikovsky in GORKY PARK doesn't count though......errrr....or does it!? dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I wonder if anyone's ever bothered to find and record down every time Horner directly lifts from a 'classical' piece? And every time he reuses a theme and motif? That would make for an interesting list! Yes yes, I know you could do it for pretty much every composer, but Horner's the one who does it more frequently and blatantly than most other composers.

I dunno. He's got more publicity from doing it than the others, but when it boils down to it most of the best film composers have done it a lot. I wish they would give credit, especially when it's note-for-note like in Aliens, or the Hanson in ET / Copland in Saving Private Ryan, don't really understand why they don't. Williams has done it frequently, Goldsmith did it, Zimmer does it all the time, there was a guy at FSM who made a huge list of all the pieces Jerry Fielding had used (uncredited) in his scores - don't really know why it's always Horner who takes the rap.

The point with When You Wish Upon a Star is that it was something everyone was going to recognise, and more to the point it was in copyright (held by Disney of all people - I doubt there would be a more aggressive pursuer of copyright violations than them) and so a financial payment would have to be made to use it. It's with the more famous pieces like that when credit tends to be given (because frankly it's doubtful that anyone in any position to do anything about it would even notice when it's something less famous) - it can get a bit dicey if you get caught out (as Horner was with whatever score he got the film company sued over - Batteries Not Included I think?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    (as Horner was with whatever score he got the film company sued over - Batteries Not Included I think?)

Glenn Miller rips?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    (as Horner was with whatever score he got the film company sued over - Batteries Not Included I think?)

Glenn Miller rips?

Add Cocoon to that.

NP : THE 3 MUSKETEERS - Michel Legrand

Fantastic score! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

Glenn Miller rips?

Strangely no... Raymond Scott and Nino Rota. I think there were two out-of-court settlements which is presumably a record (though frankly the use of Rota's Amacord is less blatant than Danny Elfman's shameless use of it in Pee Wee's Big Adventure).

I wonder whatever happened to that widely-reported story about Zimmer getting the film company sued over Holst in Gladiator (again, there are so many uses of The Planets in film scores it's hard to understand why they would single that one out).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Mission - Ennio Morricone

Third time today. Just heavenly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Troy (rejected score) - Gabriel Yared

This choir is EPIC!!! shocked punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote
    But the first two I mentioned are quite memorable to me and I can easily hum them.

They're nice, yeah, but I didn't find them particularly memorable.

Exactly. They are little motifs scattered through out. Is it just me are there less and less fully developed genuine themes being produced.

-Erik-

Yes, there are no themes anymore, Zimmer is THE devil himself, film music is almost dead and the world will be over by the end of the year. Wow, such negativity in this forum lately. rolleyes

You and Ralph CONTINUE to put words in my mouth. Again, this is a general comment made about film music in general not just solely directed at Zimmer. Zimmer fans... rolleyes Every time there is something negative to be said about film music you automatically think we are talking about Zimmer even when his name isn't even mention. BTW, you did realize that I was aiming my comment in the direction of Journey To The Centre of the Earth. Now, it might be just , but I don't think Zimmer composed that particular score... please, correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the theme comment... I didn't say that there aren't themes being created... I'm just saying there is less and less of those fully developed themes... something that you can hum for more than just four or five notes. A tune. A true tune in the tradition of let's say...Henry Mancini. I just heard a brilliant rendition of three of his themes on an album called Movie Memories. There is a wonderful concert arrangement of three of his tunes packaged into a nice 6 minute suite. We get the theme from Charade, Two For The Road and his legendary Moon River. Such magnificent, fully developed tunes and great stand alone pieces of music. We rarely get stuff like that anymore unless it's from the pen of a John Williams who take the time to craft concert arrangements of his main themes for the album. I miss that sort of thing in film music these days.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Erik Woods wrote
    You and Ralph CONTINUE to put words in my mouth.

Ehm... hello? No word from me since my final statement. And I intend to keep it that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    You and Ralph CONTINUE to put words in my mouth. John Williams is overrated! Republicans! Bandaids!

Piffle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    NP: Star Trek: Generations - Dennis McCarthy

What a fantastic main theme! punk

Favorite tracks:

1. Star Trek Generations Overture
    10. The Nexus / A Christmas Hug
    11. Jumping the Ravine
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Crysis | Inon Zur

Truly dreadful, synthy crap. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    NP: Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

This is what I like to call Goldsmith on autopilot, but he sure did know how to push the right buttons. This is a lot more subtle action score than Tyler's version, and a lot more focused as well. That main theme is good, not his best but gets enough play time in between and during the pounding action I've grown to like it. And the softer theme is something that only he could come up with, sweet and effective, while not original. But the biggest selling point is the score remains interesting for the duration of the album, which is not the case with Tyler. Goldsmith sure knew how to build up and always keep you entertained with new motifs and a relentless pace. Best is kept for last because the 11 minute finale = punk

My rating out of 5: biggrin biggrin biggrin and a half

So I prefer Goldsmith's version a bit more.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timeline is a personal favourite of mine. I'd give it cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy (that's the true rating system Mr. Co-Creator! biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MASADA - Jerry Goldsmith

The Slaves is one of the greatest singular tracks JG ever wrote, a big, powerful piece that is incredibly poignant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I hope it gets the deluxe treatment! Surely with all the Goldsmith scores being released these days, we will eventually see it happen?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I hope it gets the deluxe treatment! Surely with all the Goldsmith scores being released these days, we will eventually see it happen?

It truly deserves the deluxe treatment.

I'm pretty sure this album was a re-recording, the music sounded "weaker?" in the actual series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Some friends are round, and I've been ordered to put some film music on! shocked

So:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith

This is what Willis was talkin' 'bout.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Some friends are round, and I've been ordered to put some film music on! shocked

So:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith

This is what Willis was talkin' 'bout.

Cool friends cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, uni friends have traveled from far and wide to stay at my humble abode... i.e. my parents are on holiday for the weekend. Go figure! biggrin

Still, only a week and I'll be back for good. cool