• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    This is just lovely. LOVELY!
    What an underrated talent this Australian composer is. beautiful, romantic strings and orchestral writing with a true and rare ear for proper melody. I'm enjoying the HECK out of this!
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...beautiful........roMaNtic...........STRING!?!?! AND I DON'T HAVE IT ALREADY?! shocked

....rare...true....underrated TALENT!? WHEN DID MARTIJN TURN INTO DEMETRIS!? shocked

Post of the year! punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008
    NP: The Lion King - Hans Zimmer

spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    What an underrated talent this Australian composer is. beautiful, romantic strings and orchestral writing with a true and rare ear for proper melody. I'm enjoying the HECK out of this!
    Christodoulides wrote
    ...beautiful........roMaNtic...........STRING!?!?! AND I DON'T HAVE IT ALREADY?! shocked

....rare...true....underrated TALENT!? WHEN DID MARTIJN TURN INTO DEMETRIS!? shocked

Post of the year! punk

Alas to a world that doesn't believe in the underrated, rare and true. wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote

spin

You clearly don't care about bunnies. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    I've hit the point where I've got enough Horner in my collection to start hearing how much crap he copies from score to score. It's not nice hearing The Pagemaster in Casper, and Jumanji in Zorro. And I can only imagine it goes way beyond this. shame

But it's not "crap" that he copies is it? And don't just focus on the negative points of Horner, look at some of the amazing scores and pieces of music he has composed and appreciate that Lord Pessimist!

Oh, I'm not saying he doesn't come up with great stuff, but when I'm listening to a score, I don't want to think "oh here's that cue from *movie* again...".

I pretty much accepted that Horner copies himself more blatantly than most other composers a long time ago, and I've hit the point where it doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I've grown used to it and even in some places I like it! dizzy

But I agree with James, his lifts from various classical pieces is unforgivable if he is unwilling to credit the actual composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2008 edited
    Asche & Spencer - Chasing Henry
    from Stay

Still one of my favourite soundtracks!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rian wrote
    Asche & Spencer - Chasing Henry
    from Stay

Still one of my favourite soundtracks!

Stay is excellent, i never cease to love that score which was a very personal listen from day 1. Clearly their best work to date.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote

spin

You clearly don't care about bunnies. slant

Ouch tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ARMAND AMAR - La Jeune Fille Et Les Loups

Amar is turning into a Horner. More simplistic with each and every score and completely self-repetitive; however, i find what he does deeply enjoyable and i don't have a problem that all his albums during the last 3-4 years sound the same*

*apart the fact that he enriches his new scores with more and more Philip GLass each time
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    La Jeune Fille Et Les Loups [/b]

What is this crazy gibberish you speak!?
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    ARMAND AMAR - La Jeune Fille Et Les Loups

Amar is turning into a Horner. More simplistic with each and every score and completely self-repetitive; however, i find what he does deeply enjoyable and i don't have a problem that all his albums during the last 3-4 years sound the same*

*apart the fact that he enriches his new scores with more and more Philip GLass each time

I quite like that one, but you're right, there are at least two cues that I remember hearing in another score of his. He definitely has his sound, and I think that's what he's comfortable with. It will take another 10 scores of his before I start feeling like he's reached the Horner/Sarde level of familiarity.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    The Battlers - Carl Vine
    Christodoulides wrote

Post of the year! punk

Alas to a world that doesn't believe in the underrated, rare and true. wink

I never used the word masterpiece... smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote

spin

kiss
    wink

NP: Shawshank Redemption - Thomas Newman
    (Only the last 2 tracks this time - I don't have enough time to play all tracks because I have to study in silence)

So much beauty and emotion here...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Battle Beyond The Stars James Horner

Far from a brilliant performance from the orchestra, and not a particularly full recording, yet early-Horner's music is so irresistible that I don't care! I love this score.

In fact, I kind of like that the recording isn't Mr. Sparkle Fantastic super 24-bit and the orchestra isn't to LSO standards... it all gives it a certain charm IMO. (Don't get me wrong, I'd love to hear a rerecording of this score too.)

Played this a few days ago, very much of it's time but still great fun and shows a composer in his infant stages.

You know what would be the most awesome thing to happen in the history of mankind? If he adapted and reused the main theme and then used it in Avatar! I don't care if it's not appropriate, that theme is an absolute classic sci-fi theme! [/madfanboymode]

100% agree with you punk

I'd so welcome Horner re-visiting his older scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    In fact I've just given the theme to BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS a whirl! cool

And on to...

NP : THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY - Jerry Goldsmith

Another rollicking theme punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Journey To The Center Of The Earth - Andrew Lockington

Not exactly marvellous but it's definitely one of my top 10 of this year so far. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    DemonStar wrote
    NP: Journey To The Center Of The Earth - Andrew Lockington

Not exactly marvellous but it's definitely one of my top 10 of this year so far. wink

People are saying that it doesn't have any themes, but I hear several...maybe you have to listen to it in the film to understand, I don't know...they're pretty obvious to me. There's a main "journey" theme that's hear in the main title that is used in many different ways in the film, and then there's a family/loss theme that is given plenty of renditions in the middle of the score, and then there's a danger/adventure theme which I'm not sure if its removed enough from the "journey" theme to count as its own separate thing. But the first two I mentioned are quite memorable to me and I can easily hum them.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    But the first two I mentioned are quite memorable to me and I can easily hum them.

They're nice, yeah, but I didn't find them particularly memorable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yeah, I do think having seen the film three times, and liking it, makes me biased towards the score smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Scribe wrote
    Yeah, I do think having seen the film three times, and liking it, makes me biased towards the score smile

Maybe that will happen to me too when I see it! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote
    But the first two I mentioned are quite memorable to me and I can easily hum them.

Exactly. They are little motifs scattered through out. Is it just me are there less and less fully developed genuine themes being produced.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've been arguing that very point for some time now.
    Like Tom already alluded to: it seems as if the main purpose of film music has become to be as inoffensive a musical wallpaper as possible. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Erik Woods wrote
    Is it just me are there less and less fully developed genuine themes being produced.

I think you're right. Not many recent films have memorable themes, and the ones that do are often only memorable because the composer hammers them into your head in almost every track throughout the OST (Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    TheTelmarine wrote
    (Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?

Good one. But themes in At World's End are not overused, and yet greatly memorable. For example, the Hoist The Colours theme is used not too often but it is my favourite theme from the trilogy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Good one. But themes in At World's End are not overused, and yet greatly memorable. For example, the Hoist The Colours theme is used not too often but it is my favourite theme from the trilogy!

I'm no 'Zimmer basher' and I really like the POTC scores (for the most part), but that theme is so generic! It IS good and it does its job well, but my god, what a case of been there done that!?

Aliens James Horner

Why does James Horner not credit Strauss? Or Goldsmith for that matter! (Check out 'Futile Escape' to see if it reminds you of a certain 70's Goldsmith score for a certain 70's conspiracy movie.) Plagiarism aside, what a damn fine film score. Say what you will about Horner, when he gets things right, he gets things right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Sorry, but I was speaking more of The Curse of the Black Pearl. I love the three scores a lot, but the main theme just seems a bit overused.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?).

Pirates Of Theeeeeeee sleep ? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Scribe wrote

Exactly. They are little motifs scattered through out. Is it just me are there less and less fully developed genuine themes being produced.

-Erik-

Yes, there are no themes anymore, Zimmer is THE devil himself, film music is almost dead and the world will be over by the end of the year. Wow, such negativity in this forum lately. rolleyes
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I'm no 'Zimmer basher' and I really like the POTC scores (for the most part), but that theme is so generic! It IS good and it does its job well, but my god, what a case of been there done that!?

Aliens James Horner

Why does James Horner not credit Strauss? Or Goldsmith for that matter! (Check out 'Futile Escape' to see if it reminds you of a certain 70's Goldsmith score for a certain 70's conspiracy movie.) Plagiarism aside, what a damn fine film score. Say what you will about Horner, when he gets things right, he gets things right!

More to the point why does Horner not credit Aram Khakaturian ( Gayenne Ballet ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Anthony wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Pirates of the Caribbean, anyone?).

Pirates Of Theeeeeeee sleep ? wink

LOL biggrin It's not that bad (IMO, of course).