• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. James Horner - Flightplan

Not an ORIGINAL score, but definitely a CREATIVE one. What he does with rhythm and atonality is just at times shocking. Good work, though not one of the most listenable ones. Except the rating, I generally agree with Southall's review. You rarely get so detailed orchestral writing in a thriller and this one is far from being a drone. Also, Horner rarely pulls off psychological realism so well. Kudos for the effort, but not everybody's cup of tea.

To me the return to rhythmic ideas of Apollo 13 and Sneakers (the claves/woodblock rhythm, also a certain percussion instrument playing the rhythms from Master Alarm) is a welcome move. I for one loved that suspense style. Also I love the piano crashes. I always was kinda geeky about it biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    NP: The Horse Whisperer Thomas Newman

A lovely gentle score - one of my favourites from Newman - full of soothing piano and woodwind passages and gorgeous string and horn crescendos. A perfect package of a score. I also love some of the sound effects you can hear (crickets, frogs and various other animals), which really evoke a warm summer moonlit night. Fook, this is relaxing.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Christopher Columbus: The Discovery - Cliff Eidleman

I've not heard this score actually, which is not why I'm quoting this post. The quoting is more to remark that I'm appreciating your comments on Eidelman scores today!

Thank you. Thank you for taking notice. Honestly. Much appreciated, Michael!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote
    lp wrote:
    That's very true. But it's his opinion that it lacks a certain vibrancy in the action music, and that simply is not the case! He must be deaf from all those Zimmer scores...

Ahem!

wanting more vibrant action music != missing vibrancy in the action music.

What exactly is vibrant action music anyway? The action writing in The 13th Warrior sounds fantastic to me, and if that isn't "vibrant", then I'm not quite sure what is? Please do explain it to me, for I seem to lack the appropriate knowledge.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/vibrant

spin Eh? I thought Jordi just wanted more exciting (vibrant) action music, and was not complaining about the lack of energy (vibrancy) in the music.

Here is what Jordi said. "13 warrior lacks of vibrant action music." I take that as saying the score lacks vibrant action music which is false.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I've not heard this score actually, which is not why I'm quoting this post. The quoting is more to remark that I'm appreciating your comments on Eidelman scores today!

-Erik-

I wish I had the time to post at much length myself these days... dizzy

NP: Le Prix du Desir (Ludovico Einaudi)

Seems like a kind of noir-mystery score. I enjoy it. Taps into a similar feeling as Basic Instinct, but with a hint of Philip Glass to it.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

First listen on album...

This morning one track from this was played on SST. I liked it, so I went to a rental store and grabbed it.

Now on first track... I like it so far.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Keep playing (or should i say "can't stop playing") BASIL POLEDOURIS - Amerika

A mindbogglingly impressive and beyond words beautiful score, even with that i feel like i am failing it with words, this is music that can't easily be attributed as such. Brilliant.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

A lovely score, with brilliant themes, romantic interludes and splendid action moments. I like to call it Waterworld's little brother. I wish JNH would return to this style of composing, where he was at his creative peak. 'The Restored United States' and 'The Postman' are two of his best cues ever. And the less said about the horrible songs, the better. I've listened to them once and since then when I think about them I feel the urge to vomit

8/10
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    NP: P.S. I Love You

Well, here I am in a hotel room in Sparta (with an internet connection as you see smile ) going through some seminar material and waiting for a call to tell me in which town I'm going to be. I would lie if said I don't feel lonely away from home,away from my love so...just a message there.

P.S. Thank you all for your kind wishes! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a small world, Stavi.
    Even when you're lonely, many people are just a keystroke away.
    So you're never alone. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

Thank you dear! kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Keep playing (or should i say "can't stop playing") BASIL POLEDOURIS - Amerika

A mindbogglingly impressive and beyond words beautiful score, even with that i feel like i am failing it with words, this is music that can't easily be attributed as such. Brilliant.

Totally agree. In my Poledouris top 5, with Conan the Barbarian, Lonesome Dove, Quigley Down Under and Big Wednesday.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - First Blood - Jerry Goldsmith.

Good album. The Rambo theme is great and the action material sounds good and I remember it working very nicely in the movie too. The suspense material is nice, though I could go without a few cues... tongue
  4. NP: Torchwood - Ben Foster & Murray Gold

My first listen of this and I am very surprised that there is such good music contained on this CD. Listening to the music in the show it doesn't really stand out much but cues such as "The Chase", "Toshiko and Tommy" & "Death of Toshiko" show the breadth of the music composed for this Doctor Who spin-off.

This could be a worthy companion to Gold's music for Doctor Who.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Still working on She. There are now three films I want to see but are not available. She, Night Diggers, and Sea Wolf.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I feel tired sleep

NP : THE THING - Ennio Morricone

I'm gonna get half an hours kip and hopefully conjour up some semi-dream scary images.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Flightplan

Not an ORIGINAL score, but definitely a CREATIVE one. What he does with rhythm and atonality is just at times shocking. Good work, though not one of the most listenable ones. Except the rating, I generally agree with Southall's review. You rarely get so detailed orchestral writing in a thriller and this one is far from being a drone. Also, Horner rarely pulls off psychological realism so well. Kudos for the effort, but not everybody's cup of tea.

To me the return to rhythmic ideas of Apollo 13 and Sneakers (the claves/woodblock rhythm, also a certain percussion instrument playing the rhythms from Master Alarm) is a welcome move. I for one loved that suspense style. Also I love the piano crashes. I always was kinda geeky about it biggrin

Agree agree agree. I really enjoyed Horner's score in the film (which was okay, entertaining while it lasted).

Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

'Come O Come Emanuel' is a one of those pieces of music that just floors me. The counter melody in the male choir is stunning, and I can't help but hum along with it. A bloody great score, truly worthy of a Gerhardt-esque rerecording.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    NP: The Postman - James Newton Howard

A lovely score, with brilliant themes, romantic interludes and splendid action moments. I like to call it Waterworld's little brother.

I tend to compare it with Wyatt Earp.
  6. Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote

Thank you dear! kiss

Yeah. You're not alone.

Kali tihi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobinson
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    "Like dog chasing cars" Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard from "The Dark Knight"....

Excellent action cue!!
    Robinson
  7. Indeed.
  8. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

A lovely score, with brilliant themes, romantic interludes and splendid action moments. I like to call it Waterworld's little brother.

I don't have that one, so I took the next best thing.
    Oh how I'd like a 'Waterworld 2: The Search For More Land' right about now, with another masterpiece by the same composer of course... wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

I don't have that one, so I took the next best thing.
    Oh how I'd like a 'Waterworld 2: The Search For More Land' right about now, with another masterpiece by the same composer of course... wink

For that Waterworld 2 will have to be made.....I wouldn't wish that on many people.

p.s. the film is a scientific impossibility.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I don't have that one.

Do yourself a big favour and change that. Postman is a western at its heart, that´s why there are huge similarities with Wyatt Earp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Robinson wrote
    "Like dog chasing cars" Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard from "The Dark Knight"....

Excellent action cue!!

It would have been better if thay had used it in the film slant
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bear McCreary - Martial Law
    from Battlestar Galactica - Season 2

Love the horns in this piece.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    NP: Antarctica - Vangelis

Synth sound is at its best. Love it cool
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  10. NP: Twilight Zone: The Movie - Jerry Goldsmith

So, this is where THAT theme comes from! I heard it from all over the place, but never knew that it was from Twilight Zone. Very nice listen BTW.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    NP: Twilight Zone: The Movie - Jerry Goldsmith

So, this is where THAT theme comes from! I heard it from all over the place, but never knew that it was from Twilight Zone. Very nice listen BTW.

Really? Hmm, I assumed that was pretty common knowledge. Keep in mind the original theme, the bit you're familiar with, was Bernard Herrmann's doing for the original series.

Jerry Goldsmith's theme for the movie is fantastic, a classic Goldsmith melody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    smile Still working on She. Will be ready to conduct soon
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!