• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2013
    I hear Tyler will be scoring AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON? No surprise there.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Which Tyler? Brian or Bates? tongue I'm going to assume it's the one the thread is about. Still a bit bitter about Bates being chosen for GotG but I will approach that with an open mind.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Why are Marvel so intent on having no musical continuity whatsoever!? Silvestri came up with perhaps the strongest theme in all the Avengers films (twice, in fact). That theme should be THE Avengers theme! crazy Studio executives should be lined up against the wall. slant

That said, thank Odin Joss Whedon is returning to direct.
  1. A bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

D.A.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. This just in: OMG friggin breakin' news alert:

Brian Tyler has siogned to score every fucking movie coming out.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Why are Marvel so intent on having no musical continuity whatsoever!? Silvestri came up with perhaps the strongest theme in all the Avengers films (twice, in fact). That theme should be THE Avengers theme! crazy Studio executives should be lined up against the wall. slant

That said, thank Odin Joss Whedon is returning to direct.

I am sure if Brian Tyler scores the film he will use the Avengers theme. If anything, he's the one who finally will bring some sort of continuity to the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You say that, but not even Silvestri used his Captain America theme in The Avengers. He hinted at it, but didn't use it. And I can bet my life it was a studio decision. Fucktards, the lot of 'em.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2013
    But Tyler was the one who brought the Captain America theme back in Thor 2. Tyler understands, even if the studio tards don't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    But Tyler was the one who brought the Captain America theme back in Thor 2. Tyler understands, even if the studio tards don't.

If Tyler understood then he would have brought back Doyle's original Thor theme as well. So, I guess Tyler's kind of a tard as well. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Do you know for a fact he wasn't disallowed or discouraged from bringing it back? Doyle's theme is my favorite part of the Marvel scoreverse but it doesn't quite fit with any other music written for the franchise; I can see that they might have wanted to move away from it.
  3. I'm guessing Tyler didn't mind using the Cap theme in a quick cameo but didn't want to build an entire score around someone else's theme...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2013 edited
    He seemed quite happy to re-arrange "It's A Long Road" for his Rambo score, as well as all his references in AvP: Requiem, so I feel like he's the kind of composer who has a lot of respect for the composers that came before him on a franchise. But most of the time, the new films are so different that it would hardly even make sense to actually build the whole score around the previous theme. Doyle's Thor score was for a different, more traditional kind of film than Thor 2 - which, absurdly, wanted to be hip and cool and modern, while still being about Norse gods - ending up being. Could he have skillfully re-arranged Doyle's theme to work in that context? Probably. But I like what ended up happening, and I can't wait to see what he does for Avengers 2, if he is truly working on it.
  4. Yeah, Tyler's good for paying homages...Rambo, AvP:R, The Final Destination...but even in those scores the other composers' material is used as a supplement to, not the backbone of, the score. I think the only way we could have had a different composer use the same themes extensively in a case like Thor 2 would be to get something like John Debney's Predators...and that was only possible because of Debney's rather unique workmanlike ethos, his lack of ego and/or ambition, whichever way you want to put it.

Still, with his own original themes now in place for Iron Man (a good one) and Thor (a not-so-good one, but at least it's one), I do welcome the idea of him scoring Avengers 2. But please, please, let it be a multithematic score this time. Come on, studio execs. People are generally intelligent enough to handle more than one theme in a film score. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    And even if they're not intelligent enough, it doesn't actually hurt anything to have the themes there, as Shore's Hobbit work shows.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    I don't know how much particular weight this adds but MV of La La Land Records heard Silvestri was returning. So far this all seems to be internet rumour.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    I'd take Tyler over Silvestri's output during the last few years, anytime.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I agree, but I would rather Silvestri returns for the next Avengers film since he'll be able to build on his own themes.... you know, for some fucking continuity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited
    What themes? Avengers was the most athematic, monochrome score in the entire history of Top 25 box office successes. The score was one of the only things about the film that disappointed me. The very epitome of passionless, paint-by-numbers functionality. No offense to anyone who likes it. I sort of enjoy it on occasion. It is, as I said, very functional. And occasionally fun.
  5. yeah

Collects dust on my shelf. Never heard it again.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm as disappointed in Silvestri's post-MUMMY efforts as everyone else -- but there HAVE been occasional exceptions since then. This year, an exception was THE CROODS which offered quite a few new intriguing themes; very colourful (that's the way I remember it from the film anyway, I haven't heard the album).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, I liked the themes and orchestrations in Croods.
  6. Thor wrote
    I'm as disappointed in Silvestri's post-MUMMY efforts as everyone else -- but there HAVE been occasional exceptions since then. This year, an exception was THE CROODS which offered quite a few new intriguing themes; very colourful (that's the way I remember it from the film anyway, I haven't heard the album).

Silvestri's score in a Brian Tyler thread? A rather clumsy way to shoe-horn in Tyler into this discussion I think! wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Scribe wrote
    What themes? Avengers was the most athematic, monochrome score in the entire history of Top 25 box office successes. The score was one of the only things about the film that disappointed me. The very epitome of passionless, paint-by-numbers functionality. No offense to anyone who likes it. I sort of enjoy it on occasion. It is, as I said, very functional. And occasionally fun.

I wasn't a huge fan of the score, but it certainly has a theme, one that I can easily recall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yup! I have no problem recalling THE AVENGERS theme. I would agree with Matt that the score was disappointing from the point of view that this was that years biggest film and biggest box office hit and it got a pretty generic and unremarkable score.*

*I still find it an individually enjoyable listen though.
  8. christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

I wasn't a huge fan of the score, but it certainly has a theme, one that I can easily recall.

it even has 2 THEMES, the main theme is of course evident, but we have the Black Widow theme as well, restraint in "Interrogation" and "Red Ledger", and returning with a vengeance in "I Got a Ride". So theme-less it isn't whatsoever.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited
    I don't remember the main theme, even though I've seen the film 3 or 4 times, and listened to the score 10-15 times. It's so generic, and is used so little in the film, that it just won't stick in my mind.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Oh come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!

You listened to the score 10-15 times and you don't recognise THIS as THE AVENGERS THEME!????
  9. I don't think I could listen to any score 10 times, no matter how bland, and not be able to remember a theme from it (unless it is completely devoid of themes, which even in these times is still a rarity). And I do find that Avengers theme memorable (though nothing particularly special either).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ok, now I am remembering it, since people keep saying "Avengers theme", lol. But it's so generic. Whatever that even means.