• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014
    Scribe wrote
    Ok, now I am remembering it, since people keep saying "Avengers theme", lol. But it's so generic. Whatever that even means.

I like the "melody" a lot but I'm not a fan of the orchestrations surrounding it. Silvestri did a much better job with his Captain America theme... but that score is pants as well.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    And then Silvestri made less of an effort to use his Captain America theme in the Avengers movie that had endless opportunities for it, whereas Tyler uses Silvestri's theme in Cap's only appeared on Thor 2. Thus why Tyler seems a slightly more optimistic choice for Avengers 2 as far as thematic continuity.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    And then Silvestri made less of an effort to use his Captain America theme in the Avengers movie that had endless opportunities for it, whereas Tyler uses Silvestri's theme in Cap's only appeared on Thor 2. Thus why Tyler seems a slightly more optimistic choice for Avengers 2 as far as thematic continuity.

I'm pretty sure Silvestri used it... or at least "hinted" at it in The Avengers score. But I do agree that it was a wasted opportunity.

And we've been over the use of Silvestri's Cap. America theme in Thor 2. It still boggles the mind that Tyler felt that Thor needed a new theme yet Captain America could still have his old one. dizzy

BTW, we all know it's not up to the composer whether he uses the old themes or not. So, saying that Tyler is a better fit than Silvestri is silly. Joss Weadon's calling the shots and if he wants the old themes or just one grand theme for all of the Avengers a la the first film then that's what Tyler will have to deliver. Don't hold your hopes for thematic continuity.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    It still boggles the mind that Tyler felt that Thor needed a new theme yet Captain America could still have his old one. dizzy

Erik Woods wrote
    BTW, we all know it's not up to the composer whether he uses the old themes or not.

These 2 statements seem contradictory to my feeble brain. slant
    It seems like you're first criticizing Tyler for not choosing to re-use Doyle's theme, then saying Tyler had no choice. Was it Tyler's fault or not? I think I need more sleep.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I should rephrase my thought. Writing a film score is a collaborative endeavour but in reality the director (or producer) has the final say as to how he wants the music to fit the film. Who knows how much creative freedom Tyler had on Thor and who really made the suggestion to change Thor's theme. I guess maybe we should just praise and/or criticize the name on the front cover of the album. wink

Anyway, I still think it's rather silly, whomever came up with the idea, to re-score Thor's theme but still utilize Silvestri's Captain America theme in Thor 2.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Who gives a f@ck about Captain America, enough as to write him a new theme; he's a wuss. Now, Thor on the other side wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Scribe wrote
    These 2 statements seem contradictory to my feeble brain. slant
    It seems like you're first criticizing Tyler for not choosing to re-use Doyle's theme, then saying Tyler had no choice. Was it Tyler's fault or not? I think I need more sleep.

It's likely not Tyler's fault, but he kind of made it his issue with his statement that an older Thor "needs" a new theme. Whether that's just a justification to cover up the actual reasons for dropping Doyle's theme (directorial or producer meddling, not wanting to pay royalties to Doyle, whatever) or an actual artistic decision is up in the air, but taken at face value it's the latter, and therefore worthy of ridicule. Either way, I wish there was a bit more honesty from everyone involved. If the producers didn't want Doyle's theme, fine. Just admit it. If Tyler was the one who wanted to write his own theme, fine. Just admit it. Don't come up with some thin justification that doesn't hold up in the slightest.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can't remember Doyle's Thor theme.

Tylers, while generic, I had in my head leaving the cinema. Is that a good thing? You decide.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's because you've already heard Tyler's theme a thousand times before.
  2. One thing with Tyler is that his PR sucks. I mean, the guy can't say anything interesting about his work at all. When he talks about the geeky stuff (his love for music, instruments, all that stuff), he's a great funny guy. But when he is asked about his work proper, well:

"Well, The Expendables are one group. They are several guys, but one group, so they have one theme" - Expendables.

The masterpiece, however, was Thor 2 and Iron Man 3:

"Tony Stark is just a guy and Thor is of course a god, so they're not similar. I tried to sound a bit different and use the big choir and orchestra to make it sound different, but I used the same instruments".

Well, thanks biggrin .

The guy is very nice, he's a great nerd and I started to like his music, but when it comes to interviews, I'd take Hans any day if only for his one-liners. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2014
    Steven wrote
    That's because you've already heard Tyler's theme a thousand times before.

yeah
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014 edited
    I know Tyler doesn't write the most original music, but the one thing I admire is his work ethic.

Everything has a certain quality to it. If someone says "Brian Tyler is going to score ____" I immediately know it will be of a particular standard.

Then there's the sheer amount that he does - 2013 had Standing Up, Army Of Two, Iron Man 3, Now You See Me, Thor 2 and Assassin's Creed. I don't think Desplat even did that much.

And finally it's how many instruments he plays. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's him doing everything you hear on Assassin's Creed.

His themes get repeated every so often, but damn he still works hard.

And screw is "PR" ability. If he needs to improve one thing it's producing a decent album that's not 80 minutes long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2014
    I've sampled a lot of Tyler scores recently (promos), and none of them have really appealed to me. Enough with the drums already! Only one soundtrack has managed to survive in my collection, and that is his TRANSFORMERS stuff. I had hoped his score for STANDING UP would be a different kettle of fish -- more softspoken and intimate, given the nature of the film -- but after a few nice tracks in the beginning, even this succumbs to drum hell. WTF?

That being said, I love to follow him on facebook, with all his "show off" pics where he meets celebrities all over the place. He's probably the most swingin' film composer out there, regardless of the quality of the music.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Anthony wrote
    I know Tyler doesn't write the most original music, but the one thing I admire is his work ethic.

Everything has a certain quality to it. If someone says "Brian Tyler is going to score ____" I immediately know it will be of a particular standard.

Then there's the sheer amount that he does - 2013 had Standing Up, Army Of Two, Iron Man 3, Now You See Me, Thor 2 and Assassin's Creed. I don't think Desplat even did that much.

And finally it's how many instruments he plays. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's him doing everything you hear on Assassin's Creed.

His themes get repeated every so often, but damn he still works hard.

And screw is "PR" ability. If he needs to improve one thing it's producing a decent album that's not 80 minutes long.

Tyler can release a decent 50+ album if he feels like it (Far Cry 3, Expendables 2). He just hates making selections of material, not knowing what would his fanbase count as missing, himself being a huge film score geek.

Tyler's work ethic in terms of overachieving is indeed admirable, maybe except the period somewhere after Eagle Eye until Expendables 2 when he was basically sitting in his comfort zone with not much development (which started, I deem, with Expendables 2, when he actually started to move more around the sections in his orchestrations).

The repetition of themes is a structural idea he has, not really just blasting it because he's got anything else to do. I think that with his kind of phrasing and writing this fits quite well and I will defend that, even citing the basic source of this kind of thematic methodology. He's an obvious "pupil" of Jerry Goldsmith in that regard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, now if he would only get a little more like Goldsmith in his theme-writing ability. That should be his next focus.
  4. You know, I see these Thorish arguments cropping up more and more.

Tyler could release a decent 79 minute album if there was 79 minutes of decent material. Even a decent 2CD set.

A good score doesn't need to be relegates to 50 minites, and can stand on its own as a full release.

We're making caveats for inferiors scores. How about the score for each film he does improves so it can with stand a 70+ minute release rather than making excuses that somewhere in the loud drum hell mess you could prune 50 decent minutes.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I love the drums. I want all the drums. The thing that bores me about Tyler scores are the droning suspense music that inevitably crops up in the middle of the album. At least with 79 minute scores, justin can get rid of the drums, and I can still have them, and delete the droney stuff while I'm at it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like some of Tyler's work but I've heard nothing that's knocked me out as yet, and yes, his drumming gets tedious fast.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2014
    Tyler is grand and fun, absolutely love it!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Tyler fills the gap for Zimmer when you don't like Zimmer. smile
  5. Not quite, I think such a statement is not a positive one for either Hans or Tyler biggrin .

That said, it's interested how the RCP elements are ingrained into his style, which is both cool (because he reworks them in fuller orchestral environment) and not cool (with his classical education he could take it somewhere else) at the same time.

I do sometimes wish that Tyler's orchestrations were more creative in terms of actually giving the orchestra a place to breathe. He did that sometimes in Expendables 2 and those moments when he played around with the instrumental sections were the most fresh in that score.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Tyler is grand and fun, absolutely love it!

Yes; he gets really old after about the thirtieth or so loud pounding action score, though.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes; he gets really old after about the thirtieth or so loud pounding action score, though.

By the thirtieth!?? Boy, but your pain threshold is far far higher than mine Edmund.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

By the thirtieth!?? Boy, but your pain threshold is far far higher than mine Edmund.

Mostly just referring to his career as a whole...I'd probably go insane after the third. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I find that Tyler is not the sort of composer to just sit there with your full attention and just listen to, but he does make good music for exercise (perfect for when you want to listen to film music, but it needs to be pumped). Context makes a huge difference.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    When I've been seriously training I tend towards dance/techno for extra motivation, but yeah, I can see how Tyler would help pass the time while sweating.

With my level of fitness now I'm probably at a romantic Georges Delerue score pace of exercising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I probably could do with some dance/techno music for working out... I just can't bring myself to betray my iPod like that. I just can't do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ooh, while we're on topic, what foods would you recommend for pre-workout and energy? Sometimes I just don't have the energy to do a full workout, and other times I have excess energy. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ooh, while we're on topic, what foods would you recommend for pre-workout and energy? Sometimes I just don't have the energy to do a full workout, and other times I have excess energy. dizzy

What? Ask a fat bloke who hasn't trained in a year and a half??? dizzy wink

Obviously carbohydrates. Ideally a big bowl of pasta or rice a good two hours or more before training, slow burning carbs are the best way for storing energy, it's boring but you can always tart-up rice or pasta ( if you don't cook or prepare food yourself get something simple like easy to make Bachelors savoury rice etc ), bananas are number 1 for healthy carbs, two bananas and an orange a couple hours before should fire you up.

I'd also recommend some kind of energy drink you can sip between training sets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, thanks! I will give that a try later. This is exactly what I come to the Brian Tyler thread for! beer